Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better public transit?
Toronto 39 35.45%
Chicago 71 64.55%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 08:03 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,241,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post

How can Toronto have 6.7 million people in 888 square miles, when it needs 2,750 square miles just to hit 6.4 million?

Here is Toronto's core:
Durham: 645,862 974 sqmi
Halton: 548,435 372sqmi
Peel: 1,381,739 481 sqmi
Toronto: 2,731,571 243sqmi
York: 1,109,909 680sqmi

Total: 6,417,516 in 2,750sqmi
It doesn't need 2750 square miles, most of that square milage is not included in the urban area as it's undeveloped, and over 500,000 of that 6.7 is from the neighbouring city of Hamilton which is contiguous with the urbanized part of Halton Region (Burlington and Oakville), which are contiguous with Peel Region (Mississauga and Brampton) which is contiguous with the City of Toronto therefore forming a single urban area. You need to distinguish between what constitutes a metropolitan area in Canada (CMA) and an urban area. The Toronto urban area includes portions of three separate CMAs Toronto-Hamilton-Oshawa). Statcan counts the urban areas of each CMA separately as population centres, but the three are actually a single urban area containing 6.7 million people in less than 900 square miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 08:48 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
It doesn't need 2750 square miles, most of that square milage is not included in the urban area as it's undeveloped, and over 500,000 of that 6.7 is from the neighbouring city of Hamilton which is contiguous with the urbanized part of Halton Region (Burlington and Oakville), which are contiguous with Peel Region (Mississauga and Brampton) which is contiguous with the City of Toronto therefore forming a single urban area. You need to distinguish between what constitutes a metropolitan area in Canada (CMA) and an urban area. The Toronto urban area includes portions of three separate CMAs Toronto-Hamilton-Oshawa). Statcan counts the urban areas of each CMA separately as population centres, but the three are actually a single urban area containing 6.7 million people in less than 900 square miles.
Are you going to let American cities subtract their forested areas to parks? It isn't nearly as continuous ones forest preserves separate them. You merely are not counting that in. Sure corridors unite it all. They very well might all be in a Toronto CSA if the US criteria and region is used? But it must have the commuting pattern to the main regional core city. You would not get Niagara Falls in a CSA etc. Also the argument on continuous urban built.

But this thread is on transit and it always goes to better city, urban density, claims of pedestrian street-traffic superior etc.

Few doubt once all the new subway additions and others are completed.... it can probably claim more them Chicago and I'm sure it will. But TO sees claiming superior to Chicago is passé... old news. It aims to be more a NYC and eyes on even catching LA..... I'd say that is decades away if ever. As for Chicagoland? It too is over a decade away if on a fastest pace possible. Probably more like two. That's id Chicagoland never gets to better growth rates overall again? I'd say eventually the Northern US will eventually have the sunbelt US migration slow to halt. Time will tell.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:01 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,713,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Are you going to let American cities subtract their forested areas to parks? It isn't nearly as continuous ones forest preserves separate them. You merely are not counting that in. Sure corridors unite it all. They very well might all be in a Toronto CSA if the US criteria and region is used? But it must have the commuting pattern to the main regional core city. You would not get Niagara Falls in a CSA etc. Also the argument on continuous urban built.

But this thread is on transit and it always goes to better city, urban density, claims of pedestrian street-traffic superior etc.

Few doubt once all the new subway additions and others are completed.... it can probably claim more them Chicago and I'm sure it will. But TO sees claiming superior to Chicago is passé... old news. It aims to be more a NYC and eyes on even catching LA..... I'd say that is decades away if ever. As for Chicagoland? It too is over a decade away if on a fastest pace possible. Probably more like two. That's id Chicagoland never gets to better growth rates overall again? I'd say eventually the Northern US will eventually have the sunbelt US migration slow to halt. Time will tell.
I’m guessing you’re doing voice dictation? I’d wait until you can actually type out a response because it’s not working.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:07 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,752,780 times
Chicago by far. I like Toronto and it has decent transit but Chicago has more lines on the L and Metra. Metra lines also have service on the weekends and at night.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
I’m guessing you’re doing voice dictation? I’d wait until you can actually type out a response because it’s not working.
There is a ignore list or never reply. I just keep some opinions to why I disagree and choose to see all post.

Old 06-22-2018, 05:54 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,228,266 times
I was waiting for the Canada haters to enter the conversation. So much anger and jealousy, lol!

Last edited by North 42; 06-22-2018 at 06:02 AM..

Old 06-22-2018, 06:09 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,298,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Stop being dishonest Atticman,

Cook and DuPage County have 6,141,391 people in 1,272 square miles.

How many square miles does Toronto need to reach 6,141,391 people?

Durham: 645,862 974 sqmi
Halton: 548,435 372sqmi
Peel: 1,381,739 481 sqmi
Toronto: 2,731,571 243sqmi
York: 1,109,909 680sqmi

Total: 6,417,516 in 2,750sqmi, or about 2,500sqmi to hit 6.1 million.

Toronto needs 2x(!) the land area to hit the same population as the core counties of Chicago. Don't try to argue that Toronto is denser. The facts are obvious to anyone who isn't a frothing Toronto booster.
You could have bothered to look up Toronto's urban area and population stats before going on another one of your anti-Toronto rants.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:22 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,891,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
I was waiting for the Canada haters to enter the conversation. So much anger and jealousy, lol!
Anger and jealousy? Seriously?

Old 06-22-2018, 06:44 AM

The conclusion for the thread is .... that TO building a new subway and other improvements in a fast growing city where more will have to or choose to take transit. Will surpass Chicago's transit offerings, ridership etc. and metro. But yet today.... most are saying can be close, but not there yet.

Once HATERS accusing comes in and nothing they even add and total disregard of stats. That some take the time to post. The thread got lost. I remember all the other Toronto vs threads and same gang minus two or three. I miss ... Mr Burns and another probably on vacation. Same thing happens.

There were other TO vs. threads recently that seem to have disappeared? Not sure much more could be added here that was not said on topic already.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:12 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
I remember when living in Baltimore how there was an unspoken stigma around people taking buses to work in Inner Harbor. I took the bus for a while but never told my colleagues as all of them drive to work from Baltimore's nicer suburbs.
Yes, true, there is in Baltimore, and public transit is really crummy in most of Baltimore. But there isn't a stigma to PT just down the road in DC, and certainly not in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City