Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 12:13 PM

138 posts, read 168,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
On the flip side, if you’re coming from Paris, London, Japan, Spain, Italy, etc there may not be anything particularly urban or interesting about Chicago.

This is plain silly and very naive. I see you're from L.A...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 12:14 PM

48 posts, read 42,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatedPenguin View Post
California's beaches seem to get a better rep than eastern beaches. They are great for surfing, there is less sharks, and they are more scenic overall with cliffs, rocks etc.

People on city data over estimate how important "urban life" is to tourists. Chicago just doesn't have the pull that LA does overseas.
Nor, would anyone expect it to. Aside from NYC, though, Chicago is the top inland destination that isn't a warm weather destination, on the ocean, gambling, historical, or Disney related.

Old 05-20-2018, 12:22 PM

48 posts, read 70,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TasteofSourCherry View Post
I've known a lot of tourists come to SoCal and I honestly don't remember anyone of them sing the praises of the beaches there. Speaking for LA specifically, most of the beaches there aren't particularly scenic (unless you're in Malibu) but irregardless the water is freezing and dirty/not clear.

What do you mean by EC beaches? Most tourists to NYC don't even partake in the beaches there since NYC is not known for them. Florida is known for beaches, and they're a lot nicer than the ones in California. Not as rocky or 'scenic' but the water is a lot nicer and they're actually usable.
People like Florida beaches for splish splashing, but no one into the beach sport scene would choose a Florida beach over a California one. The surfing scenes are just not comparable. And yes they are colder, but to the point of being unusable? That is a stretch.

Old 05-20-2018, 12:35 PM

122 posts, read 91,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatedPenguin View Post
People like Florida beaches for splish splashing, but no one into the beach sport scene would choose a Florida beach over a California one. The surfing scenes are just not comparable. And yes they are colder, but to the point of being unusable? That is a stretch.
For swimming. I used to wake up at 5-7am and swim with the rising sun when I lived in Miami Beach. I also lived up and down SoCal Beaches from Venice to Manhattan to Newport to Ocean (San Diego).

I don't know what you mean by "Beach sport scene." Both had volleyball courts and even outdoor gyms near or on the beach. The difference is how much you spend in the water, and if you live in Florida chances are you will spend a lot more in the water.

The only beach scene in the USA I find better than Florida's is Hawaii's.

Old 05-20-2018, 12:40 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,893,604 times
Quote:
I disagree. While Chicago won't captivate the interest NYC will, it's still a city with a lot of skyscrapers and fairly clean and walkable. Outside NYC, it's America's second urban city. Most visitors I have known that went to Chicago were fairly impressed - even if they came from Europe or Asia.

LA seems to be the city that polarizes most tourists. Some hate it, some love it. It just seems to boil down to how well they navigate LA's car centric lifestyle. Also, how interested they were in the beach. Most people simply don't realize that the beaches in LA are freezing and nothing too special.
So true, once you get to see all that LA has to offer, it's hard to not fall in love, but you really have to know how to navigate the expansiveness of it efficiently.

I meet so many tourists from europe on a daily basis, and they all seem to be singing the praises of SoCal.

Imagine visiting a country for the first time, and you visit a large city, but as soon as you leave the city limits there's nothing worth while. Don't think a city like this would be my first choice if visiting a country for first time.

America has so much more to offer than just the cities we have here, if I were visiting I would look for dynamic places with diversity in it's offerings.

Old 05-20-2018, 01:03 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
So true, once you get to see all that LA has to offer, it's hard to not fall in love, but you really have to know how to navigate the expansiveness of it efficiently.

I meet so many tourists from europe on a daily basis, and they all seem to be singing the praises of SoCal.

Imagine visiting a country for the first time, and you visit a large city, but as soon as you leave the city limits there's nothing worth while. Don't think a city like this would be my first choice if visiting a country for first time.

America has so much more to offer than just the cities we have here, if I were visiting I would look for dynamic places with diversity in it's offerings.
I'll give LA this: It's more urbane than its image in the popular imagination makes it out to be.

But my general impression of the place can be summed up by a quip Lily Tomlin made about life in general on her 1978 comedy album "Modern Scream":

"It's funny, but perverse, because it can be beautiful but it won't."

Old 05-20-2018, 01:16 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
Trains will help LA's city-related tourism a lot. Finally you can do a lot of the best stuff without a rental car or figuring out the bus system.

When I visit a city I'm used to taking the train from airport to a hotel on the downtown fringe, then walking to most places. I can handle a ton of walking. But DTLA to Hollywood and back was a bit much on my last visit (realizing transit existed), and the beach was just too hard to get to, before Santa Monica's extension a few months later.

Old 05-20-2018, 03:36 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,874,151 times
The beaches/communities along the coast of L.A are interesting,fun and picturesque and yes the water is cold,but when it's summer it's very refreshing to swim in and then come back out if your too cold and to warm up on the sand,and if your bored at the beach their are still still so many other things to see and do all around the L.A Region..Remember besides the entertainment and attractions within the city,you also have the Mountains and Deserts to enjoy as well if your into outdoor activities.

Many people also don't mind just walking along the beach,or sun bathing,bike riding or just sitting down at the beach and people watching or just watching the sunsets,sunrise or the clouds.

L.A is truly a fun and exciting place for all ages and types to enjoy and also has better weather to go along with it as well...The entertainment and attractions of L.A continues to grow as more new things continue to open up.

Quote:
LA seems to be the city that polarizes most tourists. Some hate it, some love it. It just seems to boil down to how well they navigate LA's car centric lifestyle. Also, how interested they were in the beach. Most people simply don't realize that the beaches in LA are freezing and nothing too special.

Old 05-20-2018, 03:37 PM

122 posts, read 91,702 times
When it comes to visiting LA it really helps to stay in a couple different places. LA is like several cities sandwiched together.

Stay 2-3 nights in Santa Monica (my favorite), 2-3 nights in Venice Beach, 2-3 nights in Hollywood, and possibly 2-3 nights in DT (if you really wanted too, I don't see the point). If you want to go to Disneyland, then stay a couple nights somewhere in the OC.

If you park yourself in one area I'd strongly recommend either Santa Monica or Hollywood depending on what you want to do.

Old 05-20-2018, 04:01 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whywontthisjustwork View Post
This is plain silly and very naive. I see you're from L.A...lol
Ok. Then how do you explain the lack of interest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City