Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: most fun and stuff to do
Austin 50 39.06%
Minneapolis 40 31.25%
Denver 38 29.69%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 03:45 PM

8,863 posts, read 6,865,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
It’s definitely no shopping destination, but there’s not much need to put everything downtown when Cherry Creek is 3 miles away. Downtown still has all the basics though (A few Department stores, clothing stores groceries stores, restaurants, etc). I’d say it’s more generic than it is limited.
"Department store" usually means something large...I think of those as 100,000 sf at least. (Not counting the typical county seat in Iowa that had a JC Penney in 1960.) Denver used to have the urban kind (think May D&F) but doesn't anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 03:49 PM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Fun is a broad word. Never been to Minneapolis but if you just want to get sloshed, around a big crowd austin is hard to beat. 6th street has close to fifty bars on it. I don’t think Denver has that high of a concentration. I know, some will say I’m a Homer but I left Austin a nd Love in Denver.

Old 03-18-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Denver is the definition of generic media hipster/Yuppie darling. At least Austin has 6th street and SXSW to give it a little edge and culture. Denver's not even in the mountains or hills. Flat and boring terrain. It has some urbanity, but to me, it's just a wannabe Seattle with better weather.
when I moved to Denver I expected it to be a sunnier Seattle. Not even close. Reminds me more of a Midwest kind of town

Old 03-18-2018, 03:56 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,986,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
when I moved to Denver I expected it to be a sunnier Seattle. Not even close. Reminds me more of a Midwest kind of town
Yep. Don't tell some locals that though as they think Denver is a west coast city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I've lived in Denver and Mpls-St. Paul. A son of mine lived in Austin for many years. I visited often.

Austin.
Please elaborate because there are all these votes for Austin and no reasons given. Well, there are a few, but from people who haven't been to all three metro areas.

Quote:
Downtown Denver has a 1.25 Mile long mall packed with restaurants and retail from beginning to end. I wouldn’t call that limited. City Target will be opening on 16th Street this Summer and the largest Grocery store Downtown is King Soopers (A Kroger chain) in LoDo.
Yeah, I wouldn't say downtown Minneapolis is much more active in terms of retail than downtown Denver. Neither downtown impress me much in regards to bars and restaurants. As far as grocers, downtown MPLS has a full-service Target (433,000 sq feet compared to the much smaller CityTargets, which are between 12,000 and 60,000 sq feet), Whole Foods, Lunds & Byerlys, and will soon have Trader Joe's so I think they're covered in regarding grocers.

Last edited by YIMBY; 03-18-2018 at 05:00 PM..

Old 03-18-2018, 04:50 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,702,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
"Department store" usually means something large...I think of those as 100,000 sf at least. (Not counting the typical county seat in Iowa that had a JC Penney in 1960.) Denver used to have the urban kind (think May D&F) but doesn't anymore.
I see what you’re saying. Nothing that large, but Ross and TJ Maxx are technically considered department stores, although they aren’t substantial.
Quote:
I mean, lord knows why you or anyone else thought this, considering Denver’s in the middle of the country, 1,300 miles away from Seattle and literally borders the Midwest. Who would’ve thought Denver wasn’t Seattle? A mystery

Old 03-18-2018, 05:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Yes, from what I've seen, Denver and Minneapolis seem to have more variety, including upscale retailers. I could be wrong though.

Keep in mind, I haven't been all over Austin and its suburbs. Austin, itself, is sprawling city that takes up 298 sq miles whereas as Minneapolis is only 55 sq miles. An apples to apples comparison in terms of land area would include Minneapolis, St. Paul and about 25 of their suburbs - (I doubt I have been to most of those burbs)

MSP has more variety than both Denver and Austin - Hmong, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Indian, Korean, Ethiopian, Sushi and Tex-Mex (who doesn't have Tex-Mex?), etc... You can have your BBQ.

Yeah, yeah. The Denver and Austin areas are currently growing at a faster rate than the Minneapolis area, but it's not like no one is moving to Minneapolis - the MSP MSA has grown over 6% since 2010. As far as jobs are concerned, the Minneapolis area offers plenty of high-paying, professional jobs. It's one of the top metros for medical device manufacturing, banking and finance, retail, agriculture and food, healthcare, etc... As long as the Minneapolis area maintains a strong, diverse, and highly educated economy, it will continue to grow at a healthy rate. The fact that the state government and one of the country's largest research universities are located there helps too.

Minneapolis has been a major stop for national and start-up bands for decades and has one of the best local music scenes in the country. As far as music festivals, it has one of the largest, if not the largest, hip-hop festivals in the country - Soundset. SXSW has become... meh. I went four years straight and it got progressively worse. Also, I could care less about Formula 1, NASCAR or whatever motorhead event you think is entertaining so... good for Austin. Also, if we are going to talk lakes, camping, tubing, sailing, etc... that's going to MPLS.
What a joke! My daughter moved from Denver to Minneapolis 4 years ago, says she hasn't found a decent Mexican restaurant. Whenever she mentions that to the Minnesotans, they say "You should try "Restaurant XYZ" to which she usually replies, "I did". No, Minne doesn't have decent Mexican, whatever you want to call it. Where do you get the idea there are no Hmong, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Indian, Korean, Ethopian and Sushi restaurants in Denver.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...Y_OVERVIEW_BOX
The Flat-Out Best Ethiopian Food in Denver - DiningOut Denver/Boulder
Plus much more.

Quote:
Like Minneapolis?

Old 03-18-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
I see what you’re saying. Nothing that large, but Ross and TJ Maxx are technically considered department stores, although they aren’t substantial.

I mean, lord knows why you or anyone else thought this, considering Denver’s in the middle of the country, 1,300 miles away from Seattle and literally borders the Midwest. Who would’ve thought Denver wasn’t Seattle? A mystery
Media hype. I thought the people would be more like the left coast but they’re not. But I’m ok with that.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:29 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,986,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
What a joke! My daughter moved from Denver to Minneapolis 4 years ago, says she hasn't found a decent Mexican restaurant. Whenever she mentions that to the Minnesotans, they say "You should try "Restaurant XYZ" to which she usually replies, "I did". No, Minne doesn't have decent Mexican, whatever you want to call it. Where do you get the idea there are no Hmong, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Indian, Korean, Ethopian and Sushi restaurants in Denver.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...Y_OVERVIEW_BOX
The Flat-Out Best Ethiopian Food in Denver - DiningOut Denver/Boulder
Plus much more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Starfighter View Post
Agree, Denver is a clear cut above Minne when it comes to dining.
Hahaha. I've been going to Denver since the late 90s and have lived in Minneapolis for over a decade now. I have been out to plenty of restaurants in both areas and Minneapolis (along with St. Paul) has a better mix of ethnic food than Denver. Also, I never stated there isn't Hmong, Vietnamese, Cambodian, etc.. in Denver. However, some of those ethnic communities are larger and more established in the Minneapolis area than Denver; meaning there is more to choose from. Similar to how the Mexican population is larger and more established in Denver and Austin than Minneapolis. One would expect to find more as well as better Tex-Mex in those two markets than in the Twin Cities area.

Last edited by YIMBY; 03-18-2018 at 09:17 PM..

Old 03-18-2018, 10:39 PM

158 posts, read 144,356 times
I think you can find fun things to do in all 3 of these cities. If you can’t, then it’s not the city that is boring, it’s you.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:43 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Starfighter View Post
Denver to my mind, when compared in the context of the other two options in the thread, just tries the least. It just is Denver. That's the clear winner in my book.

Minne tries damn hard to be cool and is far too self-aware of its own haughty, narcisscistic self-image.

The same can be said for Austin, which is just a grungier-alt version of Minne's own vainglorious personality complex. Austin however, goes one step further down that dark hallway, in that it's packed with folks who if you spend some actual time with them even one day, are constantly stating and restating that, "after all, they live in Austin", or tittering on, endlessly mentioning to you that "you're in Austin now", like it's some fifth dimension parallel world where only the hippest of the hip reside. Get over yourself Austin. You're just one big sweaty, stinky college town on a mix of nicotine and acid. You"re not half as unique, or as interesting, or as cutting edge as your terminally bloated ego would otherwise have you believe.

Denver, I don't love you, but I like you well enough. You come the closest of the three to correctly getting right that which a -truly- cool city should ultimately be.
A bit of hyperbole, but essentially, I agree about Minneapolis. (I have never been to Austin.)

I think Minneapolis/Denver is the answer to this question, below:
//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...ther-city.html
In fact, I think I said so in the thread, only to get crap from some of the Minne people. In point of fact, of the 60% of people in Colorado born elsewhere, only 1.2% are from Minnesota, with most of those from the M/SP area. IOW, most have no connection to Minne, and couldn't care less what's going on up there.
https://www.denverite.com/colorado-n...ulation-23886/

From YIMBY
Quote:
Hahaha. I've been going to Denver since the late 90s and have lived in Minneapolis for over a decade now. I have been out to plenty of restaurants in both areas and Minneapolis (along with St. Paul) has a better mix of ethnic food than Denver. Also, I never stated there isn't Hmong, Vietnamese, Cambodian, etc.. in Denver. However, some of those ethnic communities are larger and more established in the Minneapolis area than Denver; meaning there is more to choose from. Similar to how the Mexican population is larger and more established in Denver and Austin than Minneapolis. One would expect to find more as well as better Tex-Mex in those two markets than in the Twin Cities area.
Actually, you did, plus you said Minne's had more Tex-Mex than Denver:

Quote:
MSP has more variety than both Denver and Austin - Hmong, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Indian, Korean, Ethiopian, Sushi and Tex-Mex (who doesn't have Tex-Mex?), etc... You can have your BBQ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City