Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 12:49 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisposedData View Post
I doubt it. Colorado is still a huge millennial magnet with or without the military presence. It is one of the fastest growing states in the nation and always topping these kinds of lists.
These bases have a LOT of people though, thousands of people moving in from other parts of the country, all of them young.

A lot of the non military migration to CO is Gen Xers and older. It would still probably be in the top 20 if we excluded military movements, but it wouldn't be #3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 09:11 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
And you know any of this how? This summation is beyond ridiculous, and you need to provide proof of these claims.

The core of the Metro is experiencing an unprecedented boom that makes the run-up to the Olympics look like child's play. And it's being driven by millennials either staying after college, or being drawn to the tens of thousands of good jobs being created here annually.
I know of this because of the census facts posted here which I double checked. Did you review those facts? I provided facts and you are making a bunch of generalizations. Every downtown in America is doing well. I'd argue for its size, Atlanta's downtown isn't impressive at all.

For one year, 2016, Atlanta didn't retain as many millennials as it lost. Or if it did, it was under 3,000 net retention. The data this study pulled is hard to replicate but we are talking about CITY populations for 2016 and thus, urban cores. The problem with too many studies is they show millennial growth. The study I posted is important, at least for that one year, because it measures NET millennial gains. Many large cities like ATL lose Millennials as fast as they gain them.

Old 06-24-2018, 01:45 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,097,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I know of this because of the census facts posted here which I double checked. Did you review those facts? I provided facts and you are making a bunch of generalizations. Every downtown in America is doing well. I'd argue for its size, Atlanta's downtown isn't impressive at all.

For one year, 2016, Atlanta didn't retain as many millennials as it lost. Or if it did, it was under 3,000 net retention. The data this study pulled is hard to replicate but we are talking about CITY populations for 2016 and thus, urban cores. The problem with too many studies is they show millennial growth. The study I posted is important, at least for that one year, because it measures NET millennial gains. Many large cities like ATL lose Millennials as fast as they gain them.
The irony is your post is base on generalization, the data your using isn't suggestion what your saying.

City core ≠ full city

For starters as mention in my last post you
"This isn't true either, Downtown, Midtown, The Eastside neighborhoods and West Midtown are generally growing and gaining Millennial. If areas losing population it's more outer and Suburban parts at the ends of city. Not the immediate

Your making a assumption of how these cities are growing given their population. That Nashville growth must all be downtown and Atlanta not making this list means millennial aren't moving to the city center. That false. this tells what happening in their city limits not a break down of neighborhoods or what's happening in their downtown and immediate areas. You need to learn more about how these city are develop,?
If your use entire city data not Downtown or CBD district data. Most American Downtowns are actually only 3 to 10 sq mi. So using entire cities that could be from 50 to 300 sq mi. To make statement about what happen in area of 3 to 10 sq mi that's illogical. If the outer single family large yard neighborhoods or blighted neighborhoods are loosing Millennial in the city of Atlanta that causing a off set I wouldn't be suprise but Atlanta core and Eastern neighborhoods in Atlanta thriving.

Downtown Atlanta actually have a lot of redevelopment projects Underground Atlanta redevelopment project the South Downtown redevelopment project and etc.

First look: Vision for Underground Atlanta's Block 3, now under construction

New renderings depict South Downtown Atlanta completely reborn

And That just Downtown, Midtown is having a boom

Mapped: Midtown development surges ahead as ahead as year goes on - Curbed Atlanta

"I'd argue for its size, Atlanta's downtown isn't impressive at all." Downtown is only part of Atlanta core, Midtown is basically extension of Downtown, Midtown alone is bigger gaining more projects than most cities in Southeast.

https://c5.staticflickr.com/9/8606/2...ec5e6905_h.jpg

As I mention Outside city there even more areas. The point I was making Atlanta is too big for that, Atlanta the city isn't the only place in metro attracting millennial Atlanta inner suburbs are getting denser. This is also happening in other large Sunbelt cities.

https://instagram.fatl1-1.fna.fbcdn....11635200_n.jpg

In last post you said

"these mega sunbelt cities have about reached their limit and people, particularly millennials, are preferring the charm, sensibility, and similar urban amenities in mid sized cities,"

Which is hilarious

The site your using says Georgia is 17,000 Atlanta is like 80% of Georgia growth. This means Metro Atlanta has Net of 14,000 alone that's more then entire states of half the cities even given, Texas is number 2, So how "these mega sunbelt cities have about reached their limit and people, particularly millennials, are preferring the charm, sensibility, and similar urban amenities in mid sized cities," When "mega sunbelt cities" are amongst the biggest gainers? You reached really hard with that.

https://dr5dymrsxhdzh.cloudfront.net...y_states-1.png

Old 06-25-2018, 12:50 AM

68 posts, read 66,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Personally, as in just for me, not behind the bold'd. I've realized that I vastly, vastly prefer walking around for everything and not driving as well as having the option of something sociable to do at 2 am. I'd actually like to see more cities headed there as I believe many US cities were like that prior to the last half of the 20th century.

I wish I had this.. living where I do now, impossible. I hate having to drive everywhere. Sometimes up to 1 to 2 hours to see family. Sickening. Plus car sticker inspections. This should all be outdated and a thing of the past but cronyism wants to keep it going on.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:03 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,751,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I don't understand how someone can somehow afford Seattle but not Philadelphia, Chicago, or Boston.

Anyway, most millennials I know, and I am also a millennial, don't really care if a place is urban or not. In fact, and maybe this is because a lot of people move to Texas to escape the crowdedness of other cities like Chicago, the Northeast, or California, the majority or millennials I know who actually have a preference prefer suburban or Texas styled "urban"/miniurban over urban environments.
I have to agree with this. I haven't been to Seattle in a decade but it was expensive and had a lot of traffic then so I can't imagine it now. So essentially the same problems you see in major cities like DC.

I was expecting to see places like Philadelphia, Atlanta, Raleigh, Charlotte, and Houston higher on the list.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:58 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Who needs ATL at this point...alot of these millennials for example are LEAVING Atlanta for these midsized carolina cities for example.
They are mainly leaving Atlanta for the suburbs of Atlanta, so clearly they still "need" Atlanta. The midsized Carolina cities are simply starting to do a better job of retaining their own and it is simply not accurate to imply that they are "stealing" them from Atlanta.

The exaggerations you make really strain your credibility.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:18 PM

35,054 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
I have to agree with this. I haven't been to Seattle in a decade but it was expensive and had a lot of traffic then so I can't imagine it now. So essentially the same problems you see in major cities like DC.

I was expecting to see places like Philadelphia, Atlanta, Raleigh, Charlotte, and Houston higher on the list.
I'm really surprised Charlotte isn't higher. It's a pretty large city with warm weather, great location between other metros, fairly easy access to the East Coast, a major airport, and reasonable cost of living.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:25 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,543 times
Interesting set of cities for 2018:

Source: https://smartasset.com/mortgage/wher...g-2018-edition

Jacksonville? Really?

Old 06-25-2018, 09:21 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Interesting set of cities for 2018:

Source: https://smartasset.com/mortgage/wher...g-2018-edition

Jacksonville? Really?
I'm assuming it's the same old JAX city limits = entire county of Duval conundrum greatly inflating the number for JAX. Because of this anybody moving to most suburbs or even rural areas are counted in this statistic. I'd be willing to put money on the other 3 Florida cities being in the lead if metro area was looked at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City