Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best nightlife in the south
Atlanta 25 17.12%
Houston 5 3.42%
DC 5 3.42%
Miami 56 38.36%
Dallas 12 8.22%
Charlotte 2 1.37%
New Orleans 25 17.12%
Nashville 9 6.16%
Austin 7 4.79%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 05:46 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Only during the week.

On weekends (when the bulk of partying is) and holidays DC clubs/bars close at 3am or 3:30am, not to mention after hours spots.

There was a petition to extend it longer years back to 4/4:30am, but that failed instead they extended liquor store hours.
Off topic, I bet if a petition like that comes up again in the next few years, it will pass. However, I wish metro still ran late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 05:51 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Off topic, I bet if a petition like that comes up again in the next few years, it will pass.
I really thought it might have passed the last time, can't recall the city council's reasoning for it before. The way the city has grown however, I'd expect they revisit that topic in the future. Probably as the city proper grows closer to 800k.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:12 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,417,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
No Atlanta does not have the reputation of New Orleans.Only Miami really does,NOLA is not Miami for the same reasons its not Atlanta when it comes to nightlife.
Its overwhelmingly old bars and Blues/Jazz lounges. Thats its allure,Not posh dance clubs and lounges where celebrities spend thousands of dollars in one night.
New Orleans is not the place for you if you are a germaphobe.lol

Ive yet to find a nice upscale hip hop lub like they have in Atlanta.

There is partying and there is nightlife.I thought that was the topic?
TopGolf in Atlanta opens til 1am,
Several upscale Bowling places like the painted pin that offer upscale amenities like a full bar and upscale foods.
Many restaurants that open late serve more than bar food.
a rooftop amusement park at Ponce City Market with rides and games and a bar,

Its also about the dept of the offerings.NOLA might have one huge EDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I'm not sure if I'd include Top Golf as nightlife lol. There's that kind of bowling alley in New Orleans too, full bar and full dancefloor. There's also one downtown, I met Roman Harper at a rooftop bar in the CBD.

Upscale hip hop clubs? What do you mean exactly? Fancy places with just hip hop and majority black crowd every weekend? There's definitely that but if you mean Miami style exclusive clubs with $50 covers, then no.
Nothing you stated is really missing in NOLA besides celebrities throwing money at clubs, plus there's no last call and no open container law.
You said that nothing has been done in Miami that hasn't in Atlanta but not the case for NOLA. They have strip clubs and hip hop clubs, but y'all still have to throw away your drink at the door like smuggling drugs across a border. Atlanta has great nightlife but doesn't hold up to NOLA with l across the board. NOLA is likely superior in every category not named celebrities or strip clubs.
I don't know now, TopGolf is pretty fun at night, especially if you're with a bunch of friends. Not to mention that they have also bar area; they normally don't close till like 2AM. Atlanta does have a more "Upscale" nightlife compared to New Orleans, that includes the Black nightlife too.

BUT, I will say this; Atlanta's nightlife is sprawled and pretty much segregated as far as Clubs or Bars go. Places like TopGolf and The Painted Pin are nowhere near the popular, walkable nightlife areas.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:28 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,945,661 times
My list:

Miami
Nola
Atlanta
Orlando
Nashville
Tampa
Charlotte
Everyone else

Old 07-05-2018, 06:43 PM

2,362 posts, read 777,508 times
Meh, Miami is overrated. I've had more fun partying in Atlanta - the ratio is better, the girls are more approachable, and you will have a lot more money left-over. There is no beach, late call is earlier (fine by me, I don't want to sleep the entire day away) but the scene is just better. Miami is all about big names and advertising.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:20 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
I don't know now, TopGolf is pretty fun at night, especially if you're with a bunch of friends. Not to mention that they have also bar area; they normally don't close till like 2AM. Atlanta does have a more "Upscale" nightlife compared to New Orleans, that includes the Black nightlife too.

BUT, I will say this; Atlanta's nightlife is sprawled and pretty much segregated as far as Clubs or Bars go. Places like TopGolf and The Painted Pin are nowhere near the popular, walkable nightlife areas.
Top Golf is a chain and shouldn't be worthy of mention in this conversation, I mean really? Yeah it's fun but you can do that anywhere.

I'm still not sure what a upscale hip hop club means specifically. Seems contradictory, when I think of hip hop club I don't think upscale at all.

New Orleans isn't like that at all, all races and classes mingle. That's how it should be.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:44 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,277,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Top Golf is a chain and shouldn't be worthy of mention in this conversation, I mean really? Yeah it's fun but you can do that anywhere.

I'm still not sure what a upscale hip hop club means specifically. Seems contradictory, when I think of hip hop club I don't think upscale at all.

New Orleans isn't like that at all, all races and classes mingle. That's how it should be.
In your other reply, you said New Orleans has everything you can experience in ATL nightlife, but it doesn’t. Yes, maybe for Essence and s few other events, but it doesn’t compare to the hip hop venues and parties cranked out here. Atlanta is the hub for the genre and many artists are based here.

Upscale hip hop venues look like this:

Look at the decor and the amount of star power and the energy it draws, it doesn’t have to be a special weekend.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J8N8eJctGAc

Or this is even better.

https://instagram.com/p/BN0MArsAiul/

Look at the venue , line up and crowd... at hip hop event. There are dozens of these in Fulton/DeKalb, New Orleans doesn’t compete here.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:19 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Huh?There is a subway that goes from the South of Atlanta to through the North of the city .Buckhead,has two stops(Lenox&Buckhead),One stop near Edgewood Ave,(King Memorial), near Crescent Ave (Midtown Station),One downtown Decatur and even in the CBD there are clubs and bars where you can walk within minutes from one of the many hotels or get off at one of the several MARTA subway stops or the Streetcar,
They operate till 130am.If you want to stay out later they are less than 15min Uber from each other(the different districts).
The only problem I can see you having going out is if you are heading to a suburb with little or no MARTA excess.Even then there are any "entertainment distrct outside of the core acept where Suntrust Park is,Thats even fairly easy to get to as well.

Atlanta can and it does easily compare.Even if most people think Miami is the king of nightlife,there is nothing in Miami that hasn't been done in Atlanta but thats not true of New Orleans.
Atlanta host many redcarpet events for a reason. Thats due to its large music and movie scene.
Even if you dont like Hip Hop Atlanta nightlife and spots are mentioned in many songs,
Im not a fan of strip clubs but like Miami Atlanta has a reputation for that lifestyle.

Remember that although South Beach is in Miami;s metro,it is not apart of the city of Miami.
While Wynwood and some of areas of Miami have nightlife,none of them equal nightlife in Buckhead or Edgewood where they have to block streets off often for crowd control
Ok...

Old 07-05-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Atlanta has much more tha Buckhead.Thats old news but still popular.Now threes Edgewood,Midtown Crescent Ave,Castleberry Hill.

Its not a dig at you ,Just an observation that your top cities are cities that are known for bar hopping and wild drinking thats about it mainly.
For instance New Orleans,Ft. Lauderdale dont have a lot of posh style cubs,late night dining options,and alternative late night entertainment
Yeahhh, uhm, this isn't true at all, but ok....

Old 07-05-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Doesnt the Brightline end around 10pm?You cant go out using that for a night of fun if thats the case
The hours will be extended eventually. And the times very from day-to-day. Brightline has all the tools to be something huge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City