Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 08:34 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,405,781 times

Advertisements

The whole area is as is the west coast. High cost, too dense for my taste and nothing that makes me want to visit again. Ive lived in this corridor in the N NJ Suburbs of NYC. I know DC area well working for 6 months daily on a big merger that had me staying and working in Fairfax area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 08:39 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
undertones but more pervasive on the full body of work in CvC
Not getting "undertones" here but otherwise, both cities comprise a rather large CSA with more commuter interchange occurring as time goes by. It's simply a fact.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:42 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not getting "undertones" here but otherwise, both cities comprise a rather large CSA with more commuter interchange occurring as time goes by. It's simply a fact.

not disputing that at all

fun fact in comparison more absolute (smaller as a percentage) people commute between the Philly and NYC metros than do from among Balt and DC by more than twice the amount in absolute commuters

Old 03-25-2018, 09:53 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
not disputing that at all

fun fact in comparison more absolute (smaller as a percentage) people commute between the Philly and NYC metros than do from among Balt and DC by more than twice the amount in absolute commuters
I can absolutely believe that. It would be interesting to see the commuting flows between both metros.

Old 03-25-2018, 10:24 AM

14,162 posts, read 9,054,479 times
Quote:
I'm guessing the percentage is higher for Baltimore<->DC.

More people move from Philly to NYC and vice versa than between any other two cities in the country as well. For about the last decade, the population flow for the movers has been net towards Philadelphia. I think you all may be able to figure out one big reason why.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:41 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
But you know deep down that it really is. Those stats above don't take into account workers who commute or people who hang out after hours in each place. Anyone could walk around three separate pockets of each city in one day and could tell the difference. If you walked from NOMA neighborhood in DC all the way to Georgetown, you certainly would notice it's significantly more diverse than doing a Fells Point walk across downtown to West Baltimore.
I wouldn't say that honestly that would be a significant difference in diversity at all to be honest. I wouldn't say it is more diverse at all actually. What ethnic enclaves would you encounter on your trek in DC? Those stats don't take into account the people workers, and people hanging out in Baltimore either. Let's not get carried away.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:56 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I wouldn't say that honestly that would be a significant difference in diversity at all to be honest. I wouldn't say it is more diverse at all actually. What ethnic enclaves would you encounter on your trek in DC? Those stats don't take into account the people workers, and people hanging out in Baltimore either. Let's not get carried away.
It's not about an ethnic enclave per se. City and metro wide DC has more Asians, more Hispanics, more Africans, more Caribbeans, more middle Easterners etc than Baltimore period. IMO there is a decent size gap between the diversity in both even if we keep it to the city proper.

To answer you more directly however, you will find Ethiopian/ East Africans uptown as well as Salvadorians and other latinos, but they're mixed in a lot because DC (west of the river at least) is a pretty well integrated city. I know Puerto Ricans in NE, and East and West Africans in NW, there is a hell of a lot more diversity than it used to be.

Old 03-26-2018, 07:14 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,203 times
DC doesn't have true ethnic enclaves but DC is very diverse from a white collar integrated scenario as well. We have so many foreign nationals that reside here that work in the embassies, world bank, IMF, UN, NGO's etc. I have friends that work at random agencies from all over the world including the usual Germanies and Japans along with more obscure countries i.e. Kosovo, Mongolia, Kenya, Sri Lanka etc. and they for the most part live amongst the rest of us in DC.

Last edited by Ebck120; 03-26-2018 at 07:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City