Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more entertaining?
DC 14 10.29%
Atlanta 23 16.91%
Miami 30 22.06%
Houston. 7 5.15%
Dallas 8 5.88%
Austin 8 5.88%
New Orleans 24 17.65%
Charlotte 4 2.94%
Tampa 0 0%
Orlando 4 2.94%
Nashville 14 10.29%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 02:34 PM

122 posts, read 91,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
To say Miami has nothing in common with other Southern cities is downright laughable.
What commonalties does Miami have with southern cities it doesn't have with other northern cities?

Old 05-18-2018, 03:09 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TasteofSourCherry View Post
What commonalties does Miami have with southern cities it doesn't have with other northern cities?
Cuisine, Southern black culture (though there are differences within black cultures within the south, there are similarities), transit are just a snip of things that remind me of other southern cities. It's dense like Northern cities but the city as well as the rest of the metro area is still car centric like most Southern cities.

Old 05-18-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Cuisine
Cuisine? How does Miami have any shared commonalties with the south? The most widely eaten dishes there are Cuban, and/or South American.

Quote:
Southern black culture
How many Black people in Miami are from Haiti and the islands? You probably have more southern Black culture in Chicago than Miami.

Quote:
transit
Lack of transit doesn't make a city southern. Just about all cities not located in the BoWash or called San Francisco or Chicago lack transit. What transit will you find in Detroit? You'd probably find more Southern "soul food" restaurants in Detroit than Miami as well.

Old 05-18-2018, 03:53 PM

For fun, I'm using Yelp and punching "grits" and dividing it by "food" and the name of the city. 30,000 seems to be the max returned by Yelp so take the ratios for NYC and LA with a grain of salt. The Bay Area as well.

Results:

NYC: 1565/30000 = 0.052*
Washington DC: 695/9624 = 0.072
Philadelphia: 564/14671 = 0.038
Boston: 361/8077 = 0.045

Chicago: 652/18143 = 0.036
Detroit: 280/9433 = 0.03
Minneapolis: 158/6893 = 0.023
St Louis: 239/5920 = 0.04
Cleveland: 194/5014 = 0.039

Miami: 393/10860 = 0.0362
Atlanta: 1280/12825 = 0.099
Houston: 625/14868 = 0.042
Dallas: 633/14513 = 0.043
New Orleans: 600/3479 = 0.17

Seattle: 343/10351 = 0.0331
San Francisco/Bay Area: 1034/29934 = 0.0354
Los Angeles: 969/30000 = 0.0323*
San Diego: 358/12959 = 0.0276
Denver: 342/9446 = 0.036
Phoenix: 293/10847 = 0.027

Old 05-18-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Cuisine? How does Miami have any shared commonalties with the south? The most widely eaten dishes there are Cuban, and/or South American.

How many Black people in Miami are from Haiti and the islands? You probably have more southern Black culture in Chicago than Miami.

Lack of transit doesn't make a city southern. Just about all cities not located in the BoWash or called San Francisco or Chicago lack transit. What transit will you find in Detroit? You'd probably find more Southern "soul food" restaurants in Detroit than Miami as well.
Yeah I think I know what I’m dealing with here.

The most widely eaten dishes are Cuban and/or South American? My family and friends outside of my uncle actually marrying a Cuban eats none of those cuisines. I also lived in both Chicago and Miami. You will not find more Southern culture among the black population in Chicago than you would with Miami. Also, I am saying outside of Miami being dense , it’s just as car cultured and car centric as the South. Look up fish and grits which is widely eaten throughout the south. Also, there are dozens on top of dozens of soul food spots in South Florida.

Old 05-18-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
The most widely eaten dishes are Cuban and/or South American? My family and friends outside of my uncle actually marrying a Cuban eats none of those cuisines.
Anecdotal evidence is highly biased. Please find a way to quantify. I also lived in Miami, and I don't remember the restaurants featuring any "Southern food" except maybe for the occasional fried chicken place. OTOH, empanadas, croquetas, ceviche, chicken with pinto beans, cuban sandwiches, cuban coffee were things that kept coming up on the menus. In fact, office culture was always punctuated by cuban coffee!

Now, the post above yours, I did try to quantify it. Ignoring NYC/LA which maxed out on the "food" results, you can get a sense of how much southern food staples appear in the cities. Miami is in line with northern cities and there is a huge divide between Miami and Atlanta/New Orleans even with Miami and Houston/Dallas/DC.

Your car culture argument is not valid. Almost all US cities have a car culture. We can name the ones that don't on one hand.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Anecdotal evidence is highly biased. Please find a way to quantify. I also lived in Miami, and I don't remember the restaurants featuring any "Southern food" except maybe for the occasional fried chicken place. OTOH, empanadas, croquetas, ceviche, chicken with pinto beans, cuban sandwiches, cuban coffee were things that kept coming up on the menus. In fact, office culture was always punctuated by cuban coffee!

Now, the post above yours, I did try to quantify it. Ignoring NYC/LA which maxed out on the "food" results, you can get a sense of how much southern food staples appear in the cities. Miami is in line with northern cities and there is a huge divide between Miami and Atlanta/New Orleans even with Miami and Houston/Dallas/DC.

Your car culture argument is not valid. Almost all US cities have a car culture. We can name the ones that don't on one hand.
I can take you places in Liberty city, Carol City, Norland, Bunche Park, Opa Locka, Overtown that serves collard greens, candied yams, Mac and cheese, fish and grits, etc. Just because you may not search for these places does not mean they hardly exist in abundance throughout South Florida, happiness. You will also find that serve sweet tea in these places as well. You using Yelp on just grits somehow means a certain dish isn’t popular in the city as it is in the north? Foolish. How about you venture into homes and get a taste of what they serve. And my car culture is valid if you understand what I mean by car culture. If you know what donks are, this is done heavily in other Southern cities and states to which includes Miami, Atlanta, and Alabama.

Again, I’m not arguing there that Miami embodies Southern culture. I am arguing against the notion that segments of Miami has little in common with Atlanta, New Orleans, Memphis, Charlotte, etc.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:48 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:

Have you been to any historically black neighborhoods in SoFla? There are plenty of places that serve fish and grits, many of which can't be found on Yelp. Even then, that shouldn't be the sole indicator. It doesn't provide anymore than anecdotal evidence. Southern cuisine is vast. And for the sake of argument, the popularity of college and HS football in SoFla is another similarity.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
If you know what donks are, this is done heavily in other Southern cities and states to which includes Miami, Atlanta, and Alabama.
mmhmmm, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94YAMal_NMA

Old 05-18-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Have you been to any historically black neighborhoods in SoFla? There are plenty of places that serve fish and grits, many of which can't be found on Yelp. Even then, that shouldn't be the sole indicator. It doesn't provide anymore than anecdotal evidence. Southern cuisine is vast. And for the sake of argument, the popularity of college and HS football in SoFla is another similarity.
Yes, especially Allapattah, Overtown and Little Haiti (does that count as a historic black neighborhood)? None of them felt like a stereotypical southern neighborhood to me. I used to go to Allapattah to get things like conch fritters on the way from work.

Either way, you can go into the 'hood' in Detroit and Chicago and get grits, gumbo, fried chicken, collard greens, etc. That's because most blacks in these neighborhoods are 1-2 generations removed from the South and they still maintain a lot of Southern customs in cooking.

In Miami it's even less cut and dry because a good portion of the Blacks come from the islands, or latin america as well as the south. Allapattah is a nice fusion as I pointed out.

Now, we can quantify this. And I did just that. It was clear that the Southern cities had elevated number of restaurants that serve grits except for Miami. This could be a coincidence, or it could be a reflection of what I was saying all along.

Besides, college and HS football is big in the midwest too. Maybe even bigger there than the south. Actually, it's not all that big in Miami. Miami is building a soccer stadium lol, because apparently Beckham thinks Miami is one of the better cities in the US for soccer to take off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City