Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 07:55 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times

Advertisements

Cities are under development all across the nation again. This debate is about urban change of these cities by 2030 with a highlight on those areas of the city that are not the most urban or have extreme blight and poverty still with the most room for development. Changing those areas will make the biggest difference in the feel of a city.

What kind of developments are expected or happening in those areas that will help to change the urban feel of these cities? Each of these cities has blighted areas, yet a lot of development. Which of these cities will see the most development in their blighted areas by 2030?

Backup your choice with examples if possible please.

Examples:

-Atlanta Beltline
-EBDI in East Baltimore
-etc.
-etc.
-etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 08:30 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
I would say Miami and Philadelphia are the run away choices, followed by Atlanta. The rest may see some infill and gradual change, but nothing drastic where it would change the entire landscape of the city (unless of course an Amazon of Apple lands there, but that is unlikely).

Miami, Philadelphia, and Atlanta are drastically different now compared to 20 or even 10 years ago.

I see Philadelphia taking after NYC with the infill of luxury apt, hotels, and condos working its way out from Center City into the outlying neighborhoods., and as well as the universities continuing to transform their respective neighborhoods.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:44 AM

14,011 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I would say Miami and Philadelphia are the run away choices, followed by Atlanta. The rest may see some infill and gradual change, but nothing drastic where it would change the entire landscape of the city (unless of course an Amazon of Apple lands there, but that is unlikely).

Miami, Philadelphia, and Atlanta are drastically different now compared to 20 or even 10 years ago.

I see Philadelphia taking after NYC with the infill of luxury apt, hotels, and condos working its way out from Center City into the outlying neighborhoods., and as well as the universities continuing to transform their respective neighborhoods.
I don't know about that just because turning a 3,000ppsm neighborhood into a 6,000ppsm neighborhood on the edge of Midtown Atlanta is a lot more noticeable than turning a 13,000ppsm neighborhood to a 16,000ppsm neighborhood on the just beyond UC.

Places like Charlestown, Cambridge, Somerville, Chelsea and the South End have all grown in population but still look largely the same, that's kind of the path Philly would be taking.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:40 AM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
In this timeframe, I think Miami's going to see the greatest amount of change. Its density is rapidly increasing due to strong population growth and lack of developable land and it's about to get commuter and regional rail into downtown.

Unfortunately, the decades soon afterwards will likely be pretty harsh to the region.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I don't know about that just because turning a 3,000ppsm neighborhood into a 6,000ppsm neighborhood on the edge of Midtown Atlanta is a lot more noticeable than turning a 13,000ppsm neighborhood to a 16,000ppsm neighborhood on the just beyond UC.

Places like Charlestown, Cambridge, Somerville, Chelsea and the South End have all grown in population but still look largely the same, that's kind of the path Philly would be taking.

This is true. That is really what the thread is about.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:09 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,167 times
Is this about Urbanity or Population Density? I’m confused.

I’m going with Philly, Cleveland, or Detroit.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Is this about Urbanity or Population Density? I’m confused.

I’m going with Philly, Cleveland, or Detroit.
Since we're talking about current and future development, the barometer is going to be based on how new development changes the city and neighborhood feel. For example, a street of blighted houses being razed with a new 6-8 story building being constructed there with first floor retail etc. etc.

Population density is a direct reflection of new residential development in a neighborhood and will also reflect the changes in population density in a neighborhood. A neighborhood that is already developed filling in the few open parking lots that are open will not really change a neighborhood. A low density, undeveloped neighborhood seeing new development is going to feel a lot more different from an urban perspective relative to where the neighborhood started.

Old 05-02-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
In this timeframe, I think Miami's going to see the greatest amount of change. Its density is rapidly increasing due to strong population growth and lack of developable land and it's about to get commuter and regional rail into downtown.

Unfortunately, the decades soon afterwards will likely be pretty harsh to the region.
Miami is seeing a lot of development, but isn't it mainly along the coast and in downtown? I didn't think Miami was seeing that much neighborhood change. What is happening in Liberty City, Overtown, Little Havana, or Allapattah for example? Philly also has tons of development in Center City and UCity, but I'm not aware of the development in the neighborhoods.

In Baltimore, you have EBDI in East Baltimore:
https://10x2020progress.jhu.edu/prio...tipping-point/

In Atlanta, you have the Beltline:
https://www.homes.com/blog/2017/08/u...neighborhoods/

In Detroit, you have the new neighborhood Midtown:
https://urbanland.uli.org/planning-d...roit-michigan/

Old 05-02-2018, 12:16 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times
I'm probably not the best one to give details about the Pittsburgh developments, but what I know of that is ongoing/planned , in areas of the city that could be called struggling or blighted:

• North Side : redevelopment of the main commercial street is in process but slow and is expected to take years, however this could really revitalize the entire North Side by having a more functional and suitable business district for some of the nearby gentrified areas (Mexican War Streets, Deutschtown)
  • Lower Hill District : development of the area that was the Civic arena is another one that's going slow, very slow. There is supposed to be residential starting soon for phase I. Phase II has commerical and office plus more residential. The fact that the Penguins still have development rights to the land has made this a problem since they probably don't mind the parking lots there. But supposedly they need to get it moving quick at this point or lose their rights according to the contract.
  • Uptown : There has been some recent multi-unit residential renovations, and new structures which are breathing a little new life into this long-blighted area close to downtown. There also was a recent announcement that UPMC will be building a large new specialty hospital and research center there. I expect this area to gradually keep infilling and improving. It might be much more dense in 10 years.
  • Strip District : although not really blighted, the Strip has had a lot of vacant/derelict buildings for a while. It has been a hotspot for new residential near the Allegheny riverfront for years now though, and this trend seems like it will continue. There is also office demand, and I would expect the Strip to revive somewhat as a nightlife area as well, but probably not to the extent it was decades ago.
  • East Liberty : Most of the area is no longer blighted, and some of it is much in-demand. There are plans to continue to expand Bakery Square office and residence developments, and I think there is another residential project planned alongside the busway station there. The old retail area of East Liberty along Penn Ave is still largely vacant or struggling, though and remains to be seen what will move in there. The area as a whole I think will continue to infill and densify, partially because it is centralized and near shopping/nightlife areas in Shadyside, and the Google offices are there which may continue to expand.

Last edited by _Buster; 05-02-2018 at 12:26 PM..

Old 05-02-2018, 12:34 PM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Miami is seeing a lot of development, but isn't it mainly along the coast and in downtown? I didn't think Miami was seeing that much neighborhood change. What is happening in Liberty City, Overtown, Little Havana, or Allapattah for example? Philly also has tons of development in Center City and UCity, but I'm not aware of the development in the neighborhoods.

In Baltimore, you have EBDI in East Baltimore:
https://10x2020progress.jhu.edu/prio...tipping-point/

In Atlanta, you have the Beltline:
https://www.homes.com/blog/2017/08/u...neighborhoods/

In Detroit, you have the new neighborhood Midtown:
https://urbanland.uli.org/planning-d...roit-michigan/
Overtown is in for some massive changes. Wynwood is also inland as is the Design District. It's those parts and the greater downtown area that'll be seeing the largest changes.

The big thing is that there's a lot of existing density in several neighborhoods, but not the concomitant street vibrancy you might expect to go along with it. I think with even greater density and bringing more rail straight into downtown, Miami is going to feel palpably different at street level.

Atlanta and Miami have added about the same number of people since 2010 by census estimates and yet the land area of Atlanta is almost four times greater than that of Miami. Baltimore and Detroit will be lucky if they post gains at all between the 2010 and 2020 census.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City