Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Southern city has the most options and potential, based on what was described in the post?
Raleigh-Durham 26 23.42%
Charlotte 24 21.62%
Nashville 25 22.52%
Dallas-Fort Worth 36 32.43%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,005 times

Advertisements

1. Nashville
2. Raleigh
3. Charlotte

99. Dallas

That's me personally. I can't stand Texas politics and attitudes. DFW is an awful, traffic snarled, flat, sprawling mess. with soul crushing summers and ugly urban infrastructure. I wouldn't move to Dallas for a 150k a year job.

Charlotte is third because its super bland. Uptown is big but boring. Looks nice at night but who cares when its so lame. No historic buildings or historic areas. all new and overpriced condos and apartments. strip malls, parking lots and shopping centers. The best thing about Charlotte is the airport, Carowinds and pro sports. I would live in Charlotte but would have to be good money.

Raleigh-Durham/The Triangle is overall a really nice metro and I actually have a job interview there in a week. I think housing is overpriced there admittedly, but everything else isn't. It's a pretty area. Traffic isn't bad because people commute to Raleigh. Durham. RTP. Cary. Not just one central downtown job center. The Triangle feels classy to me, and well educated and not obsessed with having the biggest skyline (I'm looking at you, Charlotte). Extremely low crime rate, too.

Nashville is my favorite. It's in a very pretty part of Tennessee with lush green hills. You have stone everywhere which can makefor some unique scenes with the greenery. Downtown is booming, and Broadway is a blast. Tons of live music, shops. bars. restaurants, neon light, people having a good time. Outside of downtown Nashville still has a lot to offer, and is relatively affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 04:46 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,752,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kxr203 View Post
What's goin on everybody?

So I have posted in the past about looking to relocate from the Philadelphia area (originally from the NYC metro area). Had to put the move off until later this year, probably end of summer or early fall. While the NYC metro and DC metro areas still remain the top two targets, I got to thinking about some things.

What about possibly relocating further south? Just as a heads up, I have no desire to move to Florida, and I eliminated Atlanta and Houston (among other cities) for a couple of reasons - don't need to get into all of that right now. So I decided to concentrate mainly on four metro areas: Raleigh-Durham, Charlotte, Nashville, and Dallas-Fort Worth.

I like relatively diverse areas with the following: Good food, decent bar scenes (I don't need clubs), social/dating life, quality of the women to date, job opportunities, housing & apartment rentals. I think I have an idea which one is going to win this poll, but out of the four cities listed, which one do you think in general is the best for a single black male in his mid/late 30s - looking at the criteria that was listed?

Discuss.

Thanks.
The cities you listed are so vastly different than NYC or DC metro areas, but if I had to pick it would be Charlotte. Texas and Tennessee are just too conservative as a whole although Dallas is nice. I haven't been to Nashville but here good things.

Raleigh-Durham..I grew up in that area and I'm like "ehh...". If people think Charlotte is bland and too suburban, Raleigh-Durham area is even worse. Charlotte has a decent downtown and nice areas like NoDa, Dilworth, University area, and South Charlotte (which includes South Park and Ballantyne areas) with decent bars and restaurants. They are both very affordable but neither one can touch DC or NYC metro areas when it comes to culture and nightlife. I'm sure things have changed but when I was going to college in Charlotte, I was called the N-word and treated differently by my white roommates. I just don't see a lot of that here living in the DC metro area. I don't think I would want to move back to the South.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:24 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDazz View Post
1. Nashville
2. Raleigh
3. Charlotte

99. Dallas

That's me personally. I can't stand Texas politics and attitudes. DFW is an awful, traffic snarled, flat, sprawling mess. with soul crushing summers and ugly urban infrastructure. I wouldn't move to Dallas for a 150k a year job.

Charlotte is third because its super bland. Uptown is big but boring. Looks nice at night but who cares when its so lame. No historic buildings or historic areas. all new and overpriced condos and apartments. strip malls, parking lots and shopping centers. The best thing about Charlotte is the airport, Carowinds and pro sports. I would live in Charlotte but would have to be good money.

Raleigh-Durham/The Triangle is overall a really nice metro and I actually have a job interview there in a week. I think housing is overpriced there admittedly, but everything else isn't. It's a pretty area. Traffic isn't bad because people commute to Raleigh. Durham. RTP. Cary. Not just one central downtown job center. The Triangle feels classy to me, and well educated and not obsessed with having the biggest skyline (I'm looking at you, Charlotte). Extremely low crime rate, too.

Nashville is my favorite. It's in a very pretty part of Tennessee with lush green hills. You have stone everywhere which can makefor some unique scenes with the greenery. Downtown is booming, and Broadway is a blast. Tons of live music, shops. bars. restaurants, neon light, people having a good time. Outside of downtown Nashville still has a lot to offer, and is relatively affordable.
You think Tennessee politics are different from Texas? I would like to know what you're smoking. Dallas proper & Dallas County voted much more heavily Democrat than Nashville, if that's your thing. The "nicer urban infrastructure" in Dallas is not found on the freeways. You have to actually go into the city (and to be fair, none of these cities are known for amazing urban infrastructure). Who would've thought? I do agree with nicer outdoor scenery in the Nashville area though.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:46 PM

362 posts, read 497,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
The cities you listed are so vastly different than NYC or DC metro areas, but if I had to pick it would be Charlotte. Texas and Tennessee are just too conservative as a whole although Dallas is nice. I haven't been to Nashville but here good things.

Raleigh-Durham..I grew up in that area and I'm like "ehh...". If people think Charlotte is bland and too suburban, Raleigh-Durham area is even worse. Charlotte has a decent downtown and nice areas like NoDa, Dilworth, University area, and South Charlotte (which includes South Park and Ballantyne areas) with decent bars and restaurants. They are both very affordable but neither one can touch DC or NYC metro areas when it comes to culture and nightlife. I'm sure things have changed but when I was going to college in Charlotte, I was called the N-word and treated differently by my white roommates. I just don't see a lot of that here living in the DC metro area. I don't think I would want to move back to the South.
I understand that the cities listed aren't anything like NYC and DC...that's the idea - looking at other options in case I decide I want to leave the Northeast.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:48 PM

232 posts, read 189,863 times
1. Nashville/Charlotte (Love them both. Could live in either one easily. Both cities are vibrant and poised for the future)
2. Dallas (Downtown is underwhelming. But great Northern Suburbs)
3. Raleigh (Could live there as well, but downtown is a little to...)

Old 03-31-2018, 07:54 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy123 View Post
2. Dallas (Downtown is underwhelming. But great Northern Suburbs)
You don't have to go far from DT Dallas for action and fun. Uptown, Deep Ellum, Lower Greenville, Knox-Henderson, etc. are all 0.4 - 3 miles from the very center of Dallas.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:51 PM

232 posts, read 189,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
You don't have to go far from DT Dallas for action and fun. Uptown, Deep Ellum, Lower Greenville, Knox-Henderson, etc. are all 0.4 - 3 miles from the very center of Dallas.
Yeah. I did like the Uptown area. Really nice.

Old 04-01-2018, 12:41 PM

26 posts, read 31,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
You think Tennessee politics are different from Texas? I would like to know what you're smoking. Dallas proper & Dallas County voted much more heavily Democrat than Nashville, if that's your thing. The "nicer urban infrastructure" in Dallas is not found on the freeways. You have to actually go into the city (and to be fair, none of these cities are known for amazing urban infrastructure). Who would've thought? I do agree with nicer outdoor scenery in the Nashville area though.
To be fair, the poster did not say what they didn't like about Texas Politics. " Dallas County voted much more heavily Democrat than Nashville" when ? what election ? are we talking about president candidates, State legislature, mayoral race ?

2016 Presidential Race- Nashville- H.Clinton 59% of the vote/ D.Trump 33% of the vote. Dallas- H.Clinton 61.1% of the vote/ D. Trump 34.9 % of the vote. TN State house D-25 seats/R-74 seats and TX State house D-55 seats /R-94 seats and Nashville hasn't had a Republican mayor in over 40 years.

Both cities are surrounded by red counties. My theory is that because Texas is so big and its Cities are so big the interaction between the blue and red translate to a different feel for both cities.This is just a shot in the dark..I've never lived in Texas. What do you think DTXman34 ? I do think the state of Texas is probably more poised to turn more blue before and faster than the others tho.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:11 AM

362 posts, read 497,718 times
As far as politics are concerned, I'd consider myself a moderate Democrat...in case that helps figure out where I fit at the best.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:07 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kxr203 View Post
As far as politics are concerned, I'd consider myself a moderate Democrat...in case that helps figure out where I fit at the best.
Of the 4 options, the Triangle will be the most blue when it comes to the metro. All 4 counties at the core of the Triangle are blue: Wake, Durham, Orange, & Chatham. This includes both the core cities and much of the suburban area. Durham & Orange are two of the most blue counties in the entire South and Wake, though almost entirely controlled by the Democratic party, is pretty much the definition of moderate Democrat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City