Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Quebec vs. Texas
Quebec 92 53.80%
Texas 79 46.20%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 10:19 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,801,634 times

Advertisements

Yes I know these two may be an odd comparison because they are so different, and that is why they make a good comparison thread. I pair this US state and Canadian province together because they are arguably more sovereign than any other place in their respective countries. Also I do find that some people have a lot of preconcieved misconceptions and stereotypes about both places. Lets see what people really think. Here is some criteria.

Urban Areas:
Culture/Character:
More independent:
Scenery:
Recreation:
Economy:
Education:
Climate ranges:
Overall:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 09:58 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,149,700 times
Yes I know these two may be an odd comparison because they are so different, and that is why they make a good comparison thread. I pair this US state and Canadian province together because they are arguably more sovereign than any other place in their respective countries. Also I do find that some people have a lot of preconcieved misconceptions and stereotypes about both places. Lets see what people really think. Here is some criteria.

Urban Areas: Quebec
Culture/Character: Tie, but I'm more fond of French Canadian culture than Tex Mex.
More independent: Tie but Quebec more recently as they tried to separate from Canada in 1995, something that could never happen in the US.
Scenery: Texas
Recreation: Quebec
Economy: Texas
Education: Quebec
Climate ranges: Quebec
Overall: Quebec

Old 11-15-2011, 10:04 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
I've spent a good chunk of time in both over the past few years, so I'll bite. For the record, I consider Quebec to be one of my favorite places on Earth so the comparison is a bit biased even though they are apples and oranges.

Urban Areas: Quebec. Obviously they're not bigger. However, they are more interesting. The blend of cultures, architecture, natural setting and layout that makes up cities in Quebec (particularly the two biggest, QC and Montreal) is unrivaled by anything in Texas (North America even- particularly in the case of Quebec City). I love it. I enjoyed many Texas cities more than I thought I would (especially Dallas), but I would put both Montreal (which I still believe is a LITTLE overrated) and Quebec City in my top 15 favorites in North America (Quebec City= top 5).

Culture/Character: Quebec. Both unique to their regions and both vary internally, but I don't think the Texas culture is NEARLY as unique as the Quebecois. Quebec FEELS like a different country than the rest of Canada. It doesn't hurt that the language is different. However, it goes far beyond that. Attitude and culture are much more similar to that of France than what you'd find in, say, Saskatchewan. While Texas certainly has some "lone ranger" feel about it, it doesn't compare to the push for separation that the Quebecois exhibit. Not even close. The native Inuit people in Quebec are exactly what you'd imagine... wearing furs and hunting marine mammals in the frozen tundra. It's an absolutely different world from Montreal only a few hours away. Quebec wins this one for me easily due to the sheer differences in cultures (both within the province and when compared to the rest of Canada).

More independent:Quebec. The movement to succeed is fierce. Far more so than Texas. The parliament for the province of Quebec is even called the "national capital." There is a serious desire to separate among a huge portion of the population (more so than in TX which I don't think is even really supportive of succeeding at all mostly).The cultural differences between Quebec and the rest of Canada are far more prominent than those between TX and the rest of the U.S. Those cultural differences stem well beyond the language barrier.

Scenery: Texas. I prefer the frozen tundra or rolling hills and mountains of Quebec, but Texas has an incredible variety of scenery that really is only rivaled by a place like California.

Recreation:Too tough to call. Plenty in each, just different.

Economy: Texas. Much more influential economically.

Education: I don't know. Texas probably given the number of good schools. Quebec does pretty well too.

Climate ranges: Quebec. Texas may vary more, but Quebec ranges quite a bit too. I prefer Quebec's climate (particularly in the Southern cities, not the frozen North).

Overall: Quebec. Again, one of my favorite places on earth.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:06 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Urban Areas: Montreal is to die for. Quebec.

Culture/Character: Texas.

More independent: Quebec.

Scenery: Tied.

Recreation: Texas.

Economy: Texas.

Education: I dont know.

Climate ranges: Texas.

Overall: Texas for me cause I think Id have more to choose from, but Quebec is lovely.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:08 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,694,910 times
Culture/Character: Texas
More independent: Quebec
Recreation: Texas
Economy: Not sure
Climate ranges: Texas
Overall: Texas FTW!

Old 11-16-2011, 08:26 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Disclaimer: I live in Quebec; I have been all over Texas.

Culture: Quebec
Character: Texas
Scenery: Tie
Recreation: Tie
Climate ranges: Texas
Overall: Hard to say

Old 11-16-2011, 08:46 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Culture/Character: Tie, but I'm more fond of French Canadian culture than Tex Mex.
More independent: Tie but Quebec more recently as they tried to separate from Canada in 1995, something that could never happen in the US.
Overall: Quebec
You lost all credibility after that statement.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:05 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,016,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post

Education: I don't know. Texas probably given the number of good schools. Quebec does pretty well too.
Texas is a state that removed Thomas Jefferson from their elementary American history textbooks because he was a deist/atheist, I'd rather send my child to school in any other state or developed nation in the world before I sent them to texas. Higher education is obviously a different story, I still think education is an easy victory for Quebec though.

overall? I don't know. Tough call. I personally would probably prefer Quebec but a good argument can easily be made for either side.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:17 PM

504 posts, read 1,270,296 times
Urban Areas: Texas
Culture/Character: Texas
Scenery: Quebec
Education: Not sure
Overall: Edge to Quebec b/c of climate

Old 11-16-2011, 10:14 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,801,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Texas is a state that removed Thomas Jefferson from their elementary American history textbooks because he was a deist/atheist, I'd rather send my child to school in any other state or developed nation in the world before I sent them to texas. Higher education is obviously a different story, I still think education is an easy victory for Quebec though.

overall? I don't know. Tough call. I personally would probably prefer Quebec but a good argument can easily be made for either side.
Interesting, I wonder how they would explain the Lousiana Purchase, Manifest Destiny, and the journey of Lewis and Clark without Thomas Jefferson in the history books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City