Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Columbia SC vs Winston-Salem NC
Columbia SC 26 55.32%
Winston-Salem NC 21 44.68%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 11:56 AM

24 posts, read 24,328 times

Advertisements

This one always seems to come in close in the odd post/discussion I have seen. So I was interested to put it to a vote. As of 2018 where would you rather live.

The usual categories apply:

Cost of Living
Schools
Best nightlife
Crime
Best downtown
Nicest suburbs
Traffic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 11:59 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
I'm partial to Columbia but these are two solid choices.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:09 PM

354 posts, read 627,115 times
Haven't really been to either, but I would say Columbia due to it being a capital city & possibly more opportunities for jobs.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:12 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times
Cost of Living - C
Schools - W
Best nightlife - C
Crime - W
Best downtown - W (due to recent upgrades over the past few years... however Columbia has two, additional semblances of "entertainment districts" near downtown (5 Points and The Vista, Winston has a 5 Points I believe but it's only primarily in name)
Nicest suburbs - W
Traffic - C (by a hair, but neither has super horrible traffic for their sizes, imo)

...as Mutiny alluded to ... pretty evenly matched. But Columbia feels waaaaaaaay more southern and its core feels a more urban (and to some, more in disrepair lol)... The river that runs through the city is really pretty and picturesque, too. It's a natural geographic feature that Winston can't complete with, although the foothills are looming near Winston to the west.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Cost of Living - C
Schools - W
Best nightlife - C
Crime - W
Best downtown - W (due to recent upgrades over the past few years... however Columbia has two, additional semblances of "entertainment districts" near downtown (5 Points and The Vista, Winston has a 5 Points I believe but it's only primarily in name)
Nicest suburbs - W
Traffic - C (by a hair, but neither has super horrible traffic for their sizes, imo)

...as Mutiny alluded to ... pretty evenly matched. But Columbia feels waaaaaaaay more southern and its core feels a more urban (and to some, more in disrepair lol)... The river that runs through the city is really pretty and picturesque, too. It's a natural geographic feature that Winston can't complete with, although the foothills are looming near Winston to the west.
Greensboro has more of a nightlife compared to Winston.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:20 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
I really don't get it with Winston, but taking out my personal dislike of the city, it's going to lose to Columbia, a larger, wealthier, more well-rounded and productive city...

Old 04-05-2018, 12:21 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontstressem22 View Post
Greensboro has more of a nightlife compared to Winston.
Very true. Winston continues to build up its downtown offerings, which has brought on more semblance of a "nightlife."

Old 04-05-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I really don't get it with Winston, but taking out my personal dislike of the city, it's going to lose to Columbia, a larger, wealthier, more well-rounded and productive city...
I agree.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Very true. Winston continues to build up its downtown offerings, which has brought on more semblance of a "nightlife."
Yeah, Winston-Salem is rarely talked about although I do hear it is a beautiful city. Also Remember, The Triad Region that consists of Greensboro/High Point/Winston-Salem is centralized between two other booming metropolitan areas within the State of North Carolina, RDU on the Northeast end and Charlotte on the South end. So it is hard for The Triad to keep up with the other two regions.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:31 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
For one, you should research Winston-Salem's history as it was quite prominent back in the day. I kinda hate to say it, but had it not been for Charlotte poaching some of its key businesses (e.g., Wachovia, Piedmont Airlines), it would be a bigger, more influential city today. It has quite the industrial history and even considering it's economic losses, it is still home to some popular brands and has a skyline more befitting of a larger city. Its urban fabric contains a couple of industrial buildings that have been adaptively reused and gives it something of a gritty quality and you also have the artsy flavor as it is home to the NC School of the Arts. Also Old Salem and Historic Bethabara are as unique as it gets for a Southern city, especially one that's not quite as historic as the old port cities. Personally I think the city is terribly underrated. It's almost like a sum total of NC cities with its banking industry (Charlotte), tobacco and textile heritage (Triad and Triangle), history (Wilmington), artsy flair (Asheville), a prestigious university (Triangle), an HBCU (statewide), and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City