Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2018, 07:07 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
I actually spent time in both on a cross country road trip. Omaha seemed more impressionable with the charm of the Old Market and the nicely landscaped waterfront parks along the Missouri River. Des Moines seemed more workaday gov't town, in the downtown anyway.

Minneapolis or San Antonio?
From a downtown perspective alone, Minneapolis. It is more dense, has a "winter" elevated bridge system, and offer two major league downtown stadiums. San Antonio is also nice, with the Riverwalk, but overall, Minneapolis.

Honolulu or Anchorage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 07:53 PM

755 posts, read 570,076 times
Honolulu. It looks more urban & upscale based on the images I saw.

Downtown Denver or Downtown Sacramento?

Old 06-14-2018, 06:03 AM

23,461 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASJackson814 View Post
Honolulu. It looks more urban & upscale based on the images I saw.

Downtown Denver or Downtown Sacramento?
I really like both cities for their dynamism and positive energy. But Denver gets my vote.

Minneapolis or Austin?

Old 06-14-2018, 08:44 AM

655 posts, read 2,182,973 times
Minneapolis had a much better downtown than Austin. Austin's felt much smaller. Minneapolis had a better skyline, better options, and seemed to just have more in general.

Atlanta or Miami?

Old 06-14-2018, 09:16 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
I think both cores are great and drastically changed/changing over the past decade. I am picking Miami because of the incredible water views, but I like them both.

Asheville, NC or Greenville, SC

Old 06-14-2018, 02:23 PM

413 posts, read 323,553 times
I've only been to Greenville, so I'll pick Greenville.

Minneapolis or Dallas?

Old 06-14-2018, 06:44 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsFan1975 View Post
I've only been to Greenville, so I'll pick Greenville.

Minneapolis or Dallas?
Never been to Minny, but I was quite underwhelmed with downtown Dallas (2010 visit). Nice skyline, especially at night, but not really a whole lot happening on the ground. Perhaps I may go back in the 2020's sometime to see how much it's changed. I like the Trinity River projects that are in the works. But at the moment, I can certainly imagine Minneapolis having a much more livelier downtown, I'll go with Minny.

Downtown Albuquerque vs downtown Tucson.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:06 PM

828 posts, read 648,507 times
Tucson, by a good bit, IMO.

Richmond or Charlotte?

Old 06-18-2018, 01:02 PM

755 posts, read 570,076 times
I guess I'll go with Charlotte, but Richmond's isn't bad.

Downtown Brooklyn or Center City Philadelphia?

Old 06-18-2018, 06:45 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,323,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASJackson814 View Post
I guess I'll go with Charlotte, but Richmond's isn't bad.

Downtown Brooklyn or Center City Philadelphia?
On the surface, that's a tough call. Brooklyn is a vibrant commercial district with tons of amenities from MetroTech to the Barclay's Center, shopping at the Fulton Mall and leisure at Cadman Plaza. Some beautiful architecture exists there as well and of course you have the iconic Brooklyn Bridge. I enjoy spending time in DT BK, but if we're comparing downtown to downtown, I think Center City Philly just has so much more to offer. From strictly a residential standpoint, Center City Philadelphia has 185k people living there versus only about 10k in Brooklyn. You can imagine what vibrancy that brings. Add in the fact that Philadelphia's downtown is home to numerous Fortune 500 companies, prestigious universities, historical sites, incredible food, shopping, world class architecture (city hall, 'nuff said) and museums. I think only transit is comperable between the two downtowns. The comparison sounds good on paper but it may actually be a bit unfair as Downtown Brooklyn is hurt by its proximity to Manhattan, is the 3rd largest CBD in NYC and anchors a borough defined moreso by its neighborhoods rather than once central area. Center City Philly wins this one with ease.

Downtown Toronto vs. Downtown Boston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City