Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 07:47 PM

955 posts, read 611,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Toronto: 16 bars per 100K (2018)
Wow that's low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2020, 07:48 PM

12,162 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Wow Boston is pathetic lol

Old 12-19-2020, 07:56 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,656,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Yeah... I always liked to call Montreal the NYC of Canada when it comes to that "city that never sleeps" vibe.
Last time I was there, I was out and about at like 4AM, and Sainte-Catherine Street was still crowded as ever. Where were people going? No idea. To eat maybe? But it was PACKED.
Usually St. Cat after last call is to eat/hit up after hours. East of St. Laurent though is where the fun is though in terms of St. Cat nightlife. Also another hotspot is Mile-End/Ex with all the exclusive underground bars/clubs. After 3am, lots of crazy after parties happen there.

Old 12-20-2020, 04:38 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
For Canadian cities (only worldcities culture forum)

Montreal: 132 bars per 100K (2016)
Toronto: 16 bars per 100K (2018)

The others are per 10K, IIRC St. Johns NF had 3.5 bars per 10K, which was the highest. Other cities were 1.5-3 per 10K.
Montréal likely does have more bars per capita but this seems out of whack. Things cannot be that disproportionate.

This sounds like Ibiza vs. Tehran or something...

Old 12-20-2020, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Montréal likely does have more bars per capita but this seems out of whack. Things cannot be that disproportionate.

This sounds like Ibiza vs. Tehran or something...
I just checked the source and it's not very reliable. Every city has completely different sources (ex. government agency, Yellow Pages, Yelp, etc.). Somehow it claims Hong Kong, with over 7 million residents, only has 95 bars yet Montreal has over 2000.

Old 12-20-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
I just checked the source and it's not very reliable. Every city has completely different sources (ex. government agency, Yellow Pages, Yelp, etc.). Somehow it claims Hong Kong, with over 7 million residents, only has 95 bars yet Montreal has over 2000.
Funny, given the WCCF is a network of 39 cities that focuses on peer to peer exchanges. All the data you see is given by the cities themselves (and not picked by the WCCF). But in terms of the Canadian cities, it was the only source with per 100K, others focus on 10K.

Old 12-20-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Funny, given the WCCF is a network of 39 cities that focuses on peer to peer exchanges. All the data you see is given by the cities themselves (and not picked by the WCCF). But in terms of the Canadian cities, it was the only source with per 100K, others focus on 10K.
The data is listed is total bars. And it's not provided by the cities themselves. I don't think governments keep track of liquor licenses via Yelp. It's unreliable data, as is the norm for these kinds of international databases.

Old 12-20-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
The data is listed is total bars. And it's not provided by the cities themselves. I don't think governments keep track of liquor licenses via Yelp. It's unreliable data, as is the norm for these kinds of international databases.
I've worked along side WCCF (MTL is one of the hub cities, and again, I work in municipal politics), they ask the cities for data and the cities provide the data either by local/state/provincial statistics, publications or organisations or use yelp/other third parties since they do not keep up with some data provided. Hence why you see Montreal use a provincial organisation who oversees all bars, while others use yelp or other third parties, albeit the numbers are not as accurate.

Old 12-20-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
I've worked along side WCCF (MTL is one of the hub cities, and again, I work in municipal politics), they ask the cities for data and the cities provide the data either by local/state/provincial statistics, publications or organisations or use yelp/other third parties since they do not keep up with some data provided. Hence why you see Montreal use a provincial organisation who oversees all bars, while others use yelp or other third parties, albeit the numbers are not as accurate.
That's exactly what I'm saying, the data is not the same across the board and is therefore, unreliable. I would take any numbers outside the US with a grain of salt since it looks like the methods of counting are totally different.

Old 12-20-2020, 06:32 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
At Voyuer (the largest? after hours club in the city), you don't even have to write your email down, just pay a cover. They are usually open till 3:30am, and as late as 6am on special nights like Halloween and Pride.
The Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board, I guess, has gotten lax on its enforcement of private club rules. Under those rules, admission to private clubs is limited to members, who are the only people who can purchase alcoholic beverages once inside; members may bring guests, but if a guest wants to buy a drink, they have to do it through a member.

When this was a primarily gay private club (under several different names: DCA, 2-4 Club, Pure; each of these used a different club license, I'm guessing because the owners, who I believe have been the same two men since it became the 2-4 Club, managed to lose the earlier ones), you did have to become a member in order to enter. Memberships were easy to obtain and cheap ($15 annually). An additional cover was charged after 10 p.m. on weekend nights.

I know there are some other private clubs in the city, all of which have a 3:30 a.m. closing time, that aren't difficult to join if you know someone. I'm on the Board of Governors of one of the best known, the Pen & Pencil Club, Philadelphia's press club since 1892 (the oldest press club in continuous daily operation in the country). It's been popular with Industry people for many years, and our new General Manager comes from the Industry as well. We've been mothballed since the first lockdown and are eagerly looking forward to the time, probably this summer, when enough people will have been vaccinated that we can reopen safely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I’m glad to see Philly stepping up it’s game. But are these one-time payments or do they make you pay every night that you want to stay out later than 2?

I think with these new laws and the 24 hour subway service on weekends, Philly has potential to become one of the higher tier nightlife cities in the country.
It varies from club to club.

Of course, right now, all of this is suspended, including the overnight subway service, thanks to the pandemic. Check back here in six months or so.

Something else I decided to check on:

Since Vincent_Adultman was good enough to include Indianapolis in his initial Yelp survey but omitted both of Missouri's large cities , I decided to run his Yelp survey on Kansas City, whose civic leaders played the principal role in partially liberalizing Missouri's closing-time laws.

More than its cross-state rival St. Louis, Kansas City considers the convention trade a major pillar of its economy; the city trades on its status as the closest big city to the geographic center of the 48 contiguous states to pitch organizations on meeting there because it's equally accessible to everyone living on the coasts. Generally speaking, St. Louis and Kansas City don't see eye to eye on a number of issues (much like Philadelphia and Pittsburgh where I live now), so what happens when one city really wants something but the other's lukewarm is that a bill gets drafted in Jefferson City allowing cities, counties or defined districts to do that thing on a local-option basis.

So it was with bar closing times: the legislature passed a law allowing bars in "convention trade zones" to stay open until 3 a.m. weekdays and 4 a.m. weekends, at which point the cities of Kansas City and North Kansas City promptly declared their entire territory "convention trade zones."

It turns out that Metro KC has 160 bars (some of them bars and restaurants, as I also suspect is the case in the other cities Vincent_Adultman surveyed) that are open after 1:15 on Wednesday. About one-third of them, however, close 15 minutes afterward, the standard state-mandated closing time; some close at 2 a.m. and the rest at 3. I didn't check them rigorously against a map of the city and area to see where they were located; I assume most of those that close at 1:30 are located beyond the city limits of Kansas City or North Kansas City.

I suspect I'd find many more bars in St. Louis and its suburbs that closed at the earlier time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City