Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: better reputation?
Washington DC 52 49.52%
Boston 53 50.48%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 10:53 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
And being a taxpaying American citizen.
That has nothing to do with the actual city where people live normal lives. The entire city isn't Capital Hill you know.

What was so horrible about your experiences as a tourist that caused you to dislike the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 11:02 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That has nothing to do with the actual city where people live normal lives. The entire city isn't Capital Hill you know.

What was so horrible about your experiences as a tourist that caused you to dislike the city?
Acting like the Federal Government is a minor factor in DC as opposed to the entire reason for its existence is silly.

While the majority of jobs are non political the Government is not some minor factor in the lives of DMV residents

Old 05-10-2018, 11:12 AM

801 posts, read 1,513,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
So DC now can join NYC, LA, SF, Boston list ?

Runners up: Seattle, Miami, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas.
Did you forget about Chicago?

Old 05-10-2018, 11:15 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Acting like the Federal Government is a minor factor in DC as opposed to the entire reason for its existence is silly.

While the majority of jobs are non political the Government is not some minor factor in the lives of DMV residents
It's truly bizarre to ignore that.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post

Didn't you say this already? This doesn't even serve as an actual counter argument.

Do you actually expect to go out in Adams Morgan or on U Street at night and walk into a club or bar with a bunch of members of the House Freedom Caucus in the place? Lolol

I'm in downtown Silver Spring at the moment and I'm trying to figure out where the government-dominated feel is.

Don't get me wrong, there are social settings where you'll definitely get the type A vibe, especially when it comes to happy hours and such and it can be a bit more than what people are used to. But it's often an overstated point as well. I'm simply asking Vlajos about his experiences specifically.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
It's truly bizarre to ignore that.
I'm asking about your experiences specifically and it seems as though you have none. I've already conceded in this forum on multiple occasions that some people can be turned off by aspects of DC politically, but I wanted to know what spurred a hatred of DC on your part as a tourist.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:39 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
Chicago too

I add future lists for: Minneapolis, Denver, Portland

Old 05-10-2018, 01:13 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL63 View Post
in terms of tourist destination, culture, people, quality of living, etc.

which is more respected and reputable?
Hmm...I think since the question is basically asking what the general perspective is and not my own personal one, I'm pretty sure DC is held in higher regard. It's obviously got the higher profile around the country and certainly around the world.

Now if I was going to pick, I find them both very even. There are some things that might have me leaning more towards Boston and some things that would make me favor DC. In the end though, objectivity aside, I prefer DC now simply cause I now have many ties to the area.

Old 05-10-2018, 01:26 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Chicago too

I add future lists for: Minneapolis, Denver, Portland
While I love Chicago and it is still in the top tier of cities; it is starting to slip a little given the financial situation, population decreases, and crime numbers. Now it's still the third largest city in the US, is extremely diverse, all major law, medicine, CPA/financial firms, world-class universities, restaurants, etc. In addition to thriving tourism. However, especially due to financial struggles and negative media attention due to crime; it has slipped off that very top tier in a lot of people's minds.

Old 05-10-2018, 01:43 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Didn't you say this already? This doesn't even serve as an actual counter argument.

Do you actually expect to go out in Adams Morgan or on U Street at night and walk into a club or bar with a bunch of members of the House Freedom Caucus in the place? Lolol

I'm in downtown Silver Spring at the moment and I'm trying to figure out where the government-dominated feel is.

Don't get me wrong, there are social settings where you'll definitely get the type A vibe, especially when it comes to happy hours and such and it can be a bit more than what people are used to. But it's often an overstated point as well. I'm simply asking Vlajos about his experiences specifically.
No but you would see people who work for the SSA, VA, EPA, USDA, DHHS, State Department, DOT, CFPA, DOD, NSF, Congressional Staffers, people who work for CNN, ABC, BBC, FOX, DNC, RNC and Lobbyists who are there because the Government is there.

So yes there is this annoyance by a lot of Americans that this fabulously wealthy city is built completely on the backs of their tax dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City