Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better public transit?
Toronto 39 35.45%
Chicago 71 64.55%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 03:06 PM

143 posts, read 290,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Differential View Post
This does not include Toronto's extensive bus and streetcar network which extends deep into the suburbs for coverage Chicago just doesn't have.
The Chicago area has an extensive bus coverage that goes into the suburbs as well. This is a combined map of all rail and buses for the entire area:

https://www.rtachicago.org/sites/def...System-Map.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2021, 03:13 PM

257 posts, read 167,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceboyzero View Post
The Chicago area has an extensive bus coverage that goes into the suburbs as well. This is a combined map of all rail and buses for the entire area:

Touche.

Old 06-02-2021, 04:51 PM

444 posts, read 282,865 times
Quote:

Well the main difference between Toronto's Bus network compared to American ones is frequency. Toronto bus very high bus frequencies and it's why Toronto has such high transit usage. Very seldom do you have to wait more than 15 minutes for a regular bus in Toronto

Old 06-02-2021, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan1982 View Post
Well the main difference between Toronto's Bus network compared to American ones is frequency. Toronto bus very high bus frequencies and it's why Toronto has such high transit usage. Very seldom do you have to wait more than 15 minutes for a regular bus in Toronto
I’m sure that Canadian transit systems are run better overall across the country just by the sheer amount of money invested compared to how little the US spends on public transit.

That said, the point I was responding to was that Chicago doesn’t have a extensive bus network that goes into the suburbs (it does), and depending on the bus route/time of day, I’ve never waited more than 15/20 on average.

Old 06-05-2021, 10:10 AM

230 posts, read 286,288 times
Quote:
I’m sure that Canadian transit systems are run better overall across the country just by the sheer amount of money invested compared to how little the US spends on public transit.

That said, the point I was responding to was that Chicago doesn’t have a extensive bus network that goes into the suburbs (it does), and depending on the bus route/time of day, I’ve never waited more than 15/20 on average.
I repped this post, because your location tagline ("Chicago: The Miami of Canada.") is hilarious. Nice.

Old 06-05-2021, 11:57 AM

2,185 posts, read 1,382,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisposedData View Post
Toronto definitely. Chicago is dense in the core and falls apart after that.
I familiar with Chicago and live in TO.

In regards to what you said it is actually the other way around. Chicago is dense from Bronzeville all the way to its northern suburbs. Toronto, not so much. In terms of urban living Chicago is in the same tier as Paris or NYC (ranking below those of course). Toronto is not at all in the same league.

Quote:
It's not the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art_Provider View Post
It's interesting that no one has mentioned Toronto's significantly better ridership - 950K daily riders for the TTC subway vs 750K for the L. Doesn't that speak to the effectiveness of the service to some extent?
Car insurance is north of $300/month for most people in TO. Could be a factor.

Last edited by Sorel36; 06-05-2021 at 12:14 PM..

Old 06-05-2021, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFrom215 View Post
I repped this post, because your location tagline ("Chicago: The Miami of Canada.") is hilarious. Nice.
Haha thanks! No one has ever noticed and commented before!

Old 06-06-2021, 08:49 AM

230 posts, read 286,288 times
Quote:
Haha thanks! No one has ever noticed and commented before!
Thank you, too! I needed a good chuckle. Funny stuff!

Old 06-06-2021, 10:57 AM

257 posts, read 167,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post

Car insurance is north of $300/month for most people in TO. Could be a factor.
A lot of people drive in Toronto, a lot of people take transit. Public transit is less stigmatized in Canada.

Old 06-06-2021, 11:29 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Differential View Post
A lot of people drive in Toronto, a lot of people take transit. Public transit is less stigmatized in Canada.
Most US cities like Chicago from 2015-2019 saw a drop in overall ridership, but an increase in peak ridership. More individuals are riding less often.

People are buying cars as cities get wealthier but still commute with transit. It’s just on a Saturday afternoon, the L can’t compete with a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City