Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Jose vs Pittsburgh: Which is a better city?
Pittsburgh 75 70.75%
San Jose 31 29.25%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 08:48 AM

159 posts, read 169,470 times

Advertisements

Pittsburgh rein supreme. Pittsburgh cream San Jose in every category !!! The poll does not lie !!!

Last edited by TheLawMan; 04-16-2018 at 08:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 09:57 AM

32,602 posts, read 77,235,199 times
I can certainly understand The Topper's frustrations.

I'm a Pittsburgher in Paradise (as I scream the lyrics to the popular Jimmy Buffet song out my car windows at scared fellow motorists at red lights). I did grow up, however, near Scranton, PA and long championed it on this forum. I always felt like it was me vs. a brick wall, though, because popular opinion dictated "Scranton = ). As such I began to get desperate as a "homer/booster" on here from like 2006-2010 trying to pump up its online image and stature.

Now I live in Pittsburgh. I love it here, despite the horrid weather. Then again our weather is similar much of the year to Seattle, and people are moving to Seattle in droves, so...

Anyhow, I've never been to San Jose, but I've always just assumed it was a relatively low-density, not very walkable city with a lot of newer construction. Such cities are NOT my cup of tea, as I learned after a stint living and working in Northern Virginia, so, naturally, I'm not very interested in San Jose. Hopefully The Topper's continued boosterism/homerism can win over folks like me and convince us to visit to see San Jose in a bold new light.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:46 AM

6,403 posts, read 7,600,115 times
If you ever do visit, you can check out Little Saigon and lots of taco trucks for high quality food. Check out the neighborhoods where gangs and homeless are taking over and houses have multiple families living in them. Don't worry about the poor education quality as there are plenty of private schools to send your kids to, heck there is even a huge muslim school in nearby Santa Clara. Don't wait, book your flight now just as the pollen/dust is flying to irritate your allergies. Be sure to leave for the S.J. airport early as the freeways are always jammed up from sunrise to sundown and beyond, then celebrate your trip home.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:55 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,467,632 times
I voted for Pittsburgh just to annoy the troll OP and his obsession with San Jose.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:22 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,897,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
One more time:

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts in all of the cities you've mentioned.

SJ may have all of that (and I disagree with you on the weather, as San Jose lacks winter, but I'm a four-seasons guy in a world where people think that they should have endless summer without learning what winter has to teach them) in greater quantities than those other cities, but just having more of something isn't enough sometimes. There's the chemistry, the synergy, the character to reckon with too.

Not to mention that you've been called on some of your stats and assertions. San Jose, for instance, does not have a large black population. Not by national standards, not by Bay Area ones even (and San Francisco also has precious few black folk anymore as well. They're all in Oakland and the East Bay).
Actually, they're in Stockton and nearby communities since fleeing the high costs of Oakland and East Bay. I do like the quaintness of Pittsburgh and the friendliness of its people. While the downtown is as not revitalized as Downtown SJ( meaning more grocery stores, services and night life/entertainment and general spiffy of the downtown area), it's in a pretty setting with 3 rivers and several bridges and is closed to South Station, North where the stadiums are, and Strip.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:29 PM

13,937 posts, read 8,779,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I can certainly understand The Topper's frustrations.

I'm a Pittsburgher in Paradise (as I scream the lyrics to the popular Jimmy Buffet song out my car windows at scared fellow motorists at red lights). I did grow up, however, near Scranton, PA and long championed it on this forum. I always felt like it was me vs. a brick wall, though, because popular opinion dictated "Scranton = ). As such I began to get desperate as a "homer/booster" on here from like 2006-2010 trying to pump up its online image and stature.

Now I live in Pittsburgh. I love it here, despite the horrid weather. Then again our weather is similar much of the year to Seattle, and people are moving to Seattle in droves, so...

Anyhow, I've never been to San Jose, but I've always just assumed it was a relatively low-density, not very walkable city with a lot of newer construction. Such cities are NOT my cup of tea, as I learned after a stint living and working in Northern Virginia, so, naturally, I'm not very interested in San Jose. Hopefully The Topper's continued boosterism/homerism can win over folks like me and convince us to visit to see San Jose in a bold new light.
I've been one of those calling him on it, and I'm sure you know that Philadelphians - or at least some of them - have gone to great lengths to try to erase popular notions that somehow we're not a first-, or even second-, tier metropolis.

But I see your point. The difference between Pittsburgh and San Jose in this case is this: Pittsburgh had an established identity and national reputation ("the Pittsburgh of the..." for any city in some other part of the country that happened to have a steel mill in it), but it fell on hard times and is now rebooting itself (literally, given where Pittsburgh's economic revival is coming from).

SJ, meanwhile, is a former collection of orange groves and the target of a Burt Bacharach/Dionne Warwick hit turned tech hub, or maybe tech hub adjacent, but it became a big city overnight. I tend to look with favor on what I call "Instant Urbanism" when the techniques are applied to some Edge City archipelago, but I still prefer my urbanism to be of the organic, free-range variety rather than the pre-formed, poured-in-place and microwaved variety.

SJ is definitely a place I need to visit when next I find myself in the Bay Area, and for the same reasons I make trips to King of Prussia or Tysons (Corner). I'd especially want to check out their version of the Country Club Plaza. But I'm not so sure I'd be so bowled over by what I saw to make me want to abandon my preference for organic urbanism.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:17 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,198,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
SJ, meanwhile, is a former collection of orange groves and the target of a Burt Bacharach/Dionne Warwick hit turned tech hub, or maybe tech hub adjacent, but it became a big city overnight.
From 1968 .......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmQrDHsKdV4
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
San Jose is not close to L.A at all. It's its own city with its own vibe. It's the 3rd most fun city in the country, according to Cranium in 2003 and 2008. It's the most expensive city in the country. Downtown SJ is cross between Midtown Manhattan and West Village and some of Brooklyn mojo.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:55 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,897,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
You're from Philly?

Old 04-16-2018, 10:00 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,574,016 times
Why isn't hockey one of the criteria?

Old 04-16-2018, 10:02 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,198,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
You're from Philly?
No never lived there. Live nearly 3-hours northwest of Philly in PA. Only Big city I lived in was Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City