Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 03:36 PM

13,732 posts, read 15,795,075 times

Advertisements

This is a battle of natural parks within city limits between DC, Boston, Baltimore, SF, and Seattle. These cities are all pretty close in size and they all have incredible natural beauty. Which city has the best natural parks within city limits using the following criteria:

-amount of parks
-park size (land area)
-flowers
-trees
-lakes
-ponds
-rivers
-access

My vote goes to D.C. for:

-Rock Creek Park
-National Arboretum
-Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens
-East Potomac Park
-Kingman and Heritage Island Park
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 10:01 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,830,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
This is a battle of natural parks within city limits between DC, Boston, Baltimore, SF, and Seattle. These cities are all pretty close in size and they all have incredible natural beauty. Which city has the best natural parks within city limits using the following criteria:

-amount of parks
-park size (land area)
-flowers
-trees
-lakes
-ponds
-rivers
-access

-Rock Creek Park
-National Arboretum
-East Potomac Park
You forgot Theodore Roosevelt Island, Constitution Gardens, and the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal Trail.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:51 PM

9,174 posts, read 13,273,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post

-amount of parks
-park size (land area)
-flowers
-trees
-lakes
-ponds
-rivers
-access

-Rock Creek Park
-National Arboretum
-East Potomac Park
My first vote would be for Washington. I am amazed how much greenery there is around there. Plus the parks are beautiful.

My next pick would probably be San Francisco. I was looking at photos of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area which is actually along the Pacific coastline of San Francisco, and I must say it looks beautiful. Plus there is also Golden Gate Park.

The Boston park system is rather on the small side but it is well cared for, including several gardens/arboretums. And the history buff in me loves the Boston Common, including several cemeteries in there.

I am not sure about the Seattle or Baltimore park systems so I will leave them out.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:35 PM

8,884 posts, read 6,907,183 times
Seattle doesn't do well. We have good parks but not big ones, and we lack green space in the center.

Old 05-19-2018, 06:58 AM

14,234 posts, read 9,123,018 times
Of those on your list, Washington by a mile.

Oh, and you left the Great Falls of the Potomac off your list too. (Or are those outside the District boundary?)

But I think you left an even better city of similar size off it. I'd say it has the best urban wilds in the northeastern United States. I'll let you figure out which one I'm talking about.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:29 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,192,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Of those on your list, Washington by a mile.

Oh, and you left the Great Falls of the Potomac off your list too. (Or are those outside the District boundary?)

But I think you left an even better city of similar size off it. I'd say it has the best urban wilds in the northeastern United States. I'll let you figure out which one I'm talking about.
I didn't know that there was another city left off the list in the 600,000 to 900,000 city proper range (OP's similar sized cites criteria) that is in the northeast

Old 05-19-2018, 08:53 AM

14,234 posts, read 9,123,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
I didn't know that there was another city left off the list in the 600,000 to 900,000 city proper range (OP's similar sized cites criteria) that is in the northeast
Okay, missed that - the city in question has 600,000 more people than the top cutoff.

I was thinking in metro terms.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:07 AM

14,038 posts, read 15,064,782 times
Do the Boston Harbor Islands count? They are not municipal parks but a park within city limits and are amazing.

Also if you could the Blue Hills and Middlesex Fells Reservations just beyond City Limits (would be in Boston if the city was as Big as D.C. Or Seattle Boston wins hands down.

Old 05-19-2018, 01:22 PM

8,884 posts, read 6,907,183 times
While I dissed my own city, I will put a plug in for waterfront parks. A single acre can go a long way when there's a huge open space in front of you.

Ravines can also go a long way...those small moments where you can forget you're in a city.

Old 05-22-2018, 05:42 AM

13,732 posts, read 15,795,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Do the Boston Harbor Islands count? They are not municipal parks but a park within city limits and are amazing.

Also if you could the Blue Hills and Middlesex Fells Reservations just beyond City Limits (would be in Boston if the city was as Big as D.C. Or Seattle Boston wins hands down.
Could you post some google street view links of all the areas you’re talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City