Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 02:46 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,590,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Dallas also has a land area of 340.5 sq miles whereas Minneapolis has a land area of only 54.9 sq miles. Minneapolis at 340 sq miles has a larger black and Asian population. Hell, St. Paul alone has a larger Asian population than Dallas - 55,022 vs 46,401

Add St. Paul into the mix and I will take the ethnic variety of Minneapolis and St. Paul over Dallas. For city of over 1.3 million Dallas ethnic variety isn't very impressive.
:
You dont get to add St. Paul unless were looking at metro areas. If you want to talk metro area, great.

Either way, Dallas is more diverse than St. Paul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 03:00 PM

4,465 posts, read 5,015,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
This dude's planning a vacation. Can we keep at least one thread on here that actually answers OP's question? He's looking for a vacation. Tell him about the culture and nightlife and dining and sightseeing of the three cities listed. Literally he never asked about Detroit so why are you discussing Detroit in such length and detail?
Because Cleveland IS a subject of the OP's question and because the subsequent poster raised Detroit comparing Cleveland to it, negatively. For people to assume Cleveland is the same, or worse, than Detroit, I believe clarification needed to be made. This is especially true for visitors who know little to nothing about Cleveland where all they hear or read is that Cleveland and Detroit are essentially the same -- in a negative sense. And since all aspects of my post reflected in terms of what would make one of the city's more attractive to visit in the summer -- in this case Cleveland -- it was entirely relevant.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:10 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,247,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Because Cleveland IS a subject of the OP's question and because the subsequent poster raised Detroit comparing Cleveland to it, negatively. For people to assume Cleveland is the same, or worse, than Detroit, I believe clarification needed to be made. This is especially true for visitors who know little to nothing about Cleveland where all they hear or read is that Cleveland and Detroit are essentially the same -- in a negative sense. And since all aspects of my post reflected in terms of what would make one of the city's more attractive to visit in the summer -- in this case Cleveland -- it was entirely relevant.
I agree on your part, but I'm still so confused as to why Detroit was initially brought up to begin with. OP doesn't want to go there and Detroit never should have been mentioned.

I do actually really like Cleveland, though, and wish more people would visit it so it got a better reputation.

Old 05-15-2018, 05:13 PM

20,500 posts, read 33,311,608 times
Quote:
Dallas also has a land area of 340.5 sq miles whereas Minneapolis has a land area of only 54.9 sq miles. Minneapolis at 340 sq miles has a larger black and Asian population. Hell, St. Paul alone has a larger Asian population than Dallas - 55,022 vs 46,401

Add St. Paul into the mix and I will take the ethnic variety of Minneapolis and St. Paul over Dallas. For city of over 1.3 million Dallas ethnic variety isn't very impressive.

I was going by metro area anyway but I highly doubt Minneapolis has a larger black population than Dallas if both cities had the same square mileage. According to black demographics, the Twin Cities as a whole have 255,000 blacks and Dallas city alone has more than that.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:41 PM

57 posts, read 52,412 times
Hello! Original Poster here. Headed to Minneapolis, but definitely want to hit both Cleveland and Dallas at some point in the near future. Thanks for the tips everyone!

Old 05-15-2018, 10:42 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,412,010 times
Quote:
I visited Cleveland for the first time two years ago. I was looking for a short, cheap vacation while in school and have a friend there. I didn't have any high expectations because of what you always hear about the city. I ended up loving the city. Not enough to move there because I'm a big city boy, but I genuinely enjoyed my time in Cleveland. Little Italy isn't like the best Little Italy in the country, but it's a really cute neighborhood with great food. There are several museums just a few blocks west of Little Italy that were great to wander through. Ohio City has some really fun nightlife, breweries you can tour, and West Side Market's food variety is great. Never made it to W 6th, but I've heard great things. I did get dinner on E 4th and I loved that area! Also heard good things about Lakewood and stuff to do over there, but never made it. And, of course, Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. I'm not even the biggest rock & roll fan, but it was a really awesome experience spending almost a day there!!
Did you check out the West Side Market during your visit?

Old 05-15-2018, 10:43 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,412,010 times
Quote:
I agree on your part, but I'm still so confused as to why Detroit was initially brought up to begin with. OP doesn't want to go there and Detroit never should have been mentioned.

I do actually really like Cleveland, though, and wish more people would visit it so it got a better reputation.
A lot of people won't visit Cleveland because a lot of people are still ignorant about the city they still harbor those old stereotypes about the city.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:51 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,967,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
You dont get to add St. Paul unless were looking at metro areas. If you want to talk metro area, great.

Either way, Dallas is more diverse than St. Paul.
LOL! I don't get to add St. Paul? What is this, a game? Most know that Minneapolis and St. Paul literally border one another and are the core the MSP metropolitan area. They don't function as central city - suburb do. They are both economic / cultural / government hubs of the area and they essentially function as one.

Whatever the case, Minneapolis alone beats out Dallas and Minneapolis and St. Paul combined are much better than Dallas. I could care less about the metro areas.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:09 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,094,767 times
Quote:
LOL! I don't get to add St. Paul? What is this, a game? Most know that Minneapolis and St. Paul literally border one another and are the core the MSP metropolitan area. They don't function as central city - suburb do. They are both economic / cultural / government hubs of the area and they essentially function as one.

Whatever the case, Minneapolis alone beats out Dallas and Minneapolis and St. Paul combined are much better than Dallas. I could care less about the metro areas.
You would have to add in Fort Worth, which is also a core anchor of DFW in addition to Dallas..... Whether MSP is "better" is subjective. But objectively, you would have to include Fort Worth for Dallas if you're including St. Paul.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:51 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,590,704 times
Quote:

Were either talking about metro areas or cities. Pick one.

And as to which city "beats" the other one, it depends on the category. If youre talking about urban green space, walkability, or amenities for hipsters, yes Minneapolis is better. If you're talking about diversity, presence on a global stage, or food, Dallas is better. Minneapolis is such a regional player compared to Dallas.

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 05-16-2018 at 11:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City