Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 02:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
That sounds like a lot of black people for a place in Colorado. What is the area with the highest percentage of blacks in the state? Outside of Denver?
https://www.roadsnacks.net/most-afri...s-in-colorado/
The city with the highest % black population is Aurora. The city with the largest number of black residents is Denver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
There are Puerto Ricans and Dominicans in Aurora?
I can't find a breakdown. Most Hispanics in Colorado are of Mexican ancestry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 07:10 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,167 times
Whoever said Compton...lol stop it.

Old 04-22-2018, 08:09 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,133 times
Surprised that no Florida city has been mentioned. The cities down there may lack the density criteria, but there is a very large PR and Dominican population as well as large amounts of West Indian Blacks there that is either as large as in NYC or a close second.

Old 04-22-2018, 08:50 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Surprised that no Florida city has been mentioned. The cities down there may lack the density criteria, but there is a very large PR and Dominican population as well as large amounts of West Indian Blacks there that is either as large as in NYC or a close second.
Very true! That's probably the closest you'll come

Old 05-11-2018, 03:16 PM

81 posts, read 179,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Maybe Lynwood or Compton, CA? Both are about half Hispanic/half Black now, and are quite dense
Most Hispanics in Compton and California as a whole, are MEXICAN ,Not Caribbean (Puerto Rican/Dominican)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Aurora, Colorado. 28% Hispanic, 15% black, 4% Asian. Some neighborhoods very similar to the Bronx demographically.
Again most Hispanics there are Mexican, I should of clarified that I'm talking about Eastcoast cities being that that's where Hispanic populations are predominately of Caribbean-origin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
NY: Yonkers, Buffalo, Rochester, Albany
CT: Waterbury, Hartford, Bridgeport, New Haven
MA: Boston, Springfield, Brockton
RI: Providence
NJ: Newark, Paterson Camden, East Orange, Atlantic City
PA: Allentown, Reading, Philly, Wilkes-Barre
FL: Orlando, Tampa, Miami
True in that damn near all these cities have Hispanic populations that are predominately Puerto Rican/Dominican, however SOME of these cities have very little blacks in them, Reading PA for example is only 6% black

Old 05-11-2018, 03:25 PM

754 posts, read 569,241 times
Certain Parts of Philly & Newark remind me of the Bronx, but of course they're not the same

Old 05-11-2018, 03:28 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
In terms of built form, there is no such place, except maybe parts of Upper Manhattan.

In terms of demographic mix, Miami comes closest, with huge Carribean Hispanic population, large Carribean black population, and whites are heavily Jewish.

Old 05-11-2018, 03:32 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,875,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
In terms of built form, there is no such place, except maybe parts of Upper Manhattan.

In terms of demographic mix, Miami comes closest, with huge Carribean Hispanic population, large Carribean black population, and whites are heavily Jewish.
Do a large % of Jews still live in the Bronx, I heard from my Jewish friends from NYC that most of the population moved out. I know at one time the Bronx was like 40 percent Jewish one of the highest in the world. Most of my friends when I was living in Manhattan were Jewish almost all of them because I am Swedish I didn't really fit in and they were the one culture I found to fit in with the the most of all ethnicities in NYC, Italians as well.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:01 PM

81 posts, read 179,749 times
Cities that are atleast 40% Hispanic/Latino (mostly Puerto Rican/Dominican), and atleast 15% non hispanic Black. And Are Urban.

MA- Springfield, Boston (SW Boston like Roxbury, Jamaica Plain)

RI- Providence

CT- Hartford, Bridgeport

NY- Yonkers, Rochester (because of its high integration between blacks and Hispanics thru out the city)

NJ-Newark, Paterson, Camden, Pennsauken, Pleasantville, Trenton, Vineland, Perth Amboy

PA- Allentown, Lancaster, York, Harrisburg (same reason as Rochester NY), Philadephia (especially North Philly)

Honorable mentions go to Lawrence (MA), New Haven (CT), White Plains (NY), Jersey City (NJ), Atlantic City (NJ), Reading (PA), Chester (PA), Coatesville (PA). Also, you can include a neighborhood or 2 in Buffalo, Cleveland, and Chicago each.

When you take out the urban factor, you can also include Florida areas like parts of Orlando and Miami, and to a lesser extant parts of Tampa and Jacksonville, can be seen as demographically similar to the Bronx. Especially areas like Poinciana and Pine Hills in the Orlando area, or an area like North Miami.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:05 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Do a large % of Jews still live in the Bronx, I heard from my Jewish friends from NYC that most of the population moved out. I know at one time the Bronx was like 40 percent Jewish one of the highest in the world.
I wrote that the white population of the Bronx is heavily Jewish (which it is). It's probably one of the most Jewish white populations of any county in the U.S. (perhaps the highest).

That's why it's demographically like Miami. Both have small white populations by %, but the % of Jewish within white population is huge.

Yes, 60 years ago, prior to suburbanization, the Bronx was very Jewish overall. But today the Bronx is mostly Carribean Hispanic (again, like Miami), with a sizable black Carribean population (again, like Miami).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City