Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 09:16 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,094,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Serious question. Idk enough about Dallas to say for sure. Would a member of the LGBT community feel comfortable living in nearly any neighborhood in Dallas? In SF, there is no neighborhood they would feel uncomfortable living in. In LA, there is no part of the LA Basin that would be uncomfortable for a gay person, and no part of the valley I don't believe either. The only places I can even think of would be suburbs like Sylmar, Palmdale, Lancaster, Glendora, Covina, parts of the IE, and parts of OC. But no place in the real LA that people think of as LA would be hostile. In NYC, you could maybe say some outer parts of Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island or the Bronx. But in my experience, the stereotypes of the outer BK, SI, outer Queens people is only half true. They're blue collar and vote Republican often, but they're far from homophobic...except maybe Brighton Beach...but even then not so bad. Chicago I'm not sure on as much, but I'd highly doubt there's anywhere in the city limits a gay person would fear for their life. Philly has the northeast which could be a little hostile, but still not bad.

I'm not saying there is anywhere in Dallas that a gay person would feel uncomfortable or fear for their life. Just saying that in LA, SF, NYC and Chicago, the gay population is very spread out among nearly all neighborhoods. That's a good sign of LGBT-friendliness, like Minneapolis. While there may or may not be a gayborhood, the fact that a gay person can live in nearly any neighborhood in the city is a much better testament to its openness than having a gayborhood or pride parade. Does Dallas have any neighborhoods within city limits where a gay person would feel uncomfortable living?

Personally, I don't like gayborhoods. I'd much rather integrate into the city as a whole and not worry about what neighborhood I'm in. So it's important to me that where I move, I will not be segregated to a select few neighborhoods.
For the most part, they would. I wouldn't live in neighborhoods southeast of Downtown, but that goes for anyone regardless orientation. The nightlife/social scene on Cedar Springs in the Oak Lawn neighborhood is still the epicenter of Dallas's gay nightlife and gay-owned businesses, but the neighborhood in general is becoming more mixed and gay people have been spreading out to other neighborhoods. So in that sense, there's less of a "gayborhood" from a residential POV but still a place to go for gay nightlife and businesses. You're more likely to meet a gay person living outside of Oak Lawn than one who lives there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 09:34 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,247,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
For the most part, they would. I wouldn't live in neighborhoods southeast of Downtown, but that goes for anyone regardless orientation. The nightlife/social scene on Cedar Springs in the Oak Lawn neighborhood is still the epicenter of Dallas's gay nightlife and gay-owned businesses, but the neighborhood in general is becoming more mixed and gay people have been spreading out to other neighborhoods. So in that sense, there's less of a "gayborhood" from a residential POV but still a place to go for gay nightlife and businesses. You're more likely to meet a gay person living outside of Oak Lawn than one who lives there.
That's great! I had no idea. Sounds like Dallas is becoming a lot more like the cities mentioned. The LGBT population goes to places like The Castro, WeHo, Hells Kitchen, Boystown, Gayborhood (Philly), Hillcrest (San Diego), but that definitely isn't where most live...and often by choice. I personally would not enjoy living in HK, but I'll venture there for nightlife once every couple of months. And within those neighborhoods the population is very diverse with young singles of all orientations, young couples with kids, and even some older couples. My straight retired parents almost moved to Hillcrest but now they frequent Gayborhood/Wash Sq West in Philly for the restaurant scene lol. Things like that show a city's progressiveness more than most other factors IMO. Great to hear Dallas is like that too.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:17 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,067,482 times
I would say,even outside of Dallas proper, there are no suburbs in which LGBTs, minus maybe T (no offense to Texas, but it is a lot friedlier to people of different sexual preference than orientation), would feel uncomfortable, or more so than non-LGBT people. Certainly not Denton Denton is a college town that has evolved into a hybrid suburb of Dallas and Fort Worth.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:06 PM

298 posts, read 412,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Lol, try. Can't speak for Cleveland, but Minneapolis-St. Paul is one of the gayest metro areas in the nation. Dallas is the gayest in Texas? That don't mean much when we're talking deep red Texas lol.

We don't have gaybourhoods in Minneapolis (or Saint Paul) because we don't NEED them. Everywhere is gay friendly. Gaybourhoods emerged as cultural enclaves in areas that were more homophobic. Minnesota never had the evangelical protestant southern culture that Texas has, which has historically not been very gay friendly. Its cool that Dallas has those 'hoods, but its even cooler that Minneapolis doesn't. You see pride flags and 'All are welcome' signs literally all over the Twin Cities.

Also, I've been to both Dallas and Twin Cities pride, twice. Dallas Pride in 2015 and 2016, and Twin Cities Pride in 2016 and 2018. Twin Cities Pride knocks Dallas' out of the park. No contest. Dallas Pride in 2016 was a joke. They imposed so many dumb regulations that year. We couldn't even bring dogs anymore, when we could in Minneapolis that same year, and in Dallas the year before.

I speak as a gay man who lived in Texas and now Minnesota. I like Texas for a lot of things, hell the other night I was craving a Whataburger, but to think anywhere in Texas can compare with Minneapolis for LGBT friendliness, thats just wrong. Maybe if you compared Dallas to a tiny town in Minnesota like Danvers, okay...
Lol. Dallas' Oak Lawn existed as a gay neighborhood when MOST of the country was homophobic. San Fransisco, NYC, and Chicago have neighborhoods that have historically been LGBT. They don't have the evangelical protestant southern culture you talk about.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:31 PM

1,351 posts, read 868,571 times
Dallas doesn't have better food than Minneapolis.

It's just that people in Texas think they're better at everything than everyone else.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:50 PM

8,196 posts, read 5,312,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
Dallas doesn't have better food than Minneapolis.

It's just that people in Texas think they're better at everything than everyone else.
Yeah, Dallas does have better food. Im not from Texas originally and Ive eaten in both cities a lot.

Not saying Minneapolis has bad food. Not at all. I do think the food in Dallas is better.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:27 PM

1,351 posts, read 868,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Yeah, Dallas does have better food. Im not from Texas originally and Ive eaten in both cities a lot.

Not saying Minneapolis has bad food. Not at all. I do think the food in Dallas is better.
And for the record, I'm not saying Dallas has bad food. I'm just going off of my experiences, and my friends in the Twin Cities are likely more plugged into the food scene than my friends in Dallas, so I'm probably not getting exposed to the best stuff in Dallas. What I've seen is not better than Minneapolis.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:37 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,129,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
My mom and dad who are in their 60s might like those things, but literally nothing in this list of things is something I would ever care do do or see. What kinds of things are there to do in Dallas-Fort Worth for young people who enjoy museums, parks, and the arts/music scene?
As a person in their 30's, I care about history - Dealy Plaza, the Presidential Library, and the Stockyards are history. What happened at Dealy Plaza was one of the most notorious acts, with far-reaching consequences, in American history.

And he/she also mentioned a "Katy Trail", which I am guessing is park-like place.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:41 PM

8,590 posts, read 14,749,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
As a person in their 30's, I care about history - Dealy Plaza, the Presidential Library, and the Stockyards are history. What happened at Dealy Plaza was one of the most notorious acts, with far-reaching consequences, in American history.

And he/she also mentioned a "Katy Trail", which I am guessing is park-like place.
It's a glorified sidewalk built primarily along an abandoned rail right-of-way. I do understand the allure because it's got decent shade, its well-manicured, and it runs near a lot of businesses, but I think it's a little overrated.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 01-15-2019 at 05:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City