Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 10:01 AM

81 posts, read 179,749 times

Advertisements

What cities do Latinos speak mostly or only Spanish, and adhere to the culture of their country (Mexican culture, Puerto Rican culture)?

What cities do Latinos speak mostly or only English, and act more "American" (White American, Black American)?

I know most cities have a mix of both Traditional and Assimilated, and I think it also depends on the particular ethnic group, what do yall think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 10:45 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
I don't know if any US born Latinos are "traditional". I find that for the most part, they either act like white people or black people.

Old 04-07-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I don't know if any US born Latinos are "traditional". I find that for the most part, they either act like white people or black people.
Then you havent been to Miami, East LA, or parts of the Bronx.

Old 04-07-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCaribenoEast View Post
Then you havent been to Miami, East LA, or parts of the Bronx.
The US born Bronx Latinos mostly act black.

East LA might have a unique Chicano culture still. But I hear a lot of the South LA Chicanos act black.

Old 04-07-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:

East LA might have a unique Chicano culture still. But I hear a lot of the South LA Chicanos act black.
most US born Bronx Latinos have their own culture (mixing traditional PR/DR culture with very FEW elements of Black American culture). Its the Latinos in Brooklyn that mostly act black or white

Old 04-07-2018, 10:58 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,167 times
Quote:
I'm assuming you meant White Americans and Black Americans because Latinos can be White or Black too.

My family is pretty mixed, the Dominican side either acts Traditional or African American, for the most part though African American, because they all grew up around African Americans. Except the few who live in NYC/Boston, those are the family members who act more "traditional."

I will say this though. Cities with Latino populations of like 2 Gens deep are more likely to have their Latino residents speaking more Spanish than those within cities that have a larger history with Latinos.

Old 04-07-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
I'm assuming you meant White Americans and Black Americans because Latinos can be White or Black too.

My family is pretty mixed, the Dominican side either acts Traditional or African American, for the most part though African American, because they all grew up around African Americans. Except the few who live in NYC/Boston, those are the family members who act more "traditional."

I will say this though. Cities with Latino populations of like 2 Gens deep are more likely to have their Latino residents speaking more Spanish than those within cities that have a larger history with Latinos.
I am well aware of the racial makeup of Latinos, but Latinos are a de facto racial group in the US.

I live around a lot of Dominicans and I find that they either act black or white, with the former being more common (depends on the neighborhood, though).

I also believe that pretty much all US born Latinos speak mostly English in their social lives, even if they live in a heavily Latino area.

Old 04-07-2018, 11:03 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,167 times
Quote:

Bronx Latinos are the ones who be on that "I'm not Black" bs, not saying it's all of em. Because I've met some cool Latinos from the Bronx who understand their African ancestry. But you're more likely to see Latinos hanging with Black Americans in Queens or Brooklyn.

Old 04-07-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Bronx Latinos are the ones who be on that "I'm not Black" bs, not saying it's all of em. Because I've met some cool Latinos from the Bronx who understand their African ancestry. But you're more likely to see Latinos hanging with Black Americans in Queens or Brooklyn.
They might not consider themselves black, but if they dress and talk the same as AAs, then they're acting black as far as I'm concerned. I also don't think it even has much to do with black ancestry, there are a lot of Mexican-Americans in places like Oakland and Houston who also talk and dress the same as AAs. Same thing with Southeast Asians and Pacific Islanders.

Old 04-07-2018, 03:51 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
In my experience NYC fits the bill. Here in Chicago, which has a very large Hispanic population, they are very assimilated as well. Many/most have the traditional Chicago/Midwest accent when speaking English. Most Hispanics I've met here are still bilingual, but have no discernible accent when speaking English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City