Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more entertaining?
DC 14 10.29%
Atlanta 23 16.91%
Miami 30 22.06%
Houston. 7 5.15%
Dallas 8 5.88%
Austin 8 5.88%
New Orleans 24 17.65%
Charlotte 4 2.94%
Tampa 0 0%
Orlando 4 2.94%
Nashville 14 10.29%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 06:52 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,036,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That means nothing. Chicago is not known for this. Miami, Tampa, Atlanta, and Alabama are.
More like Miami only. The best donks today are still only found there.

Old 05-19-2018, 05:12 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Looking at the list I don’t see why not!
Apparently you aren't familiar with all the cities on the list. For one, the fact that Miami is in the lead is not a fluke.

Old 05-19-2018, 03:03 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,431,627 times
This thread is so irritating to the point that it should be closed.. By including DC on this list and arguing with posters responding to his thread, it seems that the OP did this on purpose to stir the pot and spark debate..

I will say it once more along with supporting evidence.. DC is NOT a Southern city.. Please see below:
  • DC is part of the NORTHEAST Megalopolis
  • DC is part of Amtrak's NORTHEAST Regional Railway
  • Per the FAA, DC is PART of the EASTERN Region with NYC-JFK being the designated regional office
  • Per the Geological Society of America, both MD and DC are part of the Northeastern United States
  • Per the USGS, the DC metro is part of NORTHEAST Region
  • Per the USGS, the DC metro is part of the Mid-Atlantic Groundwater Table which includes areas as far NORTH as New York and New Jersey
  • In Corporate America, in most companies DC is considered PART of the NORTHERN Region, I work for a FORTUNE 500 company and DC is PART of the NORTHEASTERN region of the company..
  • As a former DC resident, I never once met any person in DC that considered DC as a "Southern City", DC was always referred to as "Part of the Northeast" or a "Northeastern City"
  • As a current FL resident, I do not know anyone down here that considers DC as part of the "South", every person I have spoken to down here considers DC to be a NORTHERN city..
I can keep going with additional evidence but I will stop.. Long story short, DC is NOT a Southern City.. I really don't understand why this is so difficult to understand about this..

Old 05-19-2018, 03:09 PM

5,822 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Happiness-is-close still trying to convince people Miami and Florida aren't the South? Hahahahaha...

Old 05-19-2018, 03:11 PM

5,822 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
This thread is so irritating to the point that it should be closed.. By including DC on this list and arguing with posters responding to his thread, it seems that the OP did this on purpose to stir the pot and spark debate..

I will say it once more along with supporting evidence.. DC is NOT a Southern city.. Please see below:
  • Per the FAA, DC is PART of the EASTERN Region with NYC-JFK being the designated regional office
  • Per the Geological Society of America, both MD and DC are part of the Northeastern United States
  • Per the USGS, the DC metro is part of the Mid-Atlantic Groundwater Table which includes areas as far NORTH as New York and New Jersey
  • In Corporate America, in most companies DC is considered PART of the NORTHERN Region, I work for a FORTUNE 500 company and all of our Regional Offices consider DC as part of the NORTHEASTERN Region..
  • As a former DC resident, I never once met any person in DC that considered DC as a "Southern City", DC was always referred to as "Part of the Northeast" or a "Northeastern City"
  • As a current FL resident, I do not know anyone down here that considers DC as part of the "South", every person I have spoken to down here considers DC to be a NORTHERN city..
I can keep going with additional evidence but I will stop.. Long story short, DC is NOT a Southern City.. I really don't understand why this is so difficult to understand about this..
Repeat this refrain three times, turn out your lights, click your heels and snap your fingers, and when you turn on your lights we'll see if your assertion of DC as not the South, is more than an opinion, just because you so desperately want it that way...

You guys kill me...

Old 05-20-2018, 12:47 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,277,183 times
Quote:

• In Corporate America, in most companies DC is considered PART of the NORTHERN Region, I work for a FORTUNE 500 company and DC is PART of the NORTHEASTERN region of the company..
Blaming me because I included DC. You all need cut this out, DC is ambiguous culturally in many ways, but is is technically southern... so there it is. The culture in places like PG county definitely have a lot more in common with big southern cities as opposed to philly and NY.

DC is built semi-nothern, but no. Ppl from NY that I know lump it in with the south because the homegrown culture exude southern qualities. Let it go. For the purposes of this thread, it is southern. Period. Southern cities are growing at much faster rate than other parts of the nation, DC is in that bunch, thats another reason it is included.

Old 05-20-2018, 03:00 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Blaming me because I included DC. You all need cut this out, DC is ambiguous culturally in many ways, but is is technically southern... so there it is. The culture in places like PG county definitely have a lot more in common with big southern cities as opposed to philly and NY.

DC is built semi-nothern, but no. Ppl from NY that I know lump it in with the south because the homegrown culture exude southern qualities. Let it go. For the purposes of this thread, it is southern. Period. Southern cities are growing at much faster rate than other parts of the nation, DC is in that bunch, thats another reason it is included.
The only problem I have with you saying this here, is that you the OP decided to make this thread to play Devils advocate and include DC (fine). Yet you really haven't provided any other input to this thread other than posts about DC or why you included it and everyone should accept it. Which to me shows more of an agenda being pushed than actually believing in why you did it.

Furthermore this very post I'm replying to exemplifies what I'm talking about because you brought in PG County (which is not Southern btw) as your means of an explanation of how it differs from New York and Philadelphia. PG County is not the District of Columbia nor had been mentioned in this thread until your agenda pushing brought it up here. For this reason I haven't wasted much time here.

Old 05-20-2018, 03:12 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:

Precisely. As another point it should be made clear, I think there is a misconception about the overall Black population in DC or the DC area. The Black population here for the most part is not Southern at least in the immediate core. Black DC has long identified with being its own world outside of any region than the Mid-Atlantic. I know 0 DC/Chocolate City natives who consider themselves Southerners, and also when we travel South we can't shake the rep of not being Southern down there. I also agree that Miami Blacks and all those other Southern cities mentioned, have more in common with each other than any of them do with DC Blacks. Blacks in DC are about as Southern as Blacks in Chicago or Detroit, it just happens to be located on the actual East Coast and physically closer to the South.

Back to the topic. Miami is the most exciting city on this list for night life, followed by NO. I'd say for things to do overall day and night Atlanta and Washington DC are the two more exciting. However I haven't been to those Texas cities. I've been to every city on that list other than the Texas ones.

Old 05-20-2018, 03:30 PM

122 posts, read 91,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I'd say for things to do overall day and night Atlanta and Washington DC are the two more exciting.
Even during the day, Miami has the beach and boating. Two things Atlanta nor DC have. All 3 cities have museums, orchestras etch - DC will be the best there, at the same time DC will have no beach or water sports.

I'm actually curious what exciting things you were referencing that can be done in DC and Atlanta but cannot be done in Miami?

Old 05-20-2018, 03:47 PM

741 posts, read 1,112,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post

So, here’s what we do know:

The larger city-data community doesn’t consider DC Southern. We know this already through multiple polls on the subject.

We aren’t cutting anything out. I think it is good for DC people to run interference on these very threads to let them know that we don’t accept the opinion of us being Southern and we will stand up for ourselves.

As far as NY people that consider DC Southern, we don’t care what they think. They don't have authority on the subject.

The most irritating thing about all of it is that outsiders aren’t in control of who we are and how we identify ourselves. You all can’t tell us DC people who we are. Simple as that.

Last edited by revitalizer; 05-20-2018 at 04:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City