Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tucson, AZ vs. Las Vegas, NV vs. El Paso, TX vs. Lubbock, TX vs. San Antonio, TX
Tucson, AZ 13 13.83%
Las Vegas, NV 29 30.85%
El Paso, TX 11 11.70%
Lubbock, TX 4 4.26%
San Antonio, TX 37 39.36%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 01:18 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,895,500 times

Advertisements

Vegas for me earlier this year for the first time I actually explored places outside of the strip, and I've got to say Vagas is a really nice city with tons of scenery, and California is right down the road. This is what it looks like less than an hour outside of Vegas https://www.google.com/maps/@36.2633...7i13312!8i6656
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 06:25 PM

12 posts, read 10,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPueblo View Post
I just like Tucson a lot better than El Paso. El Paso is a boring city in the middle of nowhere, far from other big cities. Tucson is super close to Phoenix and close to California and Las Vegas.
You sound boring.
Trying to trash EL PASO is not going to make tucson better and it will not change the fact that tucson lives in the Shadow of phoenix.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:53 PM

5 posts, read 2,865 times
Shopping: Las Vegas (I personally don't do a ton of high-end shopping, but Vegas wins here by a mile)
Entertainment: Las Vegas (The Strip is better than anywhere else on this list)
Weather: San Antonio (None of the five are particularly appealing to me by this standard, so I'll just go with San Antonio because I dislike long rain droughts and it'd likely be the one of the five I'd most enjoy myself in)

Old 08-28-2018, 06:17 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,518,151 times
Las Vegas gets more tourists, but of the ones on the list in terms of best place to live, San Antonio hands down. Not even close.

Old 09-01-2018, 11:25 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPueblo View Post
I just like Tucson a lot better than El Paso. El Paso is a boring city in the middle of nowhere, far from other big cities. Tucson is super close to Phoenix and close to California and Las Vegas.
Face it, no matter what city you move to you're going to get bored with it eventually, and then? Where can I escape to within 2-3-4 hours of here? And if the city you pick is too from anywhere (Minneapolis/Denver) then you well better like that city.

San Antonio is a quick drive to Austin, and you can also zip on over to Corpus Christi. El Paso, well, I've done it, taken the bus to Chihuahua, not a bad city to escape to. Tucson? It's a long drive to San Diego, too long, and too long of a drive to Las Vegas (6-7 hours) but there's Phoenix, and if you go south you can take the bus out of Nogales and go to the ocean in Guayamas, San Carlos, a shorter distance than San Diego.

I just moved out of Las Vegas for Tucson and all that I miss is the aridity and the mountain scenery wrapping around that city.

Tucson happily lives in the shadow of Phoenix. Historically, Tucson preceded Phoenix, and is a very mature, civilized city to live in with lots of surprise everywhere.

Las Vegas is still going through its teenage years, and it has a lot of maturing to do, like establishing an art museum (last big city to get one) and getting some light rail line built, a tall order as the 9-10,000 taxi drivers in Las Vegas have repeatedly rejected the idea, particularly a line going from the Airport down the Strip to Fremont. Give Las Vegas 10-15 more years of maturing and it'll be one great city to live in.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:42 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Face it, no matter what city you move to you're going to get bored with it eventually, and then? Where can I escape to within 2-3-4 hours of here? And if the city you pick is too from anywhere (Minneapolis/Denver) then you well better like that city.

San Antonio is a quick drive to Austin, and you can also zip on over to Corpus Christi. El Paso, well, I've done it, taken the bus to Chihuahua, not a bad city to escape to. Tucson? It's a long drive to San Diego, too long, and too long of a drive to Las Vegas (6-7 hours) but there's Phoenix, and if you go south you can take the bus out of Nogales and go to the ocean in Guayamas, San Carlos, a shorter distance than San Diego.

I just moved out of Las Vegas for Tucson and all that I miss is the aridity and the mountain scenery wrapping around that city.

Tucson happily lives in the shadow of Phoenix. Historically, Tucson preceded Phoenix, and is a very mature, civilized city to live in with lots of surprise everywhere.

Las Vegas is still going through its teenage years, and it has a lot of maturing to do, like establishing an art museum (last big city to get one) and getting some light rail line built, a tall order as the 9-10,000 taxi drivers in Las Vegas have repeatedly rejected the idea, particularly a line going from the Airport down the Strip to Fremont. Give Las Vegas 10-15 more years of maturing and it'll be one great city to live in.
Las Vegas may never grow from it's reputation from the Strip. The Strip does a lot for Vegas of course, but I think Vegas needs to offer more outside of the Strip to really mature. Imagine if Vegas did not have the Strip, but everything else staying the same. How would it compare to Phoenix? Or Tucson? Personally I wouldn't see very many unique qualities. Vegas on a surface level to me reminds me a lot of Phoenix in it's architecture and development style, even moreso than Phoenix and Tucson in my opinion. Vegas needs unique offerings to identify it as a major city, not as a "rich playground in the sand" city. Then again that isn't stopping Dubai, so maybe I have this all wrong.

Tucson and Phoenix share a similar dynamic to LA and San Diego in the sense that LA and San Diego are two very different cities who offer different lifestyles to people who want similar climates. San Diego being smaller, more "laid back", more conservative, etc. in comparison to LA. Tucson being more liberal, smaller, marches to the beat of its own drum, historic, in comparison to Phoenix.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:08 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
There's tons of money in Las Vegas, many rich-rich people move there to escape a state income tax, including a billionaire Wal-Mart heir. I don't think any number of them live there year-round, they merely establish residence there to escape taxation.

And with all that tax savings, Las Vegas can't find enough donors to merely build a world-class art museum? Shameful, shameful!!

And no ground is yet to broken for a light rail line!

Old 09-02-2018, 09:43 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,962,618 times
For entertainment, food, shopping I think Las Vegas outdoes all the rest here, but maybe it's better for visitors than those who live there. All these features are expensive.

To my mind, Tucson and San Antonio stand out. They are moderately attractive cities with some limitations--weather and transit come to mind. And, for me, San Antonio is in Texas and the state's politics are more repugnant than Arizona's. So maybe Tucson.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:06 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,962,618 times
And how did Lubbock sneak into this comparison? It is nowhere near as large as the others on the list and compares more to Amarillo, or even Las Cruces.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:11 AM

47 posts, read 62,531 times
I'm not a big fan of Las Vegas. Too touristy and outside the strip is kinda dumpy, however, there are some nice areas. Still, Arizona>Nevada anytime for me. As I've said, I feel Tucson is the best city on this list. El Paso and Lubbock are probably the worst ones. San Antonio is nice, but it's way too humid and I can't stand humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City