Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 07:04 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,375,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's somewhat understandable why Blacks don't invest as much as Whites; we tend to be risk-averse since we don't have much of a cushion to fall back on if things go belly up. However, things are starting to change on that front: https://www.investopedia.com/article...e-changing.asp
Nice invrstopedia is my bible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 07:29 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,747,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Unlike Africans who have immigrated to this country, African Americans are up against systemic ideals that exist in this country because of our unique history. We aren’t born into families with the same historical values in general as African immigrants who have migrated to this country by sheer motivation and initiative.

African Americans generally come from poor uneducated families that have suffered through generations of war ravaged family members with substance abuse issues (1970s-1990s), Jim Crow and Civil Rights (1880s-1960s), and Slavery (1600s-1870s). African Americans have been fighting an uphill battle for generations. When you have never had anything growing up, you want to flaunt nice things once you can afford to get them. We have been competing with each other for centuries out of sheer necessity to survive. We aren’t happy when we see each other become successful instead choosing to hate and resent the success of our peers. This behavior is a result of our history I listed chronologically earlier.

So no, African Americans don’t act or behave like African immigrants, they have very different historical struggles. This vicious cycle is what the current generation is trying to break. Our history is our only obstacle in 2018. We have to get out of our own way to finally break the chains of our past which has systematically tried to label us a permanent underclass.
I agree with this, as I have a lot of my own family members that I feel resent me over having a successful ccareer, but I never flaunt it and never buy a bunch of expensive material stuff just to "show off".

I do see a lot of it though since I have been in DC. A lot of my black peers seem to not want to have anything to do with me as far as social circles if I don't have the luxury car or huge house. Just from my personal experience anyway.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:18 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,375,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
I agree with this, as I have a lot of my own family members that I feel resent me over having a successful ccareer, but I never flaunt it and never buy a bunch of expensive material stuff just to "show off".

I do see a lot of it though since I have been in DC. A lot of my black peers seem to not want to have anything to do with me as far as social circles if I don't have the luxury car or huge house. Just from my personal experience anyway.
So in other words they see you as a lame or something?

Old 04-02-2018, 08:26 AM

31,989 posts, read 34,536,457 times
Atlanta is a lot more glam than DC.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:45 AM

8,477 posts, read 14,949,777 times
I haven't gone through the entire thread (because I don't want to kill brain cells) but I would hope at this point someone has made a point of the fact that a $200k salary in DC is not the same thing as a $200k salary in Atlanta. Atlanta is 34% cheaper to live in than DC, therefore all of those people making $200k in DC is the same as making $130k in Atlanta.

Someone making this type of income would be shopping regularly at high end stores. That's not the yearly income of someone wealthy, it's a middle class salary and you would be wise to visit a high end shop only once in a while.

Long story short, if you're making that kind of money and you're draping your self in Hermes or Christian Louboutin you are a dummy and deserve every bad economic outcome you get.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:53 AM

9,661 posts, read 9,303,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post

I have to agree. The more successful you become as a black person, you get labeled that you're trying to be white. My social circles have changed dramatically because of this....I have none lol.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:55 AM

2,257 posts, read 2,382,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I haven't gone through the entire thread (because I don't want to kill brain cells) but I would hope at this point someone has made a point of the fact that a $200k salary in DC is not the same thing as a $200k salary in Atlanta. Atlanta is 34% cheaper to live in than DC, therefore all of those people making $200k in DC is the same as making $130k in Atlanta.
I always find that kind of data to be not only inaccurate but disingenuous. It's too elusive to be able to definitively say what someone in DC makes and how it correlates with what someone in Atlanta makes. If you work in DC and make $200,000 and live in Waldorf, Stafford or Gainesville, etc - these areas, while further out, are much cheaper than DC, Arlington or Bethesda. Also, some people may live in a condo which is obviously cheaper, some may live in a TH or SFH. Do they have kids? If so, how many kids? All of that matters. You can't accurately extract that kind of data and conclusively say how far someone's $200,000 will take them in a specific area.

So imo, if you make $200,000 you're doing well, no matter where you live but that's jmo.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:59 AM

31,989 posts, read 34,536,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Long story short, if you're making that kind of money and you're draping your self in Hermes or Christian Louboutin you are a dummy and deserve every bad economic outcome you get.
It's usually the people who are not making that kind of money who are draping themselves in designer garments.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:59 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,358,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lD8modem View Post
I don't know the purpose/utility in such obscure comparison. Asians aren't compared in such way, and neither are Hispanics, and certainly not whites. What's the deal anyway?
/thread

#blacks*are*always*pitted*against*eachother*in*Ame rica*stop*the*madness!*

Old 04-02-2018, 09:09 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,210,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
/thread

#blacks*are*always*pitted*against*eachother*in*Ame rica*stop*the*madness!*
^^ This...

This thread is trivial and a lot of people could stand to get a life and worry about their own money rather than pocket watch others to prove some sort of point instead of being happy that there are black people out here making money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City