Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more entertaining?
DC 14 10.29%
Atlanta 23 16.91%
Miami 30 22.06%
Houston. 7 5.15%
Dallas 8 5.88%
Austin 8 5.88%
New Orleans 24 17.65%
Charlotte 4 2.94%
Tampa 0 0%
Orlando 4 2.94%
Nashville 14 10.29%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 04:39 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I thought the article was very shady toward Atlanta when I read it. This thread was retarded to begin with so I thought...why not...throw a grenade in it...lol.

In response to what you said, DC is definitely trying to shake the reputation of being stuck up. DC is a very educated, powerful city with an over abundance of high paying, white collar jobs. I think that is where the reputation comes from. Entertainment jobs and pop culture is usually the criteria most closely associated with cool. DC just started entering that forum within the last decade. It’s going to take awhile to shake the reputation.
I lived in DC for about a year. I found it to be a pretty polarizing place. That kind of place where you either loved or hated it. I found most aspects of the city and surrounded area were either overrated or underrated:

Things I thought about DC that were underrated:

-Natural Beauty. I love Northern Virginia and used to go hiking out near Fort Royal which was a great day trip. So many beautiful and lush hills and the beach is close by too.
-The Culture. I thought the fine arts scene was quite enjoyable.
-The diversity. Outside of NYC and LA, its arguably the most multicultural metro area in the US going toe-to-toe with the Bay Area.

Things about DC that I thought were overrated:

-The food. As a foodie, this was the big one. Honestly, just didnt feel it was as exciting of a place to eat as other cities Ive lived in (Houston, LA, and Chicago).
-Nightlife. I had a real hard time fitting in with the people. It definitely is not a "come as you are" kind of place. To be fair, this category is subjective so I can see disagreement here. However, the Jack Rose Saloon is, hands down, the best whiskey bar Ive ever been to.

Things I expected out of DC:

-The History and museums. Very amazing and very fulfilling.
-The attitude. This however, was different from DC to NOVA. I found the people in parts of NOVA wonderful. DC, not so much.

Old 05-09-2018, 05:43 PM

5,825 posts, read 5,632,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revitalizer View Post
I'm not letting anything go. lol. I'm not pretending anything. lol

Most people from the actual South that I've come in contact with don't refer DC as being Southern. Even the Richmond folks to our South make a distinction.

We DMV folks yell it down because we don't view ourselves as Southern. It's as simple as that. There is nothing ridiculous about that. Is that hard to grasp?

I'm in this one for the long haul. Bring it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by revitalizer View Post
I'm not sure about "nobody". I was presented with exactly that from someone I met when I was there 3 weeks ago.
I don't believe you, and at any rate, I'm a former Richmonder who knows the city and its people well, so for every one person you 'claim' thinks DC is up north, there are 2,000 examples of a Richmonder who doesn't...

Anyway, I have nothing more to contribute to this topic or this geographical debate on DC that you guys so thoroughly enjoy. Peace...

Old 05-09-2018, 08:19 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
I lived in DC for about a year. I found it to be a pretty polarizing place. That kind of place where you either loved or hated it. I found most aspects of the city and surrounded area were either overrated or underrated:

Things I thought about DC that were underrated:

-Natural Beauty. I love Northern Virginia and used to go hiking out near Fort Royal which was a great day trip. So many beautiful and lush hills and the beach is close by too.
-The Culture. I thought the fine arts scene was quite enjoyable.
-The diversity. Outside of NYC and LA, its arguably the most multicultural metro area in the US going toe-to-toe with the Bay Area.

Things about DC that I thought were overrated:

-The food. As a foodie, this was the big one. Honestly, just didnt feel it was as exciting of a place to eat as other cities Ive lived in (Houston, LA, and Chicago).
-Nightlife. I had a real hard time fitting in with the people. It definitely is not a "come as you are" kind of place. To be fair, this category is subjective so I can see disagreement here. However, the Jack Rose Saloon is, hands down, the best whiskey bar Ive ever been to.

Things I expected out of DC:

-The History and museums. Very amazing and very fulfilling.
-The attitude. This however, was different from DC to NOVA. I found the people in parts of NOVA wonderful. DC, not so much.
What year did you live in DC?

Old 05-09-2018, 11:04 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
TRUE FACT: The new HBO series “Brooklyn” is being shot in ... ATLANTA!

Old 05-10-2018, 05:09 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Right. It was only started so the OP could prop up Atlanta again as usual, made a shady remark about DC and it backfired. Atlanta is fine for what it is, but it's nowhere near as exciting as Miami. It is what is is.
I'm talking about the whole DC being Southern or not thing.

Old 05-10-2018, 05:26 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,219,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm talking about the whole DC being Southern or not thing.
That went without saying. Adding DC in this was going to kill the thread anyhow.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:30 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Miami and New Orleans.

DC is not a part of the South, besides a Census designation. The OP knows that. It is a part of the Mid-Atlantic/ Northeast Corridor of the United States. It also is more vibrant and exciting overall than a number of cities on this list IMO.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Miami and New Orleans.

DC is not a part of the South, besides a Census designation. The OP knows that. It is a part of the Mid-Atlantic/ Northeast Corridor of the United States. It also is more vibrant and exciting overall than a number of cities on this list IMO.
Vibrancy and pedestrian traffic is very important for a city to be labeled exciting. DC is a gateway city and member of the big 6. DC was at the bottom of the big 6 in the past, but is rising faster than any of the 6 cities. When people talk about Miami being exciting, they’re usually talking about the city of Miami Beach. When people talk about Las Vegas being exciting, they’re usually talking about the Strip. When people talk about New Orleans being exciting, they’re usually talking about the French Quarter. These areas are built dense like the big 6 with a lot of pedestrian traffic 24/7 with entertainment and bars etc.

The major distinction between these areas in New Orleans, Las Vegas, and Miami is that those areas in these cities are the only areas that can be compared to NYC, DC, Chicago, SF, etc. The big 6 are vibrant and busy all over their cities. When it comes to excitement, people are looking for different things. Some people like bars, some like clubs, some like plays and concerts, some like to eat, some like to visit museums, some like to shop, and some people like a very busy vibrant city with people watching. Not a single city on this list offers everything just listed except the big 6.

Yes, these cities have a small area in their city, or just outside of it, that is an international draw, however, they don’t offer the vibrant citywide urban experience needed to make living in a city exciting. Again, if vibrancy isn’t important to someone, then they probably wouldn’t understand this reference which is why this will always be subjective. These cities are great to visit to spend time in the small areas mentioned earlier, but outside of those areas, these cities are dead with very low pedestrian traffic.

Now, this thread is talking about industry parties and events which is only exciting to a segment of the population and probably also racially specific to African Americans being Atlanta. Of the big 6, NYC and now DC of 2018 are probably the only cities that offer something for everyone whether White, Black, Asian, or Hispanic. Whether you like cultural institutions or museums. Whether you like theater or live music. Whether you like to eat at Michelin rated restaurants or walk around people watching. Neither Atlanta or Miami come close to DC when it comes to offering something for everyone.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 05-10-2018 at 08:31 AM..

Old 05-10-2018, 08:23 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I thought the article was very shady toward Atlanta when I read it.
I'd agree. For the writer to continually make mention of Atlanta along with Buffalo and Kansas City in contrast to DC was definitely a jab. Although DC is obviously wealthier and more urban, Atlanta is certainly more like DC than it is Buffalo or Kansas City and has been undergoing its own renaissance. But the article just comes across as trying way too hard.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'd agree. For the writer to continually make mention of Atlanta along with Buffalo and Kansas City in contrast to DC was definitely a jab. Although DC is obviously wealthier and more urban, Atlanta is certainly more like DC than it is Buffalo or Kansas City and has been undergoing its own renaissance. But the article just comes across as trying way too hard.
I definitely agree with you. I was taken back at that comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City