Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 03:06 PM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times

Advertisements

Hartford, New Haven, Bridgeport, Waterbury in Connecticut has significant Hispanic and Black population ratio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 08:21 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,217,758 times
Hey, I happen to be in The Bronx right now as I’m writing this post. How appropriate.

The Bronx is a pretty unique place, even within NYC. Maybe Upper Manhattan is the only thing that truly comes close, but outside NYC I’m going to agree with the people saying North Philly, at least when it comes to demographics. And the el that runs through parts of North Philly definitely helps too since The Bronx is known for having a lot of els. But those parts of North Philly with the El remind me more of Williamsburg/Bushwick in Brooklyn than The Bronx. When it comes to built form and topography, that’s where the differences come in.
Camden, NJ would probably be another good one too, but same differences apply.

Another thing that may be worth noting is that The Bronx is much safer than North Philly and Camden too, as both have notoriously high crime rates. The Bronx crime rate is kind of high for NYC, but low for general American standards.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:59 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Hey, I happen to be in The Bronx right now as I’m writing this post. How appropriate.

The Bronx is a pretty unique place, even within NYC. Maybe Upper Manhattan is the only thing that truly comes close, but outside NYC I’m going to agree with the people saying North Philly, at least when it comes to demographics. And the el that runs through parts of North Philly definitely helps too since The Bronx is known for having a lot of els. But those parts of North Philly with the El remind me more of Williamsburg/Bushwick in Brooklyn than The Bronx. When it comes to built form and topography, that’s where the differences come in.
Camden, NJ would probably be another good one too, but same differences apply.

Another thing that may be worth noting is that The Bronx is much safer than North Philly and Camden too, as both have notoriously high crime rates. The Bronx crime rate is kind of high for NYC, but low for general American standards.
Yeah despite The Bronx's reputation, it's not particularly dangerous as far as US cities go. It's murder rate isn't higj for American standards at all.

Old 04-20-2018, 01:35 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,895,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
To put it in relative terms, Lynwood is denser than Philadelphia, Chicago or Miami. And Compton is denser than LA proper
Are you "Serious" with this stuff? Compton/Lywood are tiny incorporated cities outside of LA. There's absolutely noting in Compton. Other than the 24hr Fitness, there's not much of anything going on. What's there closes very early, the houses and neighborhoods are sort of like South Jersey suburbs. There's no comparison to The Bronx, other than Hispanics and African Americans residing there., in which most Hispanics are of Mexican or Salvadorian decent, and the blacks are mainly African American.

Bronx is made up of Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, West Indians, Jamaicans, African Americans, Italians, Polish, Russian, German. They don't relate.

Old 04-20-2018, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post
Are you "Serious" with this stuff? Compton/Lywood are tiny incorporated cities outside of LA. There's absolutely noting in Compton. Other than the 24hr Fitness, there's not much of anything going on. What's there closes very early, the houses and neighborhoods are sort of like South Jersey suburbs. There's no comparison to The Bronx, other than Hispanics and African Americans residing there., in which most Hispanics are of Mexican or Salvadorian decent, and the blacks are mainly African American.

Bronx is made up of Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, West Indians, Jamaicans, African Americans, Italians, Polish, Russian, German. They don't relate.
I agree, except there actually are a lot of Mexicans in The Bronx (they're a pretty large group but distant 3rd to PRs and DRs)

Old 04-20-2018, 01:50 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,827,208 times
There is nothing in the Pacific Northwest that is anything remotely is gritty, diverse or dense as the Bronx.. However, if the Pacific Northwest had to find its closest Bronx like contender, it would be Lakewood, Washington. It is the most diverse city in Washington with a large Hispanic, African American, Pacific Islander, Korean, Filipino, Cambodian, Russian among various other ethnic groups. There is an entire large Korea town within the city as well. It is the city adjoining the Ft Lewis military base, so the military base probably has been a big influence on this city. It also has one of the highest crime and drug use rates in Washington state.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I agree, except there actually are a lot of Mexicans in The Bronx (they're a pretty large group but distant 3rd to PRs and DRs)
You what? You are right about there being Mexicans in the BX...lol..My lady was born & raised there, and does not recall ever meeting any while growing up. She recalls Dominicans first arriving there in large numbers while she was in Jr. High back in the day. Same thing with Philly, South Philly in the Italian Market area has a significant Mexican population. That's like maybe a 20 year history, maybe 22,23 tops, unlike California and other places out West.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:18 AM

Quote:
You what? You are right about there being Mexicans in the BX...lol..My lady was born & raised there, and does not recall ever meeting any while growing up. She recalls Dominicans first arriving there in large numbers while she was in Jr. High back in the day. Same thing with Philly, South Philly in the Italian Market area has a significant Mexican population. That's like maybe a 20 year history, maybe 22,23 tops, unlike California and other places out West.
That's true for The Bronx and NYC in general as well, the population exploded in the 90s and 00s. I'm only 23 and I haven't met any NY born Mexicans older than me so far. My mom was born in the 60s and she said she never knew any Mexicans growing up, and even in the 80s her friend worked at a Mexican restaurant that was run by Ecuadorians.

New York is not known for having a Mexican population the way cities out West are, but they have a large presence in at least a dozen neighborhoods now, in all 5 boroughs. I predict they will be the largest Hispanic group in NYC one day.

Old 04-20-2018, 04:10 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:

Ralph's (grocery store) and Nissan have distribution centers in Compton, and trucking company US Connection has their main terminal in Compton as well. Quit a bit of industry in Compton, mainly close to the 91 and to the 710. It helps that Compton is close to the Port of Los Angeles &Port of Long Beach, sort of similar to Hunts Point in The Bronx.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Ralph's (grocery store) and Nissan have distribution centers in Compton, and trucking company US Connection has their main terminal in Compton as well. Quit a bit of industry in Compton, mainly close to the 91 and to the 710. It helps that Compton is close to the Port of Los Angeles &Port of Long Beach, sort of similar to Hunts Point in The Bronx.
Well.... I lived briefly at 121st & Willowbrook, and have family in the area. No matter what industry is planted there still doesn't make anything remotely like The Bronx. That area, along with Watts & surrounding incorporated cities is what I call "Old LA." In the 70's and early 80's in most LA neighborhoods, just walking to the store or going to the supermarket, dry cleaners, laundry, movies, ect; was not an easy task without a car. These days, more of the old neighborhoods I've known on the Westside of South Central, and West LA have a bit more infill, which makes the area slightly more walkable and pedestrian friendly. Compton reminds me of that. Just not many, small businesses, restaurants, bodegas, small markets, mom & pop corner stores, etc;... I mean you really have to drive, and then "EVERYTHING" except the 24hr Fitness gym is closed by 9 PM. Anyway, still., it's Compton California and more like LA in every way, shape or form. Maybe, just maybe a San Francisco neighborhood could make a slight comparison, but without a decent sized population of African Americans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, and other Caribbean peoples, and the types stores and foods, that come along with them.... It's still a stretch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City