Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more entertaining?
DC 14 10.29%
Atlanta 23 16.91%
Miami 30 22.06%
Houston. 7 5.15%
Dallas 8 5.88%
Austin 8 5.88%
New Orleans 24 17.65%
Charlotte 4 2.94%
Tampa 0 0%
Orlando 4 2.94%
Nashville 14 10.29%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 03:58 PM

122 posts, read 91,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by revitalizer View Post
So, here’s what we do know:

The larger city-data doesn’t consider DC Southern. We know this already through multiple polls on the subject.

We aren’t cutting anything out. I think it is good for DC people to cause interference on these very threads to let them know that we don’t accept this opinion and we will stand up for ourselves.

As far as NY people that consider DC southern, we don’t care what they think.

The most irritating thing about all of it is that outsiders aren’t in control of who we are and how we identify ourselves as. You all can’t tell us DC people who we are. Simple as that.
To continue comparing Miami and DC, an interesting point of comparison is religion.

In DC, 9.1% are American baptists and 6.8% are Southern baptists = 15.9% baptists. [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogr...hington,_D.C.]
In Miami, just 5.4% of the population declare as baptists (no breakdown into Southern or American).Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 05-22-2018 at 05:52 AM..

Old 05-20-2018, 03:59 PM

741 posts, read 1,113,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TasteofSourCherry View Post
Even during the day, Miami has the beach and boating. Two things Atlanta nor DC have. All 3 cities have museums, orchestras etch - DC will be the best there, at the same time DC will have no beach or water sports.

I'm actually curious what exciting things you were referencing that can be done in DC and Atlanta but cannot be done in Miami?
DC doesn't have water sports?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_water_sports

Rowing in DC? Yes
Yachting in DC? Yes
Paddleboating in DC? Yes
Kayaking in DC? Yes
Fishing in DC? Yes
Canoeing in DC? Yes
Boating in DC? Yes (People live on boats in DC, too)

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_des...shington%2C+DC

Old 05-20-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
DC doesn't have water sports?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_water_sports

Rowing in DC? Yes
Yachting in DC? Yes
Paddleboating in DC? Yes
Kayaking in DC? Yes
Fishing in DC? Yes
Canoeing in DC? Yes
Boating in DC? Yes (People live on boats in DC, too)

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_des...shington%2C+DC
You can row anywhere. Where do people yacht in DC? DC is located on a river.

Old 05-20-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Rowing is a water sport. It doesn't matter where. You said DC didn't have water sports.

There are tons of yachts in DC. We have like 8 or 9 marinas (and that's just in the city). More in the larger area.

Have you ever heard of the Capital Yacht Club?

Old 05-20-2018, 04:58 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,565,972 times
Quote:
Even during the day, Miami has the beach and boating. Two things Atlanta nor DC have. All 3 cities have museums, orchestras etch - DC will be the best there, at the same time DC will have no beach or water sports.

I'm actually curious what exciting things you were referencing that can be done in DC and Atlanta but cannot be done in Miami?
I'm sorry I should have said outside of South Beach and the Bay. Miami beats every city here for water activities etc.

For DC you have a great amount of things to do beyond museums however. Our parks are amongst the best in the nation, bicycling, marathons, outdoor festivals of all kinds, and there are water activities here too, canoeing, white water rafting, tubing, kayaking etc all exist here.

https://www.rivertrail.com

Quote:
Yes on a river that leaks out to the Chesapeake and beyond, there are tons of yachts on DC's waterfront. You sound like you either haven't been or don't know the city that well.

https://www.capitalyachtclub.com

Yes we do all white yacht parties in DC too.

Last edited by the resident09; 05-20-2018 at 05:14 PM..

Old 05-20-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Yes on a river that leaks out to the Chesapeake and beyond, there are tons of yachts on DC's waterfront. You sound like you either haven't been or don't know the city that well.

https://www.capitalyachtclub.com
Ok there is a yacht club. So there is boating, just not much of it in DC.

https://www.discoverboating.com/reso...le.aspx?id=122

Maryland is not on the list and Virginia is #19. Probably Miami-Dade + Broward + Palm Beach have more registered boats than Maryland + Virginia alltogether.

Old 05-20-2018, 05:20 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,565,972 times
Quote:
Ok there is a yacht club. So there is boating, just not much of it in DC.

https://www.discoverboating.com/reso...le.aspx?id=122

Maryland is not on the list and Virginia is #19. Probably Miami-Dade + Broward + Palm Beach have more registered boats than Maryland + Virginia alltogether.
Correct, and go figure because the vast majority of the population there is 20 miles or less from the Atlantic. Our population is tucked in a Piedmont strip of land between mountains and ocean. But we have access to pretty much whatever water activities necessary, especially if you encompass the whole Cheseapeake Bay region. Also I'd look for an updated list on Maryland it's not among the most, but places like Annapolis are popular for boating and owning boats with a dock outside the home.

Old 05-20-2018, 06:33 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,684,625 times
Washington has tons of boating. There are marinas all along the Potomac and its tributaries. There are shipyards (umm Navy Yard), Navy ships, commercial fishing boats, yachts , sailboats, speed boats, tour boats...and west of Georgetown the real fun begins. There is excellent kayaking, rafting, tubing, canoeing. The Potomac (all of Virginia’s rivers, well technically that river belongs to MD) is very wide. It’s several miles (5-7?) wide at the mouth.

Boating is probably the 4th-5th thing that I think of when I think of Washington (there are boats around every bridge into town, Alexandria too, and I spent a week living on a sailboat there in high school.

Of course water is the first thing that I think of when I think of Miami. It obviously has nicer water access and conditions.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:27 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
So, here’s what we do know:

The larger city-data community doesn’t consider DC Southern. We know this already through multiple polls on the subject.

We aren’t cutting anything out. I think it is good for DC people to run interference on these very threads to let them know that we don’t accept the opinion of us being Southern and we will stand up for ourselves.

As far as NY people that consider DC Southern, we don’t care what they think. They don't have authority on the subject.

The most irritating thing about all of it is that outsiders aren’t in control of who we are and how we identify ourselves. You all can’t tell us DC people who we are. Simple as that.
I see this as mainly an issue of geography/geographical classification (and there is some variation present there, with Southern being among the options) as opposed to culture. A whole bunch of people in Miami/south FL don't consider themselves Southerners either.

But there's no need to "stick up for yourselves" when people place DC in the South. It's not an insult.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I see this as mainly an issue of geography/geographical classification (and there is some variation present there, with Southern being among the options) as opposed to culture. A whole bunch of people in Miami/south FL don't consider themselves Southerners either.

But there's no need to "stick up for yourselves" when people place DC in the South. It's not an insult.
I don't consider it as an insult. It's just that we don't align with it. I prefer not being aligned with North or South. I like Mid-Atlantic.

As far as pure geography is concerned, Cape May in New Jersey in due East of DC, not north of it. I wonder how people digest that tidbit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City