Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 11:08 PM

3,551 posts, read 3,013,837 times

Advertisements

Louisville is a fine city, and getting bigger and better everyday. But one of the advantages of Buffalo is that its influence and attractions extend across the Niagara, and are accessible to locals and travelers to the region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
And what I showed you is Louisville will have closer to 21k rooms in 12 months. Where is your source that Buffalo has 28k rooms? The changes within the tourism culture in Louisville in the last 2 years is nothing short of astonishing. As a real estate investor and Airbnb owner on the side here, I can show you first hand the number of visitors we are seeing here.
"More than three dozen new hotels are under construction or planned, adding over 3,000 rooms from Niagara Falls to Jamestown, with a heavy concentration in downtown Buffalo, according to data from Tennessee-based travel and hospitality research firm STR Inc. That’s nearly a 20 percent increase in room count in just a few years."
That's about 15,000 in the Buffalo CSA as of early 2017.

Buffalo News, Feb 18, 2017 Wave of hotel development adds 3,000 new rooms – The Buffalo News
"The Canadian side of the Falls, the study found, had more and higher-quality accommodations: almost 14,000 hotel rooms in 2009"

"There are several hotel development projects in the early-planning stages in the Niagara Falls market. The brands and opening dates on these projects are yet to be determined appear to be post 2018.
According to the City of Niagara Falls, there are over 25 hotel development projects that have gone through the planning process and been approved, but not moved forward."
Between the US and Canadian sides of the Metro Buffalo area, that's a total of at least 29,000 rooms regionally as of January 2017.

https://www.hvs.com/article/7889-in-...ontario-canada

Also, here is a study that shows both Hartford (#3) and Buffalo (#4) ahead of Louisville for concerts:
https://seatgeek.com/tba/music/which...most-concerts/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 12:01 AM

7,053 posts, read 16,628,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Louisville is a fine city, and getting bigger and better everyday. But one of the advantages of Buffalo is that its influence and attractions extend across the Niagara, and are accessible to locals and travelers to the region.

"More than three dozen new hotels are under construction or planned, adding over 3,000 rooms from Niagara Falls to Jamestown, with a heavy concentration in downtown Buffalo, according to data from Tennessee-based travel and hospitality research firm STR Inc. That’s nearly a 20 percent increase in room count in just a few years."
That's about 15,000 in the Buffalo CSA as of early 2017.

Buffalo News, Feb 18, 2017 Wave of hotel development adds 3,000 new rooms – The Buffalo News
"The Canadian side of the Falls, the study found, had more and higher-quality accommodations: almost 14,000 hotel rooms in 2009"

"There are several hotel development projects in the early-planning stages in the Niagara Falls market. The brands and opening dates on these projects are yet to be determined appear to be post 2018.
According to the City of Niagara Falls, there are over 25 hotel development projects that have gone through the planning process and been approved, but not moved forward."
Between the US and Canadian sides of the Metro Buffalo area, that's a total of at least 29,000 rooms regionally as of January 2017.

https://www.hvs.com/article/7889-in-...ontario-canada

Also, here is a study that shows both Hartford (#3) and Buffalo (#4) ahead of Louisville for concerts:
https://seatgeek.com/tba/music/which...most-concerts/

WHOA...neither article you posted stated the area has 29,000 hotels??? I read the entire articles. What it did say is this:

"More than three dozen new hotels are under construction or planned, adding over 3,000 rooms from Niagara Falls to Jamestown, with a heavy concentration in downtown Buffalo, according to data from Tennessee-based travel and hospitality research firm STR Inc. That’s nearly a 20 percent increase in room count in just a few years." If adding 3,000 rooms led to a 20% increase, please tell me what kind of math you are doing to show there are 29,000 rooms? Also, do you really feel Niagra Falls feels anything like a part of Buffalo, particularly when the tallest hotel towers are in a whole other country at least 45 mins away with tolls and border agents??

Rocketsci...that music study is useless unless you want to consider Louisville to be three times the size of Buffalo. If you concede Louisville is three times the size of Buffalo, I'll concede Buffalo or Hartford has more concerts...the problem with your ranking is it is "per capita" based on CITY population. But you and I know Louisville is not three times bigger, only on paper.

Louisville's "city" population is inflated to around 650k as the city annexed several (but not all) suburbs in its county.

So when you multiply that per capita ranking of 8.8 for Louisville by three, you get a bigger music scene. One area you will not argue Buffalo wins is the music scene. Louisville is on a whole other level than Buffalo musically and gets WAAAAY more concerts...it's just since Buffalo the city has a tiny population compared to its metro, it has "more per capita." A very misleading stat you posted there.

Louisville is routinely mentioned as a top 10 music city:

https://insiderlouisville.com/lifest...c-scenes-list/
Seriously, let's just take two annual music festivals in Louisville:

Bourbon & Beyond | Louisville, KY | Sept. 23-24, 2017
https://forecastlefest.com/

Just look at these lineups! Last year Eddie Vedder and Stevie Nicks played among others. These lineups attract millennials from coast to coast....

Last edited by Peter1948; 04-29-2018 at 12:28 AM..

Old 04-29-2018, 12:37 AM

Quote:
WHOA...neither article you posted stated the area has 29,000 hotels??? I read the entire articles. What it did say is this:

"More than three dozen new hotels are under construction or planned, adding over 3,000 rooms from Niagara Falls to Jamestown, with a heavy concentration in downtown Buffalo, according to data from Tennessee-based travel and hospitality research firm STR Inc. That’s nearly a 20 percent increase in room count in just a few years." If adding 3,000 rooms led to a 20% increase, please tell me what kind of math you are doing to show there are 29,000 rooms?

Rocketsci...that music study is useless unless you want to consider Louisville to be three times the size of Buffalo. If you concede Louisville is three times the size of Buffalo, I'll concede Buffalo or Hartford has more concerts...the problem with your ranking is it is "per capita" based on CITY population. But you and I know Louisville is not three times bigger, only on paper.

Louisville's "city" population is inflated to around 650k as the city annexed several (but not all) suburbs in its county.

So when you multiply that per capita ranking of 8.8 for Louisville by three, you get a bigger music scene. One area you will not argue Buffalo wins is the music scene. Louisville is on a whole other level than Buffalo musically and gets WAAAAY more concerts...it's just since Buffalo the city has a tiny population compared to its metro, it has "more per capita." A very misleading stat you posted there.

Just look at these lineups! Last year Eddie Vedder and Stevie Nicks played among others. These lineups attract millennials from coast to coast....
My bad, it is actually higher.

Was 15000, increased by 20% (3000) = 18000 in US.
Add 14000 on the Canadian side = 32,000 regionally.

I know nothing about the Louisville music scene, but Buffalo draws regionally for all of Western NY, NW PA, NE Ohio, and southern Ontario.

Last edited by RocketSci; 04-29-2018 at 12:48 AM..

Old 04-29-2018, 09:14 AM

New York Times today has a nice write-up on Louisville in the Travel Section.

Old 04-29-2018, 09:35 AM

13,940 posts, read 14,806,353 times
Quote:

"More than three dozen new hotels are under construction or planned, adding over 3,000 rooms from Niagara Falls to Jamestown, with a heavy concentration in downtown Buffalo, according to data from Tennessee-based travel and hospitality research firm STR Inc. That’s nearly a 20 percent increase in room count in just a few years." If adding 3,000 rooms led to a 20% increase, please tell me what kind of math you are doing to show there are 29,000 rooms? Also, do you really feel Niagra Falls feels anything like a part of Buffalo, particularly when the tallest hotel towers are in a whole other country at least 45 mins away with tolls and border agents??

Those concert numbers are for metro/media markets, because Boston-Manchester and San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose are not city limit measures.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:35 PM

821 posts, read 751,385 times
As far as income and education goes...
Median Household Income
Hartford: $72,559
Louisville: $54,546
Buffalo: $53,487
Per Capita Income:
Hartford: $38,272
Buffalo: $30,777
Louisville: $30,388
Percent of population with a bachelor's
Hartford: 38.2%
Buffalo: 31.5%
Louisville: 28.3%

Old 04-30-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
Median Household Income
Per Capita Income:
Yeah, I think everyone knows that Hartford is the wealthiest of the 3 cities. Its an economic powerhouse for its size, but its very business centric, although to the extent it is is exaggerated IMO.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:42 PM

7,053 posts, read 16,628,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Yeah, I think everyone knows that Hartford is the wealthiest of the 3 cities. Its an economic powerhouse for its size, but its very business centric, although to the extent it is is exaggerated IMO.
Is Hartford the "wealthiest?" Or is it just the cost of living is higher? It's an apples to oranges comparison.

I contend the latter. I am far richer on 45k in Louisville (or Buffalo) than I am on 75k in Hartford....everything in Louisville is cheaper from my sales tax to my fast food, to my car, to my home and healthcare. It's all relative.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Is Hartford the "wealthiest?" Or is it just the cost of living is higher? It's an apples to oranges comparison.

I contend the latter. I am far richer on 45k in Louisville (or Buffalo) than I am on 75k in Hartford....everything in Louisville is cheaper from my sales tax to my fast food, to my car, to my home and healthcare. It's all relative.
Almost always the higher COL place will have more disposable income, because Housing and such is roughly scaled to income.

So basically you'd have say 10-15% of your income/year left over for discretionary spending, in Hartford that's $7,500-10,000 while in Louisville its $5,000-7,500.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:22 PM

9,860 posts, read 14,183,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
Median Household Income
Per Capita Income:
This is deceptive though, as Hartford is still one of the poorest cities in the US, with 31.9% of its residents at the poverty level: (2016)
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...t,US/PST045216

Buffalo was at 31.2% while Louisville was at 17.7% (this includes Louisville/Jefferson county).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City