Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 07:55 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,400,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
This list definitely is getting the side eye. Virginia Beach has been doing okay, but for Virginia the DC area continues to be the main focus for growth among the Millennials. Raleigh has been growing like bonkers along with Austin which isn't mentioned at all nor Atlanta.
Yeah, I have a hard time believing millennials are flocking to VA Beach/Norfolk, don’t get me wrong, it’s a nice area but the job market down there has been dismal for a while and the salaries don’t match the CoL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 08:33 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
I believe census estimates are based largely on institutional housing numbers; prisons dorms and military barracks. That’s why I don’t place a lot of stock in census estimates, and that’s also why military cities dominate this list.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:55 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,293,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I don't know. Many cities on this list have "mini urbanity." People underestimate that in 2018, since the Sex and the City days, you don't have to be in NYC to get "NYC things." Almost every city in this list has great jobs, diversifying economies and several dense, walkable neighborhoods with a mix of new apartment construction and historic urban rehabs with at least moderate density.

And when I say the SE coast is the 21st century CA, I mean to say I really see that area experiencing growth like CA did 100 years ago, and like FL did 50 years back.
Yeah it would be interesting to see what areas of those cities millennials are moving to. I still tend to agree that urbanity is overrated, especially on these boards. I think most millenials just want a safe reasonably affordable are where other young people live.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:23 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisposedData View Post
The West and South completely dominating. Good to see Texas at number 2.

Also goes to show that urbanity is overrated when it comes to what millennials supposedly want.
We do want urbanity. Trust me. But not many of us can afford the urban legacy cities like Boston, NYC, Philly, DC, Chicago, SF. The cities winning are generally quite urban or have good urban enclaves. Seattle is very urban. Sacramento is underrated for urbanity. Minneapolis is urban in its core. Denver is urbanizing rapidly. Norfolk VA has some older/dense housing stock and downtown. Charlotte is doing its best to urbanize. Nashville is quite urban and walkable for a Southern city. Cincinnati is very urban compared to many of its peer cities. Louisville has some pretty dense neighborhoods and a bigger urban footprint than most people would imagine. Oakland is very urban. Houston is urbanizing. Columbus isn't URBAN per se, but its downtown has great bones and Short North and German Village are great urban neighborhoods with older housing stock.

So while a lot of the cities on the list are not URBAN as in the NYC/SF/Philly/DC/Boston way, I'd put some good money on the fact that millennials moving to these traditionally less urban cities are settling in the more urban neighborhoods. You might not have a bodega on every corner and be able to sell your car, but you could commute to work on some form of public transit without creating a huge inconvenience, and you can definitely more to more than a few restaurants/bars.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:31 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,753 times
I don't understand how someone can somehow afford Seattle but not Philadelphia, Chicago, or Boston.

Anyway, most millennials I know, and I am also a millennial, don't really care if a place is urban or not. In fact, and maybe this is because a lot of people move to Texas to escape the crowdedness of other cities like Chicago, the Northeast, or California, the majority or millennials I know who actually have a preference prefer suburban or Texas styled "urban"/miniurban over urban environments.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:41 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I don't understand how someone can somehow afford Seattle but not Philadelphia, Chicago, or Boston.

Anyway, most millennials I know, and I am also a millennial, don't really care if a place is urban or not. In fact, and maybe this is because a lot of people move to Texas to escape the crowdedness of other cities like Chicago, the Northeast, or California, the majority or millennials I know who actually have a preference prefer suburban or Texas styled "urban"/miniurban over urban environments.
Boston is very expensive. Chicago and Philadelphia are definitely more affordable. But Seattle is where some of the best paying tech jobs are, so that helps us afford rent.

I'm a millennial too. I guess it can be an echo chamber sometimes, because I'm from LA, lived in SF, and now live in Jersey City with all my friends being in NYC. We all prefer urban life and hate driving and really never see ourselves living in the suburbs. And of the ones even thinking of leaving NYC, it's usually Atlanta because they can afford condos within walking distance to everything and not be stuck in suburbia. The people I know that left LA have ended up in urban Atlanta, Austin near downtown, DC, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Boston, and a very very large number are in NYC.

I get not everyone loves the intense urbanism of NYC. But I know very few millennials who enjoy complete seclusion on cul de sacs where grocery stores and restaurants are all a long drive away.

Old 06-18-2018, 12:10 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Boston is very expensive. Chicago and Philadelphia are definitely more affordable. But Seattle is where some of the best paying tech jobs are, so that helps us afford rent.

I'm a millennial too. I guess it can be an echo chamber sometimes, because I'm from LA, lived in SF, and now live in Jersey City with all my friends being in NYC. We all prefer urban life and hate driving and really never see ourselves living in the suburbs. And of the ones even thinking of leaving NYC, it's usually Atlanta because they can afford condos within walking distance to everything and not be stuck in suburbia. The people I know that left LA have ended up in urban Atlanta, Austin near downtown, DC, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Boston, and a very very large number are in NYC.

I get not everyone loves the intense urbanism of NYC. But I know very few millennials who enjoy complete seclusion on cul de sacs where grocery stores and restaurants are all a long drive

This. I’m a Gen-Xer and I only have two friends who live in the suburbs...and only one who does so by choice (the other lives in metro-DC with three kids, so the burbs were a must). While some live in New York, Boston, Chicago and DC, others enjoy a slightly less intense urban lifestyle in cities like Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Atlanta or even small college towns. None of them opted for full scale suburbia.

Old 06-18-2018, 12:27 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post

I get not everyone loves the intense urbanism of NYC. But I know very few millennials who enjoy complete seclusion on cul de sacs where grocery stores and restaurants are all a long drive away.
Having children changes things tho.

Old 06-18-2018, 12:46 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,293,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post

Exactly. I'm not sure why people on this forum think that everyone wants to live in a super dense urban area.

Old 06-18-2018, 12:53 PM

93,334 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Yeah it would be interesting to see what areas of those cities millennials are moving to. I still tend to agree that urbanity is overrated, especially on these boards. I think most millenials just want a safe reasonably affordable are where other young people live.
What I think it really comes down to is walkability or at least an interest in it, whether you want an urban environment or not. In many places, especially “older” metros, you have suburban villages to cities that still allow for you to have a walkable environment at some viable level. So, even if you don’t want a highly urban environment, you still have the option of select suburbs where you don’t have to necessarily drive everywhere.

This way you can still have your car to drive into the main city, but also walk to shops/services in your immediate neighborhood/community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City