Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city/area comes out on top in Mississippi River multi-city Throw-down, according to the thread
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN 43 51.81%
St. Louis, MO/IL 14 16.87%
Memphis, TN/AR/MS 4 4.82%
New Orleans, LA 22 26.51%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 10:51 AM

4,357 posts, read 4,190,870 times

Advertisements

Man If Minneapolis wasn't freezing half the year I'd move there in a heartbeat. Unfortunately that's a borderline,m deal breaker. I'd probably still give it the edge over NOLA here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 01:10 PM

18 posts, read 17,672 times
As the saying goes you can never have too much fun! While all 4 cities are good cities you can have equal amount of fun as you do in New O with the other 3 cities..

St.Louis is a offspring from a New Orleans native so my vote went to St.Louis

St.Louis is very half & half as much downside as you get with it you get an equal amount of upside.

Minneapolis Metro
3.5 Mil

St.Louis Metro
2.8 Mil

Memphis Metro
1.3 Mil

New Orleans Metro
1.2 Mil

If St.Louis Metro could ever reach 3 Million then you'll have 2~ 3 Million Metro's along the Mississippi & 2~ 1 Million Metro's along the Mississippi..

Old 04-21-2018, 09:05 PM

9,601 posts, read 9,201,333 times
Minneapolis first
Memphis last

Old 04-21-2018, 10:04 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,490,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
I'm with the New Orleans Crowd
We don't need no stinkin' criteria!

Old 04-22-2018, 08:34 AM

29,760 posts, read 18,629,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
We don't need no stinkin' criteria!
Although....best food, best music, best architecture, best party...

Old 04-22-2018, 11:13 AM

9,862 posts, read 14,191,241 times
wages and cost of living: Minneapolis/St Paul
a decent amount of job opportunities: Minneapolis/St Paul
a good number of parks acreage and recreational opportunities: Minneapolis/St Paul
walk-ability within the urban core (downtown) and throughout the city: Minneapolis/St Paul
must have a good public transportation system throughout the city: Minneapolis/St Paul
must be a good city to meet people (both platonic and non-platonic relationships): tough call here, but Minneapolis edges out rest
have a plethora of things to do (music festivals, museums, sporting events, etc.): hardest and closest category, but I'll give edge to Minneapolis
future economic and population growth in the city and suburbs: 110% Minneapolis area

Minneapolis/St Paul wins this, hands-down. It's entirely in another league of cities, as compared to the other 3 in this poll.
Minneapolis city: 413k growing briskly
metro: 3.6 million growing briskly

St Louis city: 305k declining briskly
metro: 2.8 million growing slowly

Memphis city: 650k growing slowly
metro: 1.35 million growing slowly

New Orleans city: 390k growing slowly
metro: 1.2 million growing slowly

I love New Orleans, and I also have a soft spot for Memphis, but both cities struggle with high crime, low wages, low job creation, and poverty. St Louis is decent in spots, but also struggles with high crime, low job creation and poverty. Not to mention people are moving out and leaving St Louis in droves (the city).

Minneapolis/St Paul is a growing, vibrant great metro area in which to live (minus the freezing weather...yikes lol).

Last edited by jjbradleynyc; 04-22-2018 at 12:00 PM..

Old 04-22-2018, 11:22 AM

1,707 posts, read 1,844,782 times
I don't care what facts you show me, I don't care how Big Minneapolis is I still choose New Orleans

Old 04-22-2018, 11:35 AM

15,963 posts, read 10,526,043 times
St. Louis wins although New Orleans is a close second. Memphis needs to try harder...might be the next N'Orleans when the real one sinks beneath the waves. Twin Cities -- cute, and you try so hard.

Old 04-23-2018, 05:47 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,149,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
wages and cost of living: Minneapolis/St Paul
a decent amount of job opportunities: Minneapolis/St Paul
a good number of parks acreage and recreational opportunities: Minneapolis/St Paul
walk-ability within the urban core (downtown) and throughout the city: Minneapolis/St Paul
must have a good public transportation system throughout the city: Minneapolis/St Paul
must be a good city to meet people (both platonic and non-platonic relationships): tough call here, but Minneapolis edges out rest
have a plethora of things to do (music festivals, museums, sporting events, etc.): hardest and closest category, but I'll give edge to Minneapolis
future economic and population growth in the city and suburbs: 110% Minneapolis area

Minneapolis/St Paul wins this, hands-down. It's entirely in another league of cities, as compared to the other 3 in this poll.
Minneapolis city: 413k growing briskly
metro: 3.6 million growing briskly

St Louis city: 305k declining briskly
metro: 2.8 million growing slowly

Memphis city: 650k growing slowly
metro: 1.35 million growing slowly

New Orleans city: 390k growing slowly
metro: 1.2 million growing slowly

I love New Orleans, and I also have a soft spot for Memphis, but both cities struggle with high crime, low wages, low job creation, and poverty. St Louis is decent in spots, but also struggles with high crime, low job creation and poverty. Not to mention people are moving out and leaving St Louis in droves (the city).

Minneapolis/St Paul is a growing, vibrant great metro area in which to live (minus the freezing weather...yikes lol).
+1! I chose the Twin Cities, too.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:44 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,490,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Although....best food, best music, best architecture, best party...
Sorry, Tall. Those aren't the OP's criteria. These are:

"wages and cost of living
a decent amount of job opportunities
a good number of parks acreage and recreational opportunities
walk-ability within the urban core (downtown) and throughout the city
must have a good public transportation system throughout the city
must be a good city to meet people (both platonic and non-platonic relationships)
have a plethora of things to do (music festivals, museums, sporting events, etc.)
future economic and population growth in the city and suburbs"

It's rude to hi-jack a city-data thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City