Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 11:37 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
It's larger because you're hours from the border of Mexico and 76% of your Latino diversity come from that one country. Another poster was just mentioning how they are so impressed by the inner American metros like Dallas, Houston, Atlanta etc having such high amount of immigrants, while not being traditional legacy or costal cities. Yet for Houstoners to turn around and take credit for how large their Latino numbers are while living hours away from the border and being in a border state, is kind of lopsided. In essence I see what you are saying and you probably understand what I mean as well. You're looking at it as glass half full, while I'm leaning more glass half empty.

Now if Houston had some wide gap in raw number of another subset of a nationality (not neighboring the country), then we could start talking about how impressive their country to country immigration stats are amongst the elites.

Btw I did not single out Houston here, I just said that the NYC and DC immigrant growth more so mirror one another in style (although NYC is obviously levels above DC numerically) while LA, Houston specifally have similar growth patterns that are similar also do to the amount of Mexican and other Central American immigrants they see being border states.

And yes for the record Houston is very diverse.
I said DFW, Chicago, and Atlanta. By what definition do you consider Houston an inland city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 11:41 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I said DFW, Chicago, and Atlanta. By what definition do you consider Houston an inland city?
It's not east or west coastal, so in the context of immigration and borders I think it's a valid comparison because physically people arrive in Houston, the same way they do Dallas and Atlanta. Overseas immigrants are not going to consider Houston a coastal city in the same breath they do with Boston, Miami, LA, or SF.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:42 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post

Houston is coastal in my book, similar to how Philadelphia is

Old 03-26-2018, 11:49 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
I thought recently that Houston received a good bit of their immigration from Central America along over Mexico in some years this decade. I also consider Houston to be coastal.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:52 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Let's not forget to mention that Houston is getting several immigrants from Central America and the Caribbean. Mexican immigration has been decreasing.
I don’t think the Mexican immigrants has been decreasing but the Central American immigrant numbers has been increasing overshadowing the Mexican immigrant. The Honduran population is increasing.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:52 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
I understand but proximity isnt what drives it now. Its about where there are already established communities. People move where they have family, friends, and/or can get jobs. Texas and California have many historical ties to Mexico but that isnt why Mexicans keep moving there. Its because they are so intertwined with each other now. Your Mexican immigrant isnt going to say "Ive got to Houston now Im completely exhausted, I cant go any further". That argument only works for places like El Paso, the Valley, and Laredo because they are between the border and the second border checkpoint. Once you get past Corpus Christi or San Antonio, it no longer matters if youre going to Houston or Boston.

Its the same reason why Houston is a such a massive magnet for Nigerians and Vietnamese, Dallas is for Indians, Minneapolis is for Somalis, and Atlanta is for Koreans. Its not for geographic reasons.
Correct and this reflects the type of immigration patterns seen in NYC- DC etc also, it's not just location based. It's more comprehensive that that.

The point I made about Houston was to know where does it separate itself from all other metro areas as #1 or 2 by far I'm Vietnamese Nigerian etc. to

Old 03-26-2018, 11:55 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I don’t think the Mexican immigrants has been decreasing but the Central American immigrant numbers has been increasing overshadowing the Mexican immigrant. The Honduran population is increasing.
I'd read where the Mexican immigration was decreasing or becoming stagnant since Mexico's economy was improving.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:08 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times
Quote:
I'd read where the Mexican immigration was decreasing or becoming stagnant since Mexico's economy was improving.
Undocumented immigrants from Mexico have been stagnant or negative since around 2006.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:13 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Its that Mexican immigration has slowed down, not that Mexicans are going home in mass or anything like that. During the height of Mexican immigration (the Bush years), you would see Los Angeles getting 25-30k Mexican immigrants a year while Houston, Dallas, and Chicago would bring in about 10-12k a year. Now that number is around 20k for LA and 7-8k for Houston, Dallas, and Chicago.

Its just that its slowed down.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:19 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Correct and this reflects the type of immigration patterns seen in NYC- DC etc also, it's not just location based. It's more comprehensive that that.

The point I made about Houston was to know where does it separate itself from all other metro areas as #1 or 2 by far I'm Vietnamese Nigerian etc. to
For sure. I think NYC, LA, and DC are definitely the most diverse in the US because they are the most well rounded. Id put the Bay Area next but I separate it because the Bay lacks significant African American and foreign born African. I think Chicago, Boston, and Houston (in no particular order are next) though they all have a weakness. Chicago lacks a significant foreign born African community, Boston's white population is a huge part of the total population, and Houston's Asian community is less than well rounded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City