Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2018, 10:23 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times

Advertisements

Feels backhanded and dismissive.

So, should Black people in DC flaunt it? I see DC no different than a lot of other places.

Most flamboyant I ever came across was the Midwest. Pretty much any city. Only reason you do not see it so much now is because of the serious social and economic problems that exist there. Those factory jobs are gone. Go downtown in any city nothing but Whites and Hispanics primarily. The party is over and a lot of us have moved to the South and MidAtlantic. For some that was DC for others it was Atlanta and for others it was Charlotte and Florida. Or maybe Southwest, like Texas.

I don't think we are as materialistic as we were in the nineties. The cheap money is gone. The public housing is disappearing. The suburbs are poorer than the city. Television and cinema still perpetrates the stereotypes but I don't see that as much these days. If anything I see a lot of "fast fashion" brands and looking like you're something on the cheap. People seem to be more interested in the latest Samsung Galaxy or iPhone X or whatever than they are clothing.

Another thing that perplexes me is that if I'm making $200,000 a year what do you expect me to wear? I don't have to be flashy, but I doubt you'll see me in the same Ralph Lauren lower middle class people are wearing. I probably live in an area where I can walk to a boutique somewhere. I don't live near shopping malls. I can't speak for DC and Atlanta but the upper class areas where I'm at people aren't going to some shopping mall they have the same stores as everyone else but the merchandise costs 2 or 3 times as much. So their TJ Maxx is completely different than yours.

The difference is that I would not have to define myself by having a wardrobe full of it. And there would be a bunch of other stuff the average person would not even know about in that closet. But instead of hundreds of pieces just what I need.

I digress, I just don't understand why someone making that type of money would waste their time at a shopping mall. Especially when they could go on Michigan Avenue or something similar and do their shopping there. Especially Black people that do not want to live around people that make $2 an hour less than they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 10:39 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,954,652 times
DC is and has always been a black fashion capital. DC always came across as super classy vs Atlanta Flashy. The women in DC were always top notch from the hair to the red bottoms. DC women are more likely to wear natural hair as well. DC is a step above Atlanta.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:43 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,395,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
DC is and has always been a black fashion capital. DC always came across as super classy vs Atlanta Flashy. The women in DC were always top notch from the hair to the red bottoms. DC women are more likely to wear natural hair as well. DC is a step above Atlanta.
I guess one thing I’ll agree with from your post is the natural hair part specifically!

Old 04-08-2018, 10:47 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
Ironically, you called DC classy vs Atlanta flashy, then named an item of clothing that epitomizes flash.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:50 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
I know it's only natural to an extent, but sometimes we as Black folks really can't afford to be as tribal as we are.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I mean I guess what the OP is on about says more about Atlanta than it does about DC. I would rather classy and sophisticated than being loud in Versace. I get the point but I don't get the reasoning to make the comparison.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:57 AM

63 posts, read 89,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Yeah, I mean I guess what the OP is on about says more about Atlanta than it does about DC. I would rather classy and sophisticated than being loud in Versace. I get the point but I don't get the reasoning to make the comparison.
DC is Black New York and Atl is Black Los Angeles

Old 04-08-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonongoco View Post
DC is Black New York and Atl is Black Los Angeles
Sounds about right. I am not disagreeing I'm just saying, again, this thread felt like another DC vs Atlanta thread to me. In favor of Atlanta.

Old 04-08-2018, 11:39 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Most flamboyant I ever came across was the Midwest.
I'm from the midwest and I would agree, the affluent suburbs in the midwest are nothing but a keeping of the Jones ****fest. Yet most are pretty much clueless about the world outside their suburb.

Being affluent in DC is just different. People seem to spend their money a little differently. I think they travel more and things like that.

Having said that, when I lived in Germantown, I was impressed with being a suburban area with so many affluent blacks. I see the same thing in Annapolis. I think half the shoppers at Annapolis Mall are black and probably from nearby PG County, which always makes me wonder why there is not a major upscale mall in PG County. I guess the National Harbor could be considered that.

Speaking of racial breakdown. Has anybody noticed how truly worldly diverse Tyson's Corner Mall is? Every time I'm at that mall, I see people from every part of the world in that mall. Only everybody is dressed nice etc. It's a very fashion conscious place more like Europe or something vs America where most people dress down when out in public. I think Tyson's would be similar to a mall in Dubai, London etc.

Old 04-08-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I'm from the midwest and I would agree, the affluent suburbs in the midwest are nothing but a keeping of the Jones ****fest. Yet most are pretty much clueless about the world outside their suburb.

Being affluent in DC is just different. People seem to spend their money a little differently. I think they travel more and things like that.

Having said that, when I lived in Germantown, I was impressed with being a suburban area with so many affluent blacks. I see the same thing in Annapolis. I think half the shoppers at Annapolis Mall are black and probably from nearby PG County, which always makes me wonder why there is not a major upscale mall in PG County. I guess the National Harbor could be considered that.
You get it. Part of it is how isolated the Midwest can be from the rest of the country. A little different in a city like Chicago and to a lesser extent Detroit but they're definitely in their bubble. I don't miss it at all.

Although I would prefer to be in DC, one of the refreshing things about the place in Virginia I'm at now does not seem to be as preoccupied with showing off fashion. Not that it is lacking for any, but we obviously do not have retail on the level of what is available in the DC area. Not anywhere close. It is more comparable to what I was used to back in Akron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City