Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 04:48 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Forget that America have more immigrants
Can you explain the connection you are trying to make?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 05:37 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
He just wanted to convert the data in the table to Canadian Dollars.

PPP is far more complex than what he was suggesting.
I'm just pointing out that PPP is more relevant to real people on the ground. It may be more complex but it is actually relevant.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:44 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,626,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Wow shocking and sobering statistics. I had no clue the number of people on disability in the U.S is 20% - that's crazy! Imagine if half of them went off disability entered the workforce.
The actual percentage and number of people on disability (SSI and SSDI) in the United States as of March is 4.2 percent or 13.8 million (13,807,000) out of a total U.S. population of about 329,000,000.

https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/quic...stat_snapshot/

https://www.census.gov/popclock/

The number of people receiving food stamps is about 12.7 percent or 41.9 million. And that number has been dropping rapidly after the spike during the worst economic period the U.S. has seen in over 70 years.

https://www.fns.usda.gov/pd/suppleme...e-program-snap

The U.S. labor force participation rate is 62.8 percent as of April, but the Netherlands is only slightly higher at about 63.5 percent as of December 2017. Its average rate from 1990 to 2017 is 62.35 percent. The U.S. rate in December was 62.7 percent.

https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS11300000

Netherlands Labor Force Participation Rate

https://www.theglobaleconomy.com/Net...participation/

Old 05-10-2018, 07:59 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
Quote:
I don't get what you are saying but i'll elaborate and hope it clarifies things for you.

GDP PPP (Purchasing Power Parity) Is more useful than nominal GDP because it accounts for localized factors such as relative cost of living and inflation rates rather than just exchange rates.

An example: Australia and Canada are comparable 1st world countries. According to the IMF, The nominal per cap GDP in Australia is 55,707 USD per year while Canada is only 45,077 per year. A 10K USD per year difference. This is very significant however when you account for cost of living and inflation rates between the two, the IMF ranks the GDP per cap PPP is 49882 USD for Australia and 48,142 USD for Canada. The difference is far less significant and is more relevant a measure to a person on the ground living in either country rather than a nominal rate.

Multinational or even domestic employers are aware of this stuff and adjust their salaries to account for these things.

Why would you care how much I pay for a can of coke in Canadian dollars when I buy that in Canada. I don't care how much you pay in USD for a can of coke in your State - it doesn't impact me. What impacts me is costs of goods in Cad dollars here. You should care about Canadian dollars when you come to Canada. With the exchange rate the way it is you'd probably be pretty happy about it. That said, if your employer relocated to Canada - they'd probably adjust your salary to account for localized Cost of Living, taxes etc.

If I had my way, i'd be making my CAD income in Canada but live in Thailand or Malaysia.. My money would stretch waaaaaay further there as would yours. That is called living large buddy!
Apparently if you have no use for, or care about cost, value ... in the States FOR US state comparisons. Why should I care for Canada's?
Quote:
It's kind of laughable to compare States to countries in USD. Those countries you are comparing your States to don't in large part use your currency. I get paid in Canadian dollars and purchase or sell everything in my country in Canadian dollars. The only time I use USD is well - when I travel to the United States. Therefore, it would be more useful to me to convert my countries GDP from the USD figure above to a CAD dollar figure.
If all is irreverent and laughable? Why even reply. But again it wasn't the topic. Merely, one posters list of comparison found and posted.

Guess you didn't like all of Canada's GDP output similar to the State of Texas. Makes it more difficult to boast for Canada. But it was not the thread topic anyway or Canada included. But you needed to knock a US way of calculating its statistics anyway (as you noted in previous threads you mocked GDP figures to US CSA's calculations).

I surely know all about able to live large in a tropical region of Thailand, the Philippines or Central America. By the value of our dollars purchasing power. My Brother spent months at a time in Cebu Philippines and raved how cheap and tropical.

But on topic.... the thread is merely between US states anyway. One poster.... posted US State's GDP and found where US states were close to some whole countries. There was NO INTENT to lessen these Countries.

I should have left some others see your post and wonder why you get angry and need to lessen US GDP... though states vs counties I get you did not like..... and why. As a state to a whole Nation seems to lessen.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:45 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Wow shocking and sobering statistics. I had no clue the number of people on disability in the U.S is 20% - that's crazy! Imagine if half of them went off disability entered the workforce.
As of 2016, almost half of all persons with a disability are 65 years or older and 34% of persons with a disability are employed part-time.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/disabl.nr0.htm

Old 05-10-2018, 10:10 PM

8,857 posts, read 6,851,017 times
"Persons with a disability"....a phrasing only used on occasions of extreme correctness, vs. "34% of the disabled" for example.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
The actual percentage and number of people on disability (SSI and SSDI) in the United States as of March is 4.2 percent or 13.8 million (13,807,000) out of a total U.S. population of about 329,000,000.

https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/quic...stat_snapshot/

https://www.census.gov/popclock/

The number of people receiving food stamps is about 12.7 percent or 41.9 million. And that number has been dropping rapidly after the spike during the worst economic period the U.S. has seen in over 70 years.

https://www.fns.usda.gov/pd/suppleme...e-program-snap

The U.S. labor force participation rate is 62.8 percent as of April, but the Netherlands is only slightly higher at about 63.5 percent as of December 2017. Its average rate from 1990 to 2017 is 62.35 percent. The U.S. rate in December was 62.7 percent.

https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS11300000

Netherlands Labor Force Participation Rate

https://www.theglobaleconomy.com/Net...participation/
Thanks for this information. 13.8 million vs 20 million is a pretty sizable difference. Facts matter so thanks for putting solid stats behind this!

Old 05-11-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Apparently if you have no use for, or care about cost, value ... in the States FOR US state comparisons. Why should I care for Canada's?.
Exactly! That's what I've been saying.. The only time it should matter is if you come to Canada. I have some USD in my wallet for the next time I go to the U.S - not when I buy things here. Unless you come to Canada you shouldn't care about Canadian money or exchange rates USD to CAD. Our money is a lot prettier and smells better though. One Hundred dollars bills smell like maple syrup

Quote:
If all is irreverent and laughable? Why even reply. But again it wasn't the topic. Merely, one posters list of comparison found and posted..
Well sure, I could not post about anything but who would you have meaningful conversations with Dave - I pay attention to you buddy i'm the anti Hillary in that regard so be nice to me like I am to you. Stop being so mean

Quote:
Guess you didn't like all of Canada's GDP output similar to the State of Texas. Makes it more difficult to boast for Canada. But it was not the thread topic anyway or Canada included. But you needed to knock a US way of calculating its statistics anyway (as you noted in previous threads you mocked GDP figures to US CSA's calculations).
Actually i'm not surprised. Generally speaking the U.S and its States have a higher GDP per cap than Canada and her Provinces. Texas has almost 30 million people and is a pretty wealthy State. I'm not surprised at all actually. That said, i'm pretty certain income inequality is greater in Texas than it is in Canada.

Quote:
I surely know all about able to live large in a tropical region of Thailand, the Philippines or Central America. By the value of our dollars purchasing power. My Brother spent months at a time in Cebu Philippines and raved how cheap and tropical.
Yeah amazing value, great weather and laid back lifestyle. If I could I would but gotta pay the bills and take care of the kids ya know!

Quote:
But on topic.... the thread is merely between US states anyway. One poster.... posted US State's GDP and found where US states were close to some whole countries. There was NO INTENT to lessen these Countries. .
I got it I just thought it was good to point out how these comparisons can lead one astray. I think I did that even if you won't admit it

Quote:
I should have left some others see your post and wonder why you get angry and need to lessen US GDP... though states vs counties I get you did not like..... and why. As a state to a whole Nation seems to lessen.
Huh? you're off with this! I'm certainly not angry - sheesh man you are gauging emotion from online posts lol.. I'm actually a pretty happy guy. I'm blessed and fortunate in so many ways.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-11-2018 at 06:21 PM..

Old 07-18-2018, 05:10 PM

14,051 posts, read 13,923,200 times
Florida is now have join 1 trillion GDP club

"The FCF said the state is adding about $2.74 billion to the state's gross domestic product each day."
"
Despite hitting the $1 trillion mark, there's still room to grow. Wage growth has long been pointed to by economists as an area Florida's economy -- and the national economy -- need to address to continue growing."

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/flor...tone/791010604
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City