Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 08:49 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,625,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TasteofSourCherry View Post
If you're going to visit one or two cities - chances are you will go to the biggest and most famous cities. Which will explain why the coastal cities - especially NYC, LA, Miami, San Francisco, DC - have the lion share of the visitors.

To my point, then you miss Chicago, New Orleans, other interior cities. It's true that many Europeans and Asians visit the periphery locations because it's logistically easier, less costly and coastal cities are traditionally more well-known (frankly due in part to the two former reasons). It's also myopic and unfortunate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 08:53 AM

122 posts, read 91,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
To my point, then you miss Chicago, New Orleans, other interior cities. It's true that many Europeans and Asians visit the periphery locations because it's logistically easier, less costly and coastal cities are traditionally more well-known (frankly due in part to the two former reasons). It's also myopic and unfortunate.
Well, does New Orleans officially count as a "interior city"? Not to quibble.

Unless they visit every single city in the USA they will be forced to visit something and forego something else. I'm sure if the contest is between NYC and Chicago - 99% will pick NYC, and can you blame them?

Old 05-17-2018, 09:02 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,883,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Ditto Denver. Plus, lots of people come from abroad to ski in Colorado, I'm kind of surprised Denver didn't make the list anyway.
I have a hunch this list doesn't differentiate between business and leisure travel. I highly doubt a half million foreigners went to Dallas to see Dealey Plaza, NorthPark Mall, and Southfork Ranch.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:23 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,625,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TasteofSourCherry View Post
Well, does New Orleans officially count as a "interior city"? Not to quibble.

Unless they visit every single city in the USA they will be forced to visit something and forego something else. I'm sure if the contest is between NYC and Chicago - 99% will pick NYC, and can you blame them?
No, I agree NYC is the most interesting city in the U.S. and I would suggest it be at the top of nearly any agenda for an overseas traveler. However, one could argue-- because it's not a coastal city and perhaps less top-of-mind, more expensive to get to (though, really, is a ore expensive destination overall?) and logisticall challenging (though again, I would challenge this. O'Hare gets you to more European hubs than many coastal cities) -- Chicago is overlooked, but should be higher on the list than traditional coastal cities. It can most certainly make a strong argument.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:28 AM

122 posts, read 91,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
No, I agree NYC is the most interesting city in the U.S. and I would suggest it be at the top of nearly any agenda for an overseas traveler. However, one could argue-- because it's not a coastal city and perhaps less top-of-mind, more expensive to get to (though, really, is a ore expensive destination overall?) and logisticall challenging (though again, I would challenge this. O'Hare gets you to more European hubs than many coastal cities) -- Chicago is overlooked, but should be higher on the list than traditional coastal cities. It can most certainly make a strong argument.
Chicago is doing very well on the list (#10). Obviously the higher showings like Miami (beaches, partying), LA (Hollywood, beaches), Orlando (amusement parks), Las Vegas (gambling, partying), Honolulu (beaches, natural beauty) are there for other reasons than traditional desire to see and explore a very urban city.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:12 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,678,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Ditto Denver. Plus, lots of people come from abroad to ski in Colorado, I'm kind of surprised Denver didn't make the list anyway.
Can you define a lot? I find it hard to believe Europeans are flocking to CO for skiing when it's much easier to get to someplace within Europe. And while I'm not certain, I don't think Asians, Africans and South Americans are huge skiiers (maybe Japanese, Chileans and Argentines and again, they likely have easy access in their own countries).

Old 05-17-2018, 08:38 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
Denver has pretty minimal international air connections despite a few recent additions.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Can you define a lot? I find it hard to believe Europeans are flocking to CO for skiing when it's much easier to get to someplace within Europe. And while I'm not certain, I don't think Asians, Africans and South Americans are huge skiiers (maybe Japanese, Chileans and Argentines and again, they likely have easy access in their own countries).
A lot of Mexicans come to CO to ski, but they don't count in this ranking. We also get a lot of skiers from Australia.
https://www.chalets-usa.co.uk/travel...d-clients.html

Old 05-19-2018, 01:19 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
A little more than 20 percent: You left out Orlando, the #2 Florida destination after Miami.
Rest assured, neither Orlando nor Tampa were forgotten about on my end.

The reason I didn't mention them is because they aren't "South Florida" so ultimately they didn't have any purpose to be in my statement.

That being said, Florida has 7 out of 25, the most representation of any state on the overall list. That's impressive and quite clear to me that the entire state doesn't take a backseat to anywhere else when it comes to tourism. That's good, now Florida should work on building up its corporate portfolio and attracting higher wage knowledge industries (well more of it than what it currently has now). If it can successfully manage to do that, then it'll really be rolling along.

Old 05-19-2018, 01:29 PM

14,164 posts, read 9,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
Rest assured, neither Orlando nor Tampa were forgotten about on my end.

The reason I didn't mention them is because they aren't "South Florida" so ultimately they didn't have any purpose to be in my statement.

That being said, Florida has 7 out of 25, the most representation of any state on the overall list. That's impressive and quite clear to me that the entire state doesn't take a backseat to anywhere else when it comes to tourism. That's good, now Florida should work on building up its corporate portfolio and attracting higher wage knowledge industries. If it can successfully manage to do that, then it'll really be rolling along.
Just hope the sea level rise doesn't swamp the coast.

Those are very impressive stats. But I thought Miami was already the capital of the Caribbean, so to speak.

I do find it interesting that Tampa and Philly are tied for international visitors. I understand Orlando's draw, but I'd always thought of the Tampa Bay area as appealing more to older folks.

And while I know my fellow Philadelphians would love to see that number a lot higher, there is this: Independence Hall may be a UNESCO World Heritage Site and the locus of one of the most momentous developments in world political history, but the events that took place there are, for better or worse, of more inherent interest to Americans than to citizens of other countries, including the UK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City