Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite French designed city
Washington D.C 38 36.19%
Montreal 55 52.38%
New Orleans 12 11.43%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 06:41 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,329,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
1. Downtown: Montreal
2. Walkability: DC
3. Economy: DC
4. Nightlife: New Orleans - DC
5. Bars/Restaurants: New Orleans - DC
6. Suburbs: DC
7. Weather: New Orleans
8. Recreational activities: DC
9. Green Space: DC

10. Monuments./Museums: DC
11. Transportation Car/Public: DC
12. Where would you rather live? DC

Would rather live in DC, it just fits me more personally, culturally speaking; it's like living in Atlanta.
Have you been to Montreal??

Montreal nightlife is easily among the top cities in North America.

Recreation and green space, I again do not see how DC wins this category against Montreal...

Public transportation in Montreal is superior to that of most American cities. Not to mention the entire network of underground tunnels beneath the entire downtown.

DC might be a more powerful city (and def the suburbs), but Montreal excels in many categories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 08:46 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,914,958 times
Quote:
1. Downtown: Montreal
2. Walkability: DC
3. Economy: DC
4. Nightlife: New Orleans - DC
5. Bars/Restaurants: New Orleans - DC

6. Suburbs: DC
7. Weather: New Orleans
8. Recreational activities: DC
9. Green Space: DC
10. Monuments./Museums: DC
11. Transportation Car/Public: DC
12. Where would you rather live? DC

Would rather live in DC, it just fits me more personally, culturally speaking; it's like living in Atlanta.
Either you've never been to Montreal, or you were **** drunk.

DC doesn't have a fighter's chance against Montreal in nightlife or bars/restaurants. That place is wild, and the food scene is crazy good. Not sure any of them match up in green space against Montreal either, but certainly not transit. I will say, DC's green space is pretty remarkable.

All that said, the people in Montreal are the dreaded. Give me two weekend nights up there and I am all set for the year.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:54 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,416,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Have you been to Montreal??

Montreal nightlife is easily among the top cities in North America.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Either you've never been to Montreal, or you were **** drunk.

DC doesn't have a fighter's chance against Montreal in nightlife or bars/restaurants. That place is wild, and the food scene is crazy good.
I’m sure Montreal nightlife is decent, but I’m not looking for decent, I’m looking for “Litiuation,” a cultural experience that prides itself on being care-free and unapologetic. I don’t want crazy, I want fun.

I don’t think Montreal can duplicate what DC has.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:38 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Really the only truly "French Designed" city of the three was Washington, as it was planned by Parisian Pierre L'Enfant. He also supervised the creation of Versailles and large swaths of 18th Century Paris ie Place de la Concorde, the Tuileries and the Champs Elysees.
Montreal has heavy French influence in its architecture, of course, but New Orleans' earliest architectural roots are in Spanish and Caribbean influence (the oldest street names were in Spanish). Public buildings like the Cabildo are decidedly French, however.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:47 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,329,574 times
Quote:
I’m sure Montreal nightlife is decent, but I’m not looking for decent, I’m looking for “Litiuation,” a cultural experience that prides itself on being care-free and unapologetic. I don’t want crazy, I want fun.

First question have you been to Montreal? It sounds like you haven't, and if that is the case you shouldn't talking about things you don't know.

Second, if you have, I don't quite understand your statement, could I have an example? DC nightlife is okay, but I haven't met anyone who visited Montreal and didn't have FUN when going out.

I think DC ranks average on the nightlife list among MAJOR American and Canadian cities, so they area at least tied when it comes to nightlife, as well as cuisine.

Old 06-21-2018, 05:21 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,156,636 times
Quote:

How would you compare Montreal nightlife to Birmingham, AL?

Old 06-21-2018, 08:37 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,654,446 times
Quote:

Judging from your comments, you've never been to Montreal. The nightlife here is fun, unique, crazy etc... It's a top nightlife spot not only in North America but in the world. Its care-free, unapologetic, high energy yet laid back. There are also dozens of nightlife areas in the city, secret spots, underground spots etc... It's possibly the most diverse in N.A/World once you know the right people.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:10 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,914,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
It's possibly the most diverse in N.A/World once you know the right people.
Eeeaaaassyyyyy now.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:14 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
It's not a slam dunk to the point where it pops up on all of them, but Montreal appears fairly regularly on top 10 and top 20 lists of the world's best nightlife cities.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:48 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,654,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Eeeaaaassyyyyy now.
As someone who's travelled/partied in multiple cities in the world, lived in Miami which is known as a nightlife mecca, I think I know what I'm talking about. In terms of activities, personal desires, cultural, etc... MTL is one of the most diverse scenes in N.A/World.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City