Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more entertaining?
DC 14 10.29%
Atlanta 23 16.91%
Miami 30 22.06%
Houston. 7 5.15%
Dallas 8 5.88%
Austin 8 5.88%
New Orleans 24 17.65%
Charlotte 4 2.94%
Tampa 0 0%
Orlando 4 2.94%
Nashville 14 10.29%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 04:59 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TasteofSourCherry View Post
I never said it was, but neither is DC.

I said they were about equal.

It would take you at least 2, if not 3 days to travel the Potomac on a motor boat. Even for the small percentage of residents who own a boat - they would not be capable of that. The people who do such a thing are sailing enthusiasts.

But, actually, you're a DC resident, do you own a boat? Do you know anyone who owns a boat? How close are they in relation to you?

**I added this later**
I'm sure some people won't like this, but, I have to quantify this. My Masters was in Physics.

I went on CL for both Orlando and DC and typed in "boat."

Orlando had 1,796 listings for sale by owner (https://orlando.craigslist.org/search/boa)
DC had only 497 (https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/search/boo)
I live in Central PG County, about 20 mins from the Potomac river and 20-25 mins from the Chesapeake Bay. So I personally don’t live on the water.

Yes I can at least 4 people or families I know that either own or have owned a boat in this area. People own boats in Southern PG along the water, on the opposite side in Virginia, DC and out on the Bay. If you ever fly into BWI you will see the homes by the water with docks and boats next to them. I’m not sure where you get the impression that this is anomaly around here.

Old 05-21-2018, 05:12 PM

122 posts, read 91,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I live in Central PG County, about 20 mins from the Potomac river and 20-25 mins from the Chesapeake Bay. So I personally don’t live on the water.

Yes I can at least 4 people or families I know that either own or have owned a boat in this area. People own boats in Southern PG along the water, on the opposite side in Virginia, DC and out on the Bay. If you ever fly into BWI you will see the homes by the water with docks and boats next to them. I’m not sure where you get the impression that this is anomaly around here.
Ok let's push this aside, we beat it to death. Let's go back to how this started - daytime activities in Miami vs DC.

So we agree that Miami gets water activities, and DC gets museums, attractions, and parks, and I'd add high culture. What else does DC have during the day that one cannot do in the Miami? Miami has a huge spa/hotel/pool scene as well.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:14 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,025 times
Quote:
Your just way off with what you accept as being a water based city. Orlando, FL is not a water based city, and it is not more water activities to do there than DC. It is simply a sprawling flat metro with a bunch of man made lakes. DC is an actual coastal city with multiple waterfronts that you can boat to without stepping on land. You also could essentially by boat go from Downtown Washington DC to the Atlantic Ocean.

DC which has recently been building at a rapid pace along its waterfront, and is now ready implement the Potomac River as an alternative mode of transport for the region. Because of the multiple waterfronts and piers you are now able to connect and travel MD, VA, to DC via boat, this is totally unlike anything and Orlando. Like I said it's no comparison to the bunch of ponds surrounding Orlando.

https://wtop.com/dc/2016/11/develope...rvice/slide/3/
DC being boss as always. It’s a shame someone is putting Orlando and Boss DC is the same sentence!

Old 05-21-2018, 06:48 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,683,919 times
Only one city on this list has class VI rapids and tidal water.

Orlando has manmade lakes. So does the DMV. Perhaps DC has fewer boats for sale because people are actually using them?

The DMV has hiking and mountain biking, on actual hills and mountains.

I’d put Miami as the more exciting place to vacation, Washington the more exciting place to live.

The other cities, while very nice places to live and visit, I wouldn’t call exciting. NOLA is by far the most evocative IMO.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Ok let's push this aside, we beat it to death. Let's go back to how this started - daytime activities in Miami vs DC.

So we agree that Miami gets water activities, and DC gets museums, attractions, and parks, and I'd add high culture. What else does DC have during the day that one cannot do in the Miami? Miami has a huge spa/hotel/pool scene as well.
I'll put it this way, because for one I should be gone from the thread by now based on my disagreement with DC even being a part of it.

I would only choose to live in 3 of these cities or metro areas. DC/Miami/ATL.

I actually have lived in DC, ATL, and Orlando metro areas, the latter for school.

None of the other cities here come close to interesting me in living there, meaning although they may have exciting things to do. I would not jump up and choose to live there for any given reason. Texas is just not my cup of tea, and I prefer the "coasts" meaning East or West.

Whether it's day activities or night life I only see Washington DC, Miami, and Atlanta as interesting enough each for there own separate reasons that I would live there. I understand how big Dallas and Houston are so there is stuff going on, but would only visit there not live. So if we're talking excitement in terms of keeping me wanting more I'd put Miami and DC on a similar tier, but for obvious different reasons.

New Orleans I have as the #2 night life city on this list however.

Last edited by the resident09; 05-21-2018 at 07:42 PM..

Old 05-21-2018, 07:44 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
As a resident of PG County, those are more general Black American traditions which have Southern Influences, but that doesn't make the county southern. The accent here isn't all that Southern, the pace of life isn't southern, and most natives of PG/DC don't really consider themselves southern and a lot of them crack on my southern accent. Also, its NOVA that has more sunbeltish patterns of growth, while the Maryland suburbs area a lot more traditionally Northeastern in their growth patterns. I'll concede that elements of the South are here, but the area overall is way too transitional to say that the area is totally southern, no matter how many anecdotes you've heard from your friends. It's not just DC posters who are arguing whether or not DC should be considered "Southern." Hell, southerners don't even really consider it a southern city. This is why I and many DCers consider it the Mid-Atlantic because there are way too many elements of both regions to really consider DC the "South"
But you don't see this type of outcry from DMV residents when DC is included in a poll with Northern cities. Deep down, I really do think that many consider it an insult to be grouped with other Southern cities although no one will admit it (and I'm not saying this is true of you, but generally speaking).

Old 05-21-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
DC metro touches the Chesapeake Bay, not the wide open ocean. You cannot really call those strips of waterfront beaches. As you said people go to Virginia Beach for a reason. Miami is located on the Bay, not just exurbs of it touch the Bay, but the city itself is is built along it. From DT Miami to the beach in SoBe takes 10-15 minutes by car. From the highrises in DT in Miami, you can even see across the Bay and SoBE, and see the atlantic ocean.

You're arguing for the sake of argument. The DC metro does not touch the wide open ocean, and only a corner of it touches the Chesapeake. I would not call strips of land along the Chesapeake to be 'beaches.' This is some extreme stretching.
But they are indeed real beaches. You sound as silly as Westerners who say the Appalachians aren't "real mountains."

Old 05-21-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
But you don't see this type of outcry from DMV residents when DC is included in a poll with Northern cities. Deep down, I really do think that many consider it an insult to be grouped with other Southern cities although no one will admit it (and I'm not saying this is true of you, but generally speaking).
It's Mid-Atlantic. However there was an earlier post with all the links posted. In today's business world, commerce etc. The DC region is almost always added with the Northeast, even if we just want to be considered Mid-Atlantic. Every place I've worked etc that had a regional break down included DC as a part of the Northeast region.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
It's Mid-Atlantic. However there was an earlier post with all the links posted. In today's business world, commerce etc. The DC region is almost always added with the Northeast, even if we just want to be considered Mid-Atlantic. Every place I've worked etc that had a regional break down included DC as a part of the Northeast region.
With no accompanied outcry. I get why, but again, some consider a categorization with the South to be insulting although they won't admit it.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:31 PM

5,820 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is obviously what it is. There is a stigma online DC has with the South; online DC also looks up to the traditional Northeast, and as you noted there is no concerted effort to distance themselves from the Northeast...

This has repeated itself to exhaustion over my years on this forum. What makes it more amusing is that when conversations like this pop up with Districters in real life, it doesn't illicit these kind of responses. I can't be the only person who knows this...

It's been said time and again: no, most DC residents don't view themselves as southerners. On the flipside, there are some very distinct and noticeable characteristics that seperate DC from the traditional Northeast cities; They have been covered and repeated ad nauseum, so this denial that any southernisms exist in DC is blatant ignorance...

I consider DC as part of the Northeast and the South. If I had to pick one, if pick Northeast, but you know what's so beautiful about this? I don't have to pick one, nobody's life is dependent on it. It's both at the same time, but in the present time it's more northern leaning. Now, I also think it's foolish to consider DC northern but not Richmond, because if you remove the Confederate rhetoric, very little seperate the two cities besides large city/smaller city differences...

But all of these subtopics of DC's cultural identification have been beaten to death, literally 1000 times. Instead of just keeping to the topic of the thread, once again the DC contingent (And really it's the same 4 or 5 guys coming to save the day every time and have been ruining topics for years) rushes to derail a thread. My god, you'd think these guys make a living off of this lol...

For the love of everything rational, please shut this damn thread down. Our wonderful moderators have shut threads down for less; this has gotten very bad. And put DC on that probation y'all had Cleveland on a few years ago, the next time these guys pull this crap (and it'll be soon)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City