Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Friendliness in Tucson, AZ vs. Boston, MA vs. New York City, NY vs. Miami, FL vs. Philadelphia, PA
Tucson, AZ 31 40.79%
Boston, MA 11 14.47%
New York City, NY 10 13.16%
Miami, FL 7 9.21%
Philadelphia, PA 17 22.37%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 09:59 AM

49 posts, read 63,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Starfighter View Post
Did you find Amarillo to be similarly closed off innthe same fashion its sister city Lubbock was?

Were Amarillo folks more open compared to Lubbock? I'm extremely interested.to know about this.
Ehhh, Amarillo sucks. Lubbock is a lot nicer than Amarillo. The people in Amarillo I think are worse than Lubbock people. The people do seem more closed off than in Lubbock. Lubbock has Texas Tech, so that attracts transplants mostly from other Texas cities. Amarillo is all locals for the most part. West Texas A&M seems more of a commuter school than UTEP. UTEP at least has some transplants and some international students, even though it's a commuter school. Now if you really want a small town feel, go to Midland/Odessa. Those two side by side cities are very closed off. Lubbock is the best in the Panhandle. Amarillo comes in 2nd place. Midland/Odessa would be last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 03:07 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,707,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Can't speak for Tucson, as it's the only one of the five I've never visited.

But generally speaking, the further west one travels in this country, the friendlier the residents get.
I don't agree with that statement at all. The West Coast is far less friendly than the Midwest or South.

Old 03-19-2018, 04:52 PM

Nevada I've heard is a very friendly state. Arizona is a mix. I feel Tucson and Phoenix kind of have the same type of people, either you will meet someone who is nice or someone who is rude. Northern California is not a friendly part. San Francisco people are kinda mean and self-centered. Los Angeles people are ok. San Diego has a friendly population. So really, it differs in the west. I'd say Nevada is probably the friendliest state, but it's not somewhere I'd ever want to live in. I like Arizona better. Nevada is way too touristy.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Starfighter View Post
Don't know where you heard NV is friendly, but you heard wrong. I've spent ample time in both Reno and Vegas, not to mention many teency places in between, and if there's one thing I wouldn't say NV is, it's friendly. Carson City, not friendly at all, Virginia City, ditto.

NorCal is not friendly, but SF people are much more friendly than they are perceived as not to be. I've lived all over the city, just to qualify the statement.

LA is... their own brand of friendliness, but I'd still take it over the SD friendly which feels much more "put on" to me than the LA version.

Just my personal observations over the years.
I've read other posts on other websites that mentions Nevada is friendly. One of my relatives also says people in Vegas come off as rude. I'm curious, in what ways? I've only been to Vegas about 5 times in my life and each time only spent 2-3 nights. I have only seen rudeness on the roads, such as the drivers not letting you into their lane and trying to race with you. Maybe I need to spend more than 3 nights there and see how it's really like.

It could be possible that if one really wants friendliness, you have to travel more southeast to southeastern states such as Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, etc. That or go more up Midwest. Seems like it could be that the entire Southwest and West coast are all the same. I don't mind it personally, but for someone who wants really friendly people, the west may not be suitable, depending on where you are. For me, I've already made my friends and social circle in Tucson. It doesn't matter much for me.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:36 PM

Hello,

Tucson is a friendly city. Realized that today. I won't say anything else.

Sincerely,
Wetmoreoracle

Old 03-20-2018, 11:52 PM

300 posts, read 440,856 times
Tuscon is winning this because they aren't an East Coast city. They aren't "nice", they're just California transplants. Against any midwest city they'd have 0 votes because the easterners would vote for the midwesterners or themselves.

Old 03-21-2018, 04:48 PM

Actually, Tucson people are very friendly and warm compared to other places and also laid back. I realized this yesterday. With that being said, I think maybe sometimes I take things too personally and I am a sensitive person. I need to learn not to take things too personally. But yeah, compared to Boston or NYC, Tucson is warm.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:31 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,180,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
NYC is mean compare to other cities
Really? I've been there dozens of times and I've always found people in NYC to be incredibly friendly.

Old 03-23-2018, 03:42 AM

1,122 posts, read 923,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetmoreoracle View Post
El Paso is not really a city you want to be in. The people were very cliquey and somewhat unfriendly. Though everyone kept telling me how the people in EP are friendly, I had a completely different experience. I encountered very rude and ignorant people. I never made any friends and no one wanted to hang out or do anything, unless it was with their preschool friend. If your not Hispanic, your gonna get treated badly. RGV has a much friendlier population than EP. The city itself is so boring and run down. I used to refer to El Paso as North Juarez. Glad I left. I met quite a few people in Tucson compared to in El Paso. Overall, people in EP are friendly to some extent, but won't ever go beyond strangers, unless you grew up there and made friends in Elementary School.
North Juarez. omfg. This post is amazing. prescient and dead on accurate. i lived there 3 years.

Btw, i found the people in Juarez somewhat friendlier. Not by much, granted. But an upgrade.

You can say similar things about Miami. Almost.

Old 03-24-2018, 04:25 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,506,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Can't speak for Tucson, as it's the only one of the five I've never visited.

But generally speaking, the further west one travels in this country, the friendlier the residents get.

Philadelphians, however, are friendlier than both residents of other Northeast cities and the city's reputation might have you believe. We've come out smelling like a rose in a couple of surveys that attempted to determine how welcoming and helpful residents of various cities were to visitors.
If judging Philly by its Eagles fans and how they regularly assault opposing fan in and near their stadium, then Philly is one of the most unfriendly cities in the nation. I've experienced this TWICE here. Never have anywhere else when following my Panthers, other than some friendly, good natured ribbing. Never when there after the 2nd experience and never will again. It's a shame, because Philly itself seems to be a great metro with so, so much to offer. smh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City