Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ???
Arizona 27 72.97%
California 8 21.62%
Can’t decide, both deserts are beautiful 2 5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-16-2018, 11:24 AM

17,803 posts, read 13,698,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Skyscrapers View Post
I’m surprised at how everybody voted for Arizona (I was the 1 who voted California)

Are we all just voting for the underdog here and feeling bad for Arizona not having an ocean so we’re choosing out of guilt? I mean CA’s desert isn’t bad at all. I’d post pictures if I could. We got sand domes that look straight out of the Middle East. CA’s desert mountains are also much taller exceeding 10,000 ft+.
Arizona's desert is "greener" for lack of a better word than CA in the pretty parts of the Sonoran. Both states have some pretty unremarkable desert as well.

Old 06-16-2018, 11:38 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times
Arizona

Old 06-16-2018, 04:29 PM

10,753 posts, read 23,828,256 times
Quote:
I’m surprised at how everybody voted for Arizona (I was the 1 who voted California)

Are we all just voting for the underdog here and feeling bad for Arizona not having an ocean so we’re choosing out of guilt? I mean CA’s desert isn’t bad at all. I’d post pictures if I could. We got sand domes that look straight out of the Middle East. CA’s desert mountains are also much taller exceeding 10,000 ft+.
Has nothing do with being underdog or how tall the mountains are. I just think aesthetically Arizona has better looking desertscapes. The vegetation that grows in the Sororan desert gives it a more interesting look than the Mojave. Check out photos of Sauguaro National Park or Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument and you'll see what I mean. Throw in the crazy red rocks up on the Colorado Plateau (Antelope Canyon, The Wave) in the northern part of the state and that just puts AZ over the top in my opinion.

Old 06-16-2018, 06:17 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,304,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Has nothing do with being underdog or how tall the mountains are.
The OP is just a troll trying (but failing) to hide an agenda...

Old 06-16-2018, 07:58 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
Quote:
If you can’t find even the slightest beauty in any desert than that’s sad and your problem. No one’s making you live in one.
That's why I don't live in one and never would

Old 06-16-2018, 09:51 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,628,852 times
I'd rather live in the populated California desert areas than the Arizona ones, so I pick California.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:16 AM

6,137 posts, read 3,865,359 times
I like the Sonoran desert far more than the Mohave. But that is just me, because I like more lush scenery and the Sonoran desert overall is more lush relatively for a desert.

Out of all the deserts in America, I prefer the Sonoran personally.

The eastern part of the Sonoran Desert around Sierra Vista, Arizona and Eastern suburbs of Tucson gets three or four times the average rainfall as much of the Mohave.

While, Western Parts of the Sonoran desert are very dry around Yuma in the Telepgraph Pass area the desert overall to the east has lots of natural growth do to the summer rainfall.

Much of the Sonoran Desert (eastern part of it) has much more comfortable late-summer weather overall than the Mohave desert which doesn't have the monsoon rainfall.

Old 06-17-2018, 04:37 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,819,011 times
The Sonoran is not as "harsh" as the Mohave and Coronado deserts in California and that is worth noting. Take the drive between Vegas and Reno (some of which is Great Basin) and you'll understand what I mean by this. There is significantly less plant life, hotter temperatures, less rain, more sun, taller/rockier mountains, creating an idea of "harsh and dangerous" even if subconsciously in our minds. It takes a certain person to enjoy beauty in the harshness like that, someone who would also enjoy brutalist architecture as it is not "comforting", etc. Most people do not appreciate that for what it is, against the grain of being welcoming. The desert is already harsh and fairly lifeless in comparison to most of the Earth which is why most people don't like deserts as it is, and the Mohave is one of the harshest if not the harshest desert on this continent since Death Valley exists. It's only natural that people would prefer the Sonora, maybe in our human nature since we may have purposely sought areas that were better for our survival to begin with.

With all that being said, I am fascinated by all deserts, but I am a bit biased for the one I was born and raised in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.