Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Southern city has the most options and potential, based on what was described in the post?
Raleigh-Durham 26 23.42%
Charlotte 24 21.62%
Nashville 25 22.52%
Dallas-Fort Worth 36 32.43%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 07:46 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,149 times

Advertisements

Dallas for the win, followed by Raleigh........ then Charlotte, then Nashville.

The good thing about Dallas is when you feel the need to travel you get to pick from two airports. both serviceable by light rail. Raleigh is among the best spots to be in the country based on the accolades and explosive growth over the past two decades and is becoming ever more connected and cosmopolitan. The universities and RTP make it very unique.

Charlotte is fine.. but still strikes me as a banking all the time place.
Nashville also is fine... but strikes me as a tourist or country music all the time place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 08:13 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Dallas for the win, followed by Raleigh........ then Charlotte, then Nashville.

The good thing about Dallas is when you feel the need to travel you get to pick from two airports. both serviceable by light rail. Raleigh is among the best spots to be in the country based on the accolades and explosive growth over the past two decades and is becoming ever more connected and cosmopolitan. The universities and RTP make it very unique.

Charlotte is fine.. but still strikes me as a banking all the time place.
Nashville also is fine... but strikes me as a tourist or country music all the time place.
Have you ever been to Charlotte or Nashville?

Old 03-30-2018, 09:25 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onxyknight85 View Post
Nashville has some of the best bars, food and nightlife anywhere and as others have said Nashville is a very trendy city. It's all about patios, rooftops, creative drinks and community games. Examples Pinewood Social, Acme, Clyde's on Church and Kung Fu Saloon.. read young vibes.
You'll find similar neighborhoods in Dallas as well, especially bars with games, backyard patios, and rooftops. There's a Kung Fu in Uptown Dallas and one also opening in Fort Worth. The original one is in Austin.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:32 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Keep in mind TX absolutely murders you on property taxes. Sure, you have no state income tax, but neither does TN and TN has much, much lower property taxes. I'd also guess that total state and local tax burden in NC is still going to be less than TX.

I'm a native Tennessean, but I haven't understood the Nashville hype. I've been down there several times this past year. The traffic on 40W going into the city, and pretty much always on 440, is a disaster. It's much worse than when I've been to Charlotte. You can whip around the beltway in Charlotte without that much trouble most of the time. Not so in Nashville.

From what I've seen, rents and property prices in Nashville are far higher in comparable neighborhoods of metro Charlotte. Nashville is just a much more expensive place to live.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:54 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Have you ever been to Charlotte or Nashville?
Yes for both. They are fine cities, I have friends in both.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:47 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Based on the requirements, its kind of hard to see the number one pick wouldnt be Dallas. Its just so much bigger and more diverse than the other cities.

That said its not really a fair comparison. DFW is over three times larger than any of the other ones. On top of that, there is not a bad choice among any of the ones listed. All the cities listed here would be great to live in.

My 2nd choice after DFW would be Charlotte. Ive always found it an underrated place and because of my job I have to travel a lot. Simply way more options there.

Old 03-30-2018, 04:49 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,473,953 times
As a black male, Cashville, Smashville for me!!!

Old 03-30-2018, 05:46 PM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kxr203 View Post
What's goin on everybody?

So I have posted in the past about looking to relocate from the Philadelphia area (originally from the NYC metro area). Had to put the move off until later this year, probably end of summer or early fall. While the NYC metro and DC metro areas still remain the top two targets, I got to thinking about some things.

What about possibly relocating further south? Just as a heads up, I have no desire to move to Florida, and I eliminated Atlanta and Houston (among other cities) for a couple of reasons - don't need to get into all of that right now. So I decided to concentrate mainly on four metro areas: Raleigh-Durham, Charlotte, Nashville, and Dallas-Fort Worth.

I like relatively diverse areas with the following: Good food, decent bar scenes (I don't need clubs), social/dating life, quality of the women to date, job opportunities, housing & apartment rentals. I think I have an idea which one is going to win this poll, but out of the four cities listed, which one do you think in general is the best for a single black male in his mid/late 30s - looking at the criteria that was listed?

Discuss.

Thanks.
I think in terms of just sheer population, amongst the 4 you listed, Dallas/Forth Worth just has a big advantage numbers-wise, since their metro area is approaching 7 million and booming. That would have the best options out of all 4, just in general.

Out of the ones you listed however, the most fun I've had is in Nashville--friendliest people, tons of bars, nightlife, great scene and energy. I really enjoyed Raleigh and Charlotte too though, and those have a great selection of what you list too--plus both are booming in terms of jobs. But all 4 you listed have tremendous job opportunities.

All in all, I'd say Dallas wins hands-down, but Nashville should be worth a good look.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Downtown Nashville is fun, but fun in a touristy type way. It skews more towards one genre and scene and there's not much else to the city beyond it.
I don't agree with this--there are loads of cool neighborhoods and areas in Nashville that don't cater exclusively to tourists. Did you go to the gulch, SoBro, east Nashville, Germantown, Midtown, 8th Ave South, 12th South, Hillsboro Village/Belmonth, and many others?

Nashville is not just a tourist scene--that's a stereotype that is very untrue....

Old 03-30-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
You should take a visit to Nashville and check it out. That's not true at all...that's a small piece of the city for sure.

That's like someone saying "LA is just a city full of movie stars" or "Miami is just full of retirees" or "New York is full of crowds" Catch the drift?

It's a place you have to visit and see all of the amazing and incredibly diverse things happening in the city. It's super friendly, exciting and lots goin' on beyond country music and tourists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City