Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 12:50 PM

29 posts, read 26,103 times

Advertisements

I'm working really hard to get to a job in Atlanta and hopefully will make the move in the next 6 months. I'm starting to receive some interest and it looks like negotiating pay will be my biggest challenge (Dallas seems to pay better on average).

I've been in Dallas for about a decade and I enjoyed it but suddenly all I can think of is Hotlanta. I think Dallas is a beautiful and growing city, top tier attractions here, I make good money here, but I suddenly feel very unfulfilled socially and culturally. The Dallas gay scene is no longer interesting to me, I'm suddenly unable to make lasting connections as easily as I used to, there's a lack of safe spaces for black gay men here, the OUT black gay community seems to be shrinking (it's the weirdest thing), and racial relations in the Dallas gay scene (and Dallas period) are still low-key hostile and awkward. Also I usually feel very isolated from the black community because I work, play, and live in areas that are predominately affluent and white and lacking genuine diversity so that's something I'm looking to change this year.

I visited Atlanta several times and every time it's a great visit. Also, I feel Atlanta is more diverse than Dallas. I always leave with the impression that Atlanta will be a great fit for me socially and culturally. Atlanta's black community and black gay community are more robust and visible compared to Dallas. And I feel like my chances of connecting with black gay men like me (black gay men with advanced degrees and high IQs) are better in Atlanta than Dallas for several reasons. Atlanta simply seems to be the most socially and culturally fulfilling city for a progressive and intellectually curious black gay man with respectable discretionary income.

So thoughts? Am I off-based in my thinking in anyway? Is there something I'm forgetting? And I know Atlanta has terrible traffic and a rising cost of living but the same can be said about Dallas ...

Last edited by HTXDTX; 04-08-2018 at 01:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 08:22 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Well, one thing I would point out is that Dallas is more diverse than Atlanta on a statistical level. A lot of people seem to equate diversity with black and it isnt the case.

That said, I cant think of a better city for a gay black person than Atlanta. Youre young. If you want to give it a try, I think it would be harmless move to make if thats what you think youd like.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:09 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Well, one thing I would point out is that Dallas is more diverse than Atlanta on a statistical level. A lot of people seem to equate diversity with black and it isnt the case.
Oh, I would love to hear your explanation for this. You might want to start with an explanation of how there is no difference between native-African, Afro-Caribbean, Afro-Latin, and African-American culture.

While you do that, the above statement isn't true. Dallas and Atlanta are basically at the same diversity level, it's just that Atlanta has as many Black residents as Dallas has Latin residents, and vice versa. Their White and Asian populations are of similar sizes.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Oh, I would love to hear your explanation for this. You might want to start with an explanation of how there is no difference between native-African, Afro-Caribbean, Afro-Latin, and African-American culture.

While you do that, the above statement isn't true. Dallas and Atlanta are basically at the same diversity level, it's just that Atlanta has as many Black residents as Dallas has Latin residents, and vice versa. Their White and Asian populations are of similar sizes.
No, their Asian populations are not similar sizes. DFW has about 474k Asians and Greater Atlanta has 331k. Its about 1% difference but when the metro areas are as big as they are, 1% makes a big difference.

Ill grant you the ethnic diversity levels are similar. However, DFW is more racially balanced than Atlanta is. Those are just statistics. Nothing to argue about.

As far as the diversity comment equaling black, a lot of people do hold that view and Ive seen it so many times on this forum.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:32 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
No, their Asian populations are not similar sizes. DFW has about 474k Asians and Greater Atlanta has 331k. Its about 1% difference but when the metro areas are as big as they are, 1% makes a big difference.
I'm pretty sure he meant similar proportions and 1% isn't a significant difference in that context. Of course it will be a notable difference in terms of raw numbers since DFW has 1.5 million more people than metro Atlanta.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm pretty sure he meant similar proportions and 1% isn't a significant difference in that context. Of course it will be a notable difference in terms of raw numbers since DFW has 1.5 million more people than metro Atlanta.
In both places however, Asians congregate in just a couple of areas. They arent scattered across the metro area. That does make the difference more noticeable.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:55 AM

Let me clarify something because I think what I said is being taken different from what I meant.

I view diversity as two pronged: racial and ethnic.

Dallas and Atlanta are evenly matched on ethnic diversity.

Dallas is more racially diverse based on the balance of races in the metro area.

The OP said he thought Atlanta was more diverse.

Thats why I said what I said. I never said Atlanta wasnt diverse. Atlanta is one of my favorite cities along with Dallas.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:18 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
In both places however, Asians congregate in just a couple of areas. They arent scattered across the metro area. That does make the difference more noticeable.
Seems like that would make the difference somewhat less noticeable since you're looking at it within the context of the larger area. However, it also depends on which Asians we're talking about. If the bulk of Atlanta's Asians are of Korean descent (and I believe they are, or are pretty close) and the bulk of DFW's are Vietnamese (for the sake of argument), then yeah that would be an apparent difference. This makes waronxmas's point all the more relevant since we don't often look at ethnic diversity within races as much as we should.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Seems like that would make the difference somewhat less noticeable since you're looking at it within the context of the larger area. However, it also depends on which Asians we're talking about. If the bulk of Atlanta's Asians are of Korean descent (and I believe they are, or are pretty close) and the bulk of DFW's are Vietnamese (for the sake of argument), then yeah that would be an apparent difference. This makes waronxmas's point all the more relevant since we don't often look at ethnic diversity within races as much as we should.
I addressed it in my last post. Racial and ethnic diversity are different things. Both have to be taken into consideration.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:26 PM

422 posts, read 396,801 times
Atl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City