Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The best City to relocate for tech jobs
Fort Lauderdale 0 0%
Austin 21 77.78%
Houston 0 0%
San Diego 4 14.81%
Miami 2 7.41%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 02:34 PM

9 posts, read 6,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
For sheer numbers, out of that list, Houston will probably have the most consistent openings in .NET. In Houston you can find .NET used in the big Banks, Oil/gas, aerospace, medical, city services, shipping, etc. The jobs will be centered on mostly support roles (i.e. create/maintain software that is not meant to be a product for public consumption). In terms of numbers, Houston has more programming openings than Austin, and I thought I once read that DFW typically has the most openings in the state. It's just the type of openings in Houston will be mostly software that supports an industry, whereas Austin will have more startups and software product and services type jobs. You also need to ask some Austin people what it's like living in Austin now days with the Cambrian explosion in population.
Appreciate the informative response, are you in the .NET field too ? The kind of work you described doesn't bother me as long as the career growth opportunities are there. As from a work stand point that's typically what my role is right now, building products that support a particular industry such as medical/public sector etc.

I would assume growth opportunities may be more in Austin since it's more tech centered rather than support. Since I've never been in such a space as very few places offer that kind of startup tech environment such as the Bay Area, it's something that interests me.

The corporate environment in Houston/Dallas is fine by me as well as that could lead in to some other positions which I'm open to.Then it just comes down to from a living perspective which would be a better fit. I guess that's something I'm trying to figure out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 02:45 PM

72 posts, read 60,327 times
I'm a .NET/SQL Server developer in DFW and the job market here is very strong. Close to 7.5 million people here and pretty diverse economy. Maybe less tech companies here than Austin but I believe more software development jobs because of overall larger economy (more business app development versus embedded systems, software development companies). I've worked with lot of people from PA and the northeast in general. In my small company there are 12 languages spoken so I would consider it very diverse. Also in my suburb of Plano there are 50,000 Asians. Anyway out of your list of cities I really like San Diego but the $750,000k for the fixer upper house does not appeal to me at all. Plus if I'm moving to CA it will be in Napa where I can visit at a different vineyard and winery each week :-). Best of luck wherever you end up!

Old 05-12-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinsTower18 View Post
I'm a .NET/SQL Server developer in DFW and the job market here is very strong. Close to 7.5 million people here and pretty diverse economy. Maybe less tech companies here than Austin but I believe more software development jobs because of overall larger economy (more business app development versus embedded systems, software development companies). I've worked with lot of people from PA and the northeast in general. In my small company there are 12 languages spoken so I would consider it very diverse. Also in my suburb of Plano there are 50,000 Asians. Anyway out of your list of cities I really like San Diego but the $750,000k for the fixer upper house does not appeal to me at all. Plus if I'm moving to CA it will be in Napa where I can visit at a different vineyard and winery each week :-). Best of luck wherever you end up!
Thanks for your response , yeah that's basically my line of work. Any recruiters in the TX area that you would recommend ?

Old 05-12-2018, 03:36 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchapo View Post
Appreciate the informative response, are you in the .NET field too ? The kind of work you described doesn't bother me as long as the career growth opportunities are there. As from a work stand point that's typically what my role is right now, building products that support a particular industry such as medical/public sector etc.

I would assume growth opportunities may be more in Austin since it's more tech centered rather than support. Since I've never been in such a space as very few places offer that kind of startup tech environment such as the Bay Area, it's something that interests me.

The corporate environment in Houston/Dallas is fine by me as well as that could lead in to some other positions which I'm open to.Then it just comes down to from a living perspective which would be a better fit. I guess that's something I'm trying to figure out.
Yes I work at a college. The ERP software that the college uses has gone full bore .NET, and it is a pretty big ERP company. Big enough to have Steve Wozniak and Jill Biden as guest speakers at their annual conferences. I used to work in aerospace and they clung hard to Unix/Linux for years and years, but finally gave in to Windows and .NET. There is even a .NET boot camp about 15 miles from where I work, and it was one of the first boot camps ever. .NET is pretty well entrenched in Texas. And from my limited research I second DFW as a place to include, and it's possibly the best bang-for-your-buck in the state. At one time I was looking at Plano because it is home to several nationwide corporate headquarters. Strong economy there, and I think Richardson is full of telecommunication companies as well.

Old 05-12-2018, 06:08 PM

754 posts, read 569,929 times
I voted Austin, it has a good tech market & I think it's the best out of these

I definitely agree that Dallas should be in consideration. Also Atlanta & Raleigh wouldn't be bad options either.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:20 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,701,240 times
Of your list, definitely Austin, followed by Atlanta.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:06 PM

Appreciate all the responses, so from what I've gathered is that Austin wins unanimously. Cities that I should strongly consider are Dallas, Atlanta, Raleigh.

I've seen some votes for Miami and San Diego, but overall it looks like the general sentiment is Austin followed by Dallas/Houston, Atlanta and Raleigh.

Do you guys by any chance know of recruiters in the mentioned areas that I could approach to commence the job search ?

Old 05-14-2018, 11:25 AM

1,608 posts, read 3,076,536 times
San Diego has a great tech job scene...

San Diego tech companies can't fill thousands of jobs - The San Diego Union-Tribune
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City