Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 09:07 AM

14,008 posts, read 14,992,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
Considering St. Louis currently has its two tallest-ever residential towers under construction now, with one breaking ground soon that will be the city’s second tallest ever residential tower when it’s complete, I would say people underestimate St. Louis more than they should.
I think it depends because Urban Core has two definitions one being the 1-2sq mile Downtown/immediate surroundings which have bordering Urban Neoghborhoods and the 2nd being a 40-60sq miles Urban footprint surrounded by suburbs. With the Former St Louis might be able to compete but by the latter St Louis might slide backwards because of the plight of many of its non Downtown urban neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 10:25 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,914,424 times
Wynwood Miami proposal development

https://www.thenextmiami.com/wynwood...ood-tree-plan/

Old 05-10-2018, 07:46 PM

227 posts, read 197,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I would like someone to explain to me how Clevelands Urban Core is even remotely Booming. Maybe a couple neighborhoods, the Flats, the Euclid Corridor but the fact that jobs in the region peaking in 2002 and were higher in 2007 than today, the City population is dropping and RTA Ridership has dropped 20% is two years is telling me most of that momentum is hype.

St. Louis seems to be in the same boat

For Detriot and Baltimore they still have wide swaths not to far from Downtown that are very run down.

There is also no way the change could keep up with actually booming cities like Atlanta and Miami.

Philly is so urban that the growth probably won't be super noticeable so I think there are two answers to this question.
Cleveland's urban core isn't "booming" but there is tons of redevelopment and gentrification happening with lots of potential for "boom" in the making.

You've got the Flats East Bank and Ohio City extending westward towards Lakewood. You've also got Tremont gentrifying quickly. All are "hot markets" already. Then, extending eastward, you've got the Euclid Corridor project (fostering $6 billion in redevelopment) that already happened, ending at University Circle (which itself has seen extensive development) and now you have the Opportunity Corridor project starting where the Euclid Corridor left off, meant to round out the east side back towards Central.

Still lots of work to do but in terms of the next decade... the fundamentals are there for attracting the younger generations back from the suburbs and exurbs into city proper. In other words, "metro booming".

Old 05-10-2018, 07:49 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,127,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
Considering St. Louis currently has its two tallest-ever residential towers under construction now, with one breaking ground soon that will be the city’s second tallest ever residential tower when it’s complete, I would say people underestimate St. Louis more than they should.
Two residential towers isn't that big of a change lol. Atlanta has over 20 residential towers U/C right now spread between Downtown, Midtown, and Buckhead and has completed at least 10 in the last year with more still in the pipeline and being proposed.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:53 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,914,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueysBack View Post
Cleveland's urban core isn't "booming" but there is tons of redevelopment and gentrification happening with lots of potential for "boom" in the making.

You've got the Flats East Bank and Ohio City extending westward towards Lakewood. You've also got Tremont gentrifying quickly. All are "hot markets" already. Then, extending eastward, you've got the Euclid Corridor project (fostering $6 billion in redevelopment) that already happened, ending at University Circle (which itself has seen extensive development) and now you have the Opportunity Corridor project starting where the Euclid Corridor left off, meant to round out the east side back towards Central.

Still lots of work to do but in terms of the next decade... the fundamentals are there for attracting the younger generations back from the suburbs and exurbs into city proper. In other words, "metro booming".
Cleveland has potential

Old 05-10-2018, 08:26 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Two residential towers isn't that big of a change lol. Atlanta has over 20 residential towers U/C right now spread between Downtown, Midtown, and Buckhead and has completed at least 10 in the last year with more still in the pipeline and being proposed.
This is the kind of boasting that seems so prevalent on C-D Atlanta posters. Why knock a city struggling and one has reason to mention a good sign for that city? .... Compare Atlanta to other sunbelt fast growing cites or those with at least booming cores. Philly can boast 20 and Chicago 50 residential or mixed use high-rises to skyscrapers..... but I'm sure it wouldn't lessen Atlanta for you in the least.

St Louis and Cleveland both are already urban cities from previous eras. None claim most urban by far. But Atlanta still is not going to be a top Urban city in the US. It will surely have a increasingly urban core in both Midtown and Downtown and some corridors elsewhere.

In terms of residential high-rises? Miami has a HUUUUGE start in this list of cities.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:08 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,959,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
This is the kind of boasting that seems so prevalent on C-D Atlanta posters. Why knock a city struggling and one has reason to mention a good sign for that city? .... Compare Atlanta to other sunbelt fast growing cites or those with at least booming cores. Philly can boast 20 and Chicago 50 residential or mixed use high-rises to skyscrapers..... but I'm sure it wouldn't lessen Atlanta for you in the least.

St Louis and Cleveland both are already urban cities from previous eras. None claim most urban by far. But Atlanta still is not going to be a top Urban city in the US. It will surely have a increasingly urban core in both Midtown and Downtown and some corridors elsewhere.

In terms of residential high-rises? Miami has a HUUUUGE start in this list of cities.
This is so true. I can't vote because I don't know what is going on in the different cities. St Louis is seeing a huge amount of development in DT as old factories and offices are converted to condos and mixed use. One of the most amazing properties is the Railway Exchange. Over a million sq ft of office retail and residential space. Now is that going to change the way the city looks? No. But it will bring about some serious vibrancy to the Old Post Office District DT. Cities develop in different ways. St. Louis is a lot slower than Atlanta because they are two totally different places. I actually love the charm of St. Louis, Baltimore and Cleveland more so than the new stuff in Atlanta. It gives more originality.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 05-11-2018 at 01:25 AM..

Old 05-11-2018, 05:45 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,653,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I didn’t say STL is booming like Atlanta, just that people underestimate it more than they should. Atlanta is a sunbelt city that will never have the historic urban fabric that sets older cities apart from the boomtowns of today. Different strokes.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:01 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I actually love the charm of St. Louis, Baltimore and Cleveland more so than the new stuff in Atlanta. It gives more originality.
Believe it or not, there are historic areas in Atlanta--a pretty sizable swath of downtown qualifies--and parts of the historic cities that are nearly all brand new, like the Inner Harbor in Baltimore. Having a good mix of the old and new is ideal and it's more about certain parts of each city that do this rather than the entirety of the cities themselves.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:11 AM

14,008 posts, read 14,992,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
This is so true. I can't vote because I don't know what is going on in the different cities. St Louis is seeing a huge amount of development in DT as old factories and offices are converted to condos and mixed use. One of the most amazing properties is the Railway Exchange. Over a million sq ft of office retail and residential space. Now is that going to change the way the city looks? No. But it will bring about some serious vibrancy to the Old Post Office District DT. Cities develop in different ways. St. Louis is a lot slower than Atlanta because they are two totally different places. I actually love the charm of St. Louis, Baltimore and Cleveland more so than the new stuff in Atlanta. It gives more originality.
and this thread is about change not total urbanity in 2030, its 2030-2018, I just don't see an argument for St Louis, Detroit or Cleveland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City