Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2020, 11:09 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,677,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Los Angeles you could argue is better. Wine country is very secular and not for everybody.
Is wine country supposed to be a religious experience or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2020, 11:42 AM

37,174 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Is wine country supposed to be a religious experience or something?
Dionysus going to smite you if you keep running that mouth.

Old 05-26-2020, 12:09 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,454,596 times
The original post is odd because it seems to be focused on parks and outdoorsy trips, but it does not explicitly specify we are talking these sort of day trips. San Francisco has fantastic outdoorsy day trips. The Mid-Atlantic, especially Philadelphia and New York, has the best mix of urban and outdoorsy day trips.

Old 05-26-2020, 12:14 PM

21,669 posts, read 12,808,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
The original post is odd because it seems to be focused on parks and outdoorsy trips, but it does not explicitly specify we are talking these sort of day trips. San Francisco has fantastic outdoorsy day trips. The Mid-Atlantic, especially Philadelphia and New York, has the best mix of urban and outdoorsy day trips.
New York Philly and Boston.

Bmore and DC a bit less so IMO-not as many great outdoorsy trips.

The original post just seemed like a humble brag.

Old 05-26-2020, 12:17 PM

37,174 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

Baltimore and DC seem a bit further away from some solid mountains than the other major cities of the Northeast Corridor, but I'm not sure if that's just my impression or actually true.

Old 05-26-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Baltimore and DC seem a bit further away from some solid mountains than the other major cities of the Northeast Corridor, but I'm not sure if that's just my impression or actually true.
It’s true, further from the ocean too

Old 05-26-2020, 01:00 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,454,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

I emphasized New York and Philadelphia, because we have the most central access to the rest of the Northeast Corridor. Boston and D.C. are quite a distance from one another.

DC has fantastic access to Shenandoah National Park, a beautiful outdoor getaway.

I prefer the day trip potential of any one city in the Northeast Corridor over any one city in California, personally.

Old 05-26-2020, 01:18 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,968,753 times
Quote:
I emphasized New York and Philadelphia, because we have the most central access to the rest of the Northeast Corridor. Boston and D.C. are quite a distance from one another.

DC has fantastic access to Shenandoah National Park, a beautiful outdoor getaway.

I prefer the day trip potential of any one city in the Northeast Corridor over any one city in California, personally.
Agreed. I like nature to an extent, but SF is simply too isolated from any other major cities outside its CSA and Sacramento. Reno's not a major city IMO. LA is seven hours away. Sacramento is a nice quiet place to live but let's not pretend it has anywhere near the history that Alexandria, Richmond, and Williamsburg have. Also, unless you're a diehard skiier, the Shenandoah and Blue Ridge are great. A mountain doesn't have to be over ten thousand feet tall to be scenic or worth hiking.

I'd also add that on a similar vein, Atlanta can easily compete with SF in terms of day trips.

Old 05-26-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:

Boston has more access to Islands/beaches/skiing etc than Philly or NYC. And it has access to NYC.

There literally a ski slop 6 minutes outside of the city boundaries and 4 urban beaches-2 in the city
https://goo.gl/maps/GzJC6YF97PrzbaWm8

Old 05-26-2020, 01:20 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,968,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
^It really does.

Objectively speaking (so much as I can), if your focus was mountains/national parks, I think you’d pick Salt Lake City over SF-or any other big metro. If your focus was varied biomes/mix of natural surroundings, I think you’d pick LA, given the proximity of coastal islands, alpine mountains/lakes, deserts, and even Sequoia Forest (which is closer to LA than SF. If your focus was having big mountains, and trees, and coast, I think you’d pick Seattle first. That isn’t to diss SF, just that it’s a big world out there.

Looking more broadly than that, I’d take Cleveland’s location of any in the Midwest, Richmond of any in the south, and Philadelphia of any in the Northeast.

On a global standpoint I’d probably pick Milan or Paris.. or potentially Hong Kong.
Yes. In SLC you can hit the ski slopes in an hour instead of three hours like in SF. And we're talking about fine, Wasatch Range powder vs. that wet hardpack snow of the Sierras.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City