Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: better reputation?
Washington DC 52 49.52%
Boston 53 50.48%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 01:50 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,113,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
So yes there is this annoyance by a lot of Americans that this fabulously wealthy city is built completely on the backs of their tax dollars.
This is very true. DC's success (although great for it's residents) rubs the average American the wrong way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 02:03 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
The title of this thread is about reputation/respect.

DC, outside of NYC/The Bay Area/LA, is probably the most visible American city internationally. The statues and monuments, the history, the political influence on a global scale. It all plays directly into this conversation whether you like that idea or not. So, I agree that it's bizarre for residents to ignore it because obviously it carries huge weight. Just because your inner circle doesn't work for the NSF or the DHHS doesn't change the perception of the outside world. People in France don't really give two s**** about your nights in Adams Morgan, and how you don't feel any political influence there.

As my last post stated, I give the nod to DC for the sake of this thread and it's recognition globally (though Boston's higher ed/hospitals/biopharma don't have it far behind). Plus, as someone pointed out, more tourists go through DC than Boston. That's a telling statistic.

As far as the general area, and which I like more? I'll take Boston/Cambridge. Actually, Cambridge alone isn't far behind for me.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:07 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
The title of this thread is about reputation/respect.

DC, outside of NYC/The Bay Area/LA, is probably the most visible American city internationally. The statues and monuments, the history, the political influence on a global scale. It all plays directly into this conversation whether you like that idea or not. So, I agree that it's bizarre for residents to ignore it because obviously it carries huge weight. Just because your inner circle doesn't work for the NSF or the DHHS doesn't change the perception of the outside world. People in France don't really give two s**** about your nights in Adams Morgan, and how you don't feel any political influence there.

As my last post stated, I give the nod to DC for the sake of this thread and it's recognition globally (though Boston's higher ed/hospitals/biopharma don't have it far behind). Plus, as someone pointed out, more tourists go through DC than Boston. That's a telling statistic.

As far as the general area? I'll take Boston/Cambridge. Actually, as far as city limits, I'd almost take Cambridge alone.
He didn't say Global Reputation, in General people in the United States have a lot more reverence for the Private Sector than the Government.

There is tons of resentment of DC in the US, particualarly is the less vibrant regions of the country where their city struggles and they are sending all their tax money to DC where the median income is twice that of their town, with the Washingtonian's salary being paid by them.

However, there is also an anti-academia strand in US Culture where Harvard is a posterboy of entitlement as well, but Boston is known for more than Harvard.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:19 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
No but you would see people who work for the SSA, VA, EPA, USDA, DHHS, State Department, DOT, CFPA, DOD, NSF, Congressional Staffers, people who work for CNN, ABC, BBC, FOX, DNC, RNC and Lobbyists who are there because the Government is there.

So yes there is this annoyance by a lot of Americans that this fabulously wealthy city is built completely on the backs of their tax dollars.
I get that, which is a pretty overly simplistic perspective. But somehow, I feel that those types of people who are annoyed would rarely visit DC in the first place.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I get that, which is a pretty overly simplistic perspective. But somehow, I feel that those types of people who are annoyed would rarely visit DC in the first place.
Reputations go beyond those who have experienced a place, I have a picture in my head about what Berlin or Vienna are suppose to be, but I have never been to either place.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
He didn't say Global Reputation, in General people in the United States have a lot more reverence for the Private Sector than the Government.
He didn't say domestic reputation either.

But, domestic or international, DC is more recognizable. It's more visible. It's more influential. Again, tourism statistics will tell you just that.. Unless people visit places they don't like/don't want to see...

Old 05-10-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That has nothing to do with reputation/respect. You're confusing two separate conversations.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
He didn't say domestic reputation either.

But, domestic or international, DC is more recognizable. It's more visible. It's more influential. Again, tourism statistics will tell you just that.. Unless people visit places they don't like/don't want to see...
You can both dislike DC and everything it stands for, and want to go see the Smithsonian because it is the greatest collection of exhibits in the world (maybe second to the Imperial Museums in London). Those are not exclusive.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
You can both dislike DC and everything it stands for, and want to go see the Smithsonian because it is the greatest collection of exhibits in the world (maybe second to the Imperial Museums in London). Those are not exclusive.
I dislike the New York Yankees and what that evil empire stands for, but I respect the heck out of them. And I realize that they have a larger, and quite possibly better (internationally anyways) reputation than my Red Sox. Also not exclusive.

But, tourists aren't traveling from around the globe for the Smithsonian. Or even cross country. An individual museum/statue/piece is simply a piece of DCs fabric. They are traveling to see the city in which they've known their whole lives to be the "Capital of the free world".

Old 05-10-2018, 02:45 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Pretty simple really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City