Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best shopping city
Atlanta 31 29.25%
Charlotte 3 2.83%
Houston 13 12.26%
Nashville 7 6.60%
Dallas 46 43.40%
Orlando 6 5.66%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 07:01 AM

9,680 posts, read 9,387,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
What cities would you add? I was underwhelmed ny New Orleans when I visited.

Maybe you want to include DC?
Tampa, San Antonio, Austin, Baltimore, D.C...I was not impressed with New Orleans either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 07:32 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Dallas, if you consider that the South
Dallas has long had a large reputation as a shopping mecca, and IME has always lived up to it.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:14 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I love how Miami is often left out of discussions & polls about the South when it would be competitive.
Did you read the first post in the thread? It is assumed that Miami is top dog for this, which is why it was left out.

Even so, if Miami was included, it wouldn't be long before someone would say "Miami isn't the South" and we'd get into that whole discussion again. It's probably already headed there anyway since some have mentioned DC and Baltimore.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:12 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,218,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Dallas has long had a large reputation as a shopping mecca, and IME has always lived up to it.
Absolutely. Northpark is one of the best shopping centers in the country, hands down. Also, Highland Park Village is amazing as well. Dallas has always had a strong history as a fashion center, and it shows throughout the city.

And I'm saying this as a former resident of Atlanta, which is no slouch due to its location, but I give credit where credit is due.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Dallas is the south. Its not the desert southwest. But it not southeastern southern either.
Yes, I consider Dallas a southern - not a southeastern - city, but a lot of people do not for whatever reasons they have. It's in the Western South, and I respect it as such.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:23 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,276,819 times
Quote:
Absolutely. Northpark is one of the best shopping centers in the country, hands down. Also, Highland Park Village is amazing as well. Dallas has always had a strong history as a fashion center, and it shows throughout the city.

And I'm saying this as a former resident of Atlanta, which is no slouch due to its location, but I give credit where credit is due.
You’d say Dallas is ahead of Atlanta with the addition of shops buckhead Atlanta? I’m not being defensive, just genuinely curious because I do plan on visiting the new Dallas. Does it Out compete Atlanta in options or style of shopping venues?

Here is shops buckhead Atlanta (still streets of buckhead in my mind) partially completed:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C780XRX2o6U

I like this new approach for Atlanta.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:31 AM

9,680 posts, read 9,387,327 times
Quote:

I agree. Dallas wins for me due to the volume of stores and boutiques. The shopping environment is better because it is easier to get around and parking is available. I also feel like you don't have to be extra to go shopping in Dallas.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
You’d say Dallas is ahead of Atlanta with the addition of shops buckhead Atlanta? I’m not being defensive, just genuinely curious because I do plan on visiting the new Dallas. Does it Out compete Atlanta in options or style of shopping venues?

Here is shops buckhead Atlanta (still streets of buckhead in my mind) partially completed:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C780XRX2o6U

I like this new approach for Atlanta.
I sure do, because Dallas's history and reputation as a center for fashion retailing has been long cemented. I already said Atlanta is no slouch, so adding Buckhead Atlanta, while a great thing means that Atlanta is merely catching up with what Dallas has to offer, which vastly outpaces Atlanta in terms of boutiques and shopping centers...and Buckhead Atlanta had to deal with a lot of retailers and restaurants closing over the last year. Partially due to overall nationwide trends of people not shopping in malls like they used to, but the limited appeal of luxury shopping can be detrimental to a center such as Buckhead Atlanta, which primarily caters to luxury retail. Plunking down a southern version of Rodeo Drive in the middle of the community targeting people who often go out of town to NYC or London to shop wasn't the best idea in the world, but maybe the owners of the center are in it for the long-term. Also, quiet as its kept, Atlanta doesn't have enough wealth to sustain these types of centers compared to Dallas, DC, Houston, Miami, or LA/NYC. There are vast pockets of wealth there, but not to the degree of those cities.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:56 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,276,819 times
Quote:
I sure do, because Dallas's history and reputation as a center for fashion retailing has been long cemented. I already said Atlanta is no slouch, so adding Buckhead Atlanta, while a great thing means that Atlanta is merely catching up with what Dallas has to offer, which vastly outpaces Atlanta in terms of boutiques and shopping centers...and Buckhead Atlanta had to deal with a lot of retailers and restaurants closing over the last year. Partially due to overall nationwide trends of people not shopping in malls like they used to, but the limited appeal of luxury shopping can be detrimental to a center such as Buckhead Atlanta, which primarily caters to luxury retail. Plunking down a southern version of Rodeo Drive in the middle of the community targeting people who often go out of town to NYC or London to shop wasn't the best idea in the world, but maybe the owners of the center are in it for the long-term. Also, quiet as its kept, Atlanta doesn't have enough wealth to sustain these types of centers compared to Dallas, DC, Houston, Miami, or LA/NYC. There are vast pockets of wealth there, but not to the degree of those cities.
Interesting. Thanks for explaining that. I don’t know that I would say Atlanta doesn’t having the buying power to sustain what Dallas, DC and Houston can sustain. Even granting that more wealthy people live in these areas, I’m not sure this says anything about the market for the stores. Atlanta dominates the region. North Floridians, Alabamans, South Carolina and so on. DC, Dallas and Houston, while having moderately higher inner metro wealth, share their market with other large shoppping centers... or at least that’s what I intuit off the top of my head.

I do see Dallas is building this midtown project, which looks very nice.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iFAuA5wvM-M

Old 03-19-2018, 10:16 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Interesting. Thanks for explaining that. I don’t know that I would say Atlanta doesn’t having the buying power to sustain what Dallas, DC and Houston can sustain. Even granting that more wealthy people live in these areas, I’m not sure this says anything about the market for the stores. Atlanta dominates the region. North Floridians, Alabamans, South Carolina and so on. DC, Dallas and Houston, while having moderately higher inner metro wealth, share their market with other large shoppping centers... or at least that’s what I intuit off the top of my head.
I was going to say something similar. Atlanta draws more heavily from the overall region than the other cities mentioned so it would be a combination of residents and visitors that would sustain the high-end shopping market there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City