Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city
Portland, OR 3 10.34%
Vancouver, WA 3 10.34%
St. Louis, MO 4 13.79%
Chicago, IL 15 51.72%
Philly, PA 7 24.14%
SLC, UT 4 13.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 06:26 PM

26 posts, read 18,245 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm looking to move this by August 2018. Ideally it'll be a city I can plant deep roots in and eventually buy a house within the next year or 2. I've done lots of research and have finally narrowed down the cities from 20 to 6 and would like input from those who have lived there for 3 or more years.

I have a bachelor's degree in social science and a minor in psychology. I have work experience as an executive assistant, an admin assistant, an office manager, a teacher, and a researcher.

I'm 31 and single, I share custody of my children with my ex-husband, and ideally would like a good balance of activities to do with the kids and by myself.

Would love;

* easy access to nature - I absolutely LOVE to hike, and fell in love with the mountains Vegas, Arizona, and Utah had to offer when I lived in Vegas.

*Good to excellent education system (escaping Vegas because of poor national ranking).

*Decent paying jobs (loved LA for this) with room for growth, ideally would like to start off making $50K. I do not wish to teach any more.

* Within 30 minutes from a major city (more likely to get a good paying position in a major city I'm guessing).

* Activities and events for families and singles.

* A welcoming/ friendly city. I found some of my closest friends in Vegas, they were from other parts of the country originally, but we all became each others family even though we met through meetup hiking sites. I'd like to build a community of friends for my kids and I.

*Excellent public transportation/walk-able (loved Paris and Rome for this), but I'm okay with buying a car if necessary.

*Active meetup groups or social groups (easier to meet people I'm guessing, just in case I don't at work).

*Bonus if close to a university, thinking of going to grad school for psychology.

*Able to get a 2 - 3 bedroom spot for $1,400 or less in a decent to great area (bonus if I can rent a house/duplex for the price as opposed to a condo or apartment)

Cities on my radar are;

Portland/Vancouver (it's a tie!) Heard great things about Washington school system, and love the access to nature, and Portland for the high possibility of obtaining work in the research field.

St. Louis seems to have great cost of living, and there seems to be job openings with good salaries. Family oriented with free museums and such.

Chicago has the sports culture that is somewhat exciting, job openings with good salaries, social groups and bars.

Salt Lake Cities easy access to nature, and close enough to national parks. Great cost of living, not sure about job openings and salary.

Philly seems to have lots to do for children and adults. Also seems to be moderately priced homes.

Please tell me if I am wrong about my assumptions, and your experience with living in these cities.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 09:50 AM

1,013 posts, read 911,831 times
I feel bad no one has answered...probably can’t go wrong with any of your choices, no place is permanent anyway if you don’t love it move on. This thread/poll is a little hard to answer because not many people have experience in all these cities at least not enough to give credible advice on them. I’ve been no help good luck tho!

Old 05-08-2018, 10:26 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
I feel bad no one has answered...probably can’t go wrong with any of your choices, no place is permanent anyway if you don’t love it move on. This thread/poll is a little hard to answer because not many people have experience in all these cities at least not enough to give credible advice on them. I’ve been no help good luck tho!
This is true. I can only possibly compare CHI, PHL, STL, and PDX and really CHI is the only one I can claim to know somewhat well. Also my interests dont align that much with the OP so it's hard for me to offer too much insight.

For walkability and public transport, Chi and Philly are tops on this list and probably tops for any city given the housing budget. PDX is slightly below those but my impression is housing will be difficult. SLC and STL are probably ok but tough to truly go carless.

Good luck OP!

Old 05-08-2018, 11:20 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatmakesmysoulhappy View Post
Salt Lake Cities easy access to nature, and close enough to national parks. Great cost of living, not sure about job openings and salary.
I don't think the cost of living is quite as good as you may be thinking it is, but the job market is pretty good here.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:25 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
These places are literally all over the country - where is ex-husband? Shouldn't being in reasonable proximity to him be a factor, with shared custody? You may want to talk to your divorce attorney to discuss how travel expenses get paid if you move a plane ride away.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:28 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,003 times
West Mt. Airy, Roxboro, East Falls,or Far Northeast sections of Philadelphia.
West Chester, Drexel Hill, King of Prussia, Phoenixville, Collegeville., cities outside of Philadelphia.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Haha, thank you! It seems I wasn't clear - no need to have lived in all 6! Just anyone of them for at least 3 years would be fine.

You are right, if it's not good I can always move, if it were just me I wouldn't mind, but feel a bit bad for my kiddos as one is in middle school and the other will be starting this Fall

Old 05-08-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
This is true. I can only possibly compare CHI, PHL, STL, and PDX and really CHI is the only one I can claim to know somewhat well. Also my interests dont align that much with the OP so it's hard for me to offer too much insight.

For walkability and public transport, Chi and Philly are tops on this list and probably tops for any city given the housing budget. PDX is slightly below those but my impression is housing will be difficult. SLC and STL are probably ok but tough to truly go carless.

Good luck OP!

Thank you! You've been helpful

Old 05-08-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I don't think the cost of living is quite as good as you may be thinking it is, but the job market is pretty good here.
Happy to hear the job market is good! I thought quite the opposite. Would $1,400 be too little to get a decent 2 or 3 bedroom in a safe enough area?

Old 05-08-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
These places are literally all over the country - where is ex-husband? Shouldn't being in reasonable proximity to him be a factor, with shared custody? You may want to talk to your divorce attorney to discuss how travel expenses get paid if you move a plane ride away.
I have primary custody of them, not 50/50 I would like to be within an hour away from an airport, they fly to him for the summer and winter breaks only. We've already covered travel expenses (we've been divorced for 4 years )

Thanks for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City