Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 12:12 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times

Advertisements

Also, Seinfeld is such a BS representation of NYC, they all live in Manhattan but drive every day? I'm guessing most of the car ownership in Manhattan comes from way uptown, but maybe I'm wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 12:28 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,219,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I find Southern Brooklyn to be super urban too, though! The fact that Coney Island is that urban and very far from Manhattan is impressive.

Southern Brooklyn has subway service, high population density, and is structurally dense (even if less so than Northern BK).

The only parts of Brooklyn that come close to being suburban are those fringe areas like Mill Basin, but even that neighborhood is not 100% suburban.

As for your point about Queens having had been different towns, I don't know if I agree. Most of the housing stock and subway lines were built after the merger. And Brooklyn was also various towns at one point.

As for going out in Queens, do tell!
Spanish clubs.

Since learning Spanish I’ve been hanging out with more Spanish-speaking people, most of which don’t know English. Jackson Heights, Elmhurst, and Corona have a very high concentration of Spanish bars + clubs that are very popular with Spanish-speaking people in NYC. My best friend is from Puerto Rico, and while he is bilingual English/Spanish his other friends are not, so when we hang out they just end up taking me to all their favorite Spanish clubs in Queens. I have been to a few Spanish bars in Brooklyn, but I like the Spanish nightlife scene in Queens better. Although overall I would still rank Brooklyn’s nightlife higher, I just think Queens has a better Spanish nightlife scene.

Nothing better than going out and having fun while also learning a new language
It really is the best way to learn. Just to go out and be social and have fun doing it. You can really learn any language in this city depending on where you hang out and who you hang out with. Queens is probably the best part of NYC for stuff like this just due to how extremely diverse it is.

I have also just been falling in love with Jackson Heights. With over 160 different languages in that one neighborhood, it is probably the most diverse in all of NYC and probably one of the most diverse neighborhoods in the entire world! And all the food there is so amazing, no matter what type of cuisine you are looking for, Jackson Heights probably has it and nothing there ever disappoints. The bar scene over there is also highly underrated. Jackson Heights is a very well-kept secret. I know that NYers know about it, but it doesn’t seem to get too much attention from non-Queens people. Also I bet that neighborhood is virtually unknown outside of NYC.

EDIT: and yes that always bothered me about Seinfeld how they live in Manhattan but drive everywhere! To be fair though, many shows give a very BS representation of NYC. Like Friends how all those broke people can afford such a gigantic apartment in Manhattan. Even for the 90s I feel that was so unrealistic.

Last edited by That_One_Guy; 06-24-2018 at 12:39 PM..

Old 06-24-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Spanish clubs.

Since learning Spanish I’ve been hanging out with more Spanish-speaking people, most of which don’t know English. Jackson Heights, Elmhurst, and Corona have a very high concentration of Spanish bars + clubs that are very popular with Spanish-speaking people in NYC. My best friend is from Puerto Rico, and while he is bilingual English/Spanish his other friends are not, so when we hang out they just end up taking me to all their favorite Spanish clubs in Queens. I have been to a few Spanish bars in Brooklyn, but I like the Spanish nightlife scene in Queens better. Although overall I would still rank Brooklyn’s nightlife higher, I just think Queens has a better Spanish nightlife scene.

It really is the best way to learn. Just to go out and be social and have fun doing it. You can really learn any language in this city depending on where you hang out and who you hang out with. Queens is probably the best part of NYC for stuff like this just due to how extremely diverse it is.

I have also just been falling in love with Jackson Heights. With over 160 different languages in that one neighborhood, it is probably the most diverse in all of NYC and probably one of the most diverse neighborhoods in the entire world!
That's really cool because I was gonna ask you about the more "ethnic" nightlife in Queens. I've always been interested in those bars on Roosevelt Ave. It's also cool that you're learning Spanish, I'm not a native speaker but I've taught myself a lot over the years. I like the Latin pop/Reggaeton movement that's sweeping popular music, it's good party music and I can imagine it being fun to be at a club with a bunch of girls shaking their ass to it.

I was also wondering where US born Latinas hang out, I was guessing some spots in Queens would be good for that. The hipster nightlife scene is cool and all, and more diverse than some people give it credit for, however clearly not representative of the diversity of NYC itself.

I'm also interested in those clubs in Richmond Hill and Jamaica where a lot of Guyanese folk hang out. Southwest Queens is an underrated area I think, I'd like to become more familiar with it.

The 7 train is basically the Diversity Belt and I love that whole stretch of Queens.

As for TV shows, yes that's true. Manhattan was already expensive in the 90s, except for the (at the time) hood areas.

How I Met Your Mother is clearly not filmed in NYC at all. I watch a show called Power and they filmed a scene that takes place in DC on Graham Ave in Williamsburg, it was so annoying to me lol. Those traffic lights are instantly recognizable as NYC.

Old 06-24-2018, 12:48 PM

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7232...7i13312!8i6656

I don't even consider a block that looks like this to be suburban. Nobody seeking a suburban lifestyle would choose a place like this!

This neighborhood (Queens Village) is denser than SAN FRANCISCO!

Old 06-24-2018, 01:13 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,219,550 times
Quote:
That's really cool because I was gonna ask you about the more "ethnic" nightlife in Queens. I've always been interested in those bars on Roosevelt Ave. It's also cool that you're learning Spanish, I'm not a native speaker but I've taught myself a lot over the years. I like the Latin pop/Reggaeton movement that's sweeping popular music, it's good party music and I can imagine it being fun to be at a club with a bunch of girls shaking their ass to it.

I was also wondering where US born Latinas hang out, I was guessing some spots in Queens would be good for that. The hipster nightlife scene is cool and all, and more diverse than some people give it credit for, however clearly not representative of the diversity of NYC itself.

I'm also interested in those clubs in Richmond Hill and Jamaica where a lot of Guyanese folk hang out. Southwest Queens is an underrated area I think, I'd like to become more familiar with it.

The 7 train is basically the Diversity Belt and I love that whole stretch of Queens.

As for TV shows, yes that's true. Manhattan was already expensive in the 90s, except for the (at the time) hood areas.

How I Met Your Mother is clearly not filmed in NYC at all. I watch a show called Power and they filmed a scene that takes place in DC on Graham Ave in Williamsburg, it was so annoying to me lol. Those traffic lights are instantly recognizable as NYC.
Yes! Reggaeton music is the best! It is currently my favorite music genre right now and these clubs/bars really are so much fun because of it. And yep, Roosevelt Ave is mostly where we go. Most of my friends are from Puerto Rico and most don’t speak English, so while technically US-born, they might not be what you’re asking about. US born English-speaking latinx’s do seem to hang out around there a lot too though. Honestly, US born English-speaking Latinas can be found anywhere in NYC.

I can’t speak for the Guyanese nightlife scene, but funny enough, my roommate is Guyanese and from Richmold Hill!
Quote:

I don't even consider a block that looks like this to be suburban. Nobody seeking a suburban lifestyle would choose a place like this!

It’s kind of different when you compare a single neighborhood to an entire city since single neighborhoods have a much smaller land area. What is impressive though is that Queens overall does have a higher density than SF, the 2nd most dense major city, with over twice the land area of SF. And this is all while being the least urban of the main 4 boroughs.

Old 06-24-2018, 01:13 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
The shot of the house they use is in Astoria, but on the show they try to say it’s Kew Gardens
George's Parents' House | WikiSein | FANDOM powered by Wikia
Ah nice thanks! I should've known, I love Astoria. Not sure of anywhere else you can randomly hear Greek spoken on the street.

Quote:
Spanish clubs.

I have also just been falling in love with Jackson Heights. With over 160 different languages in that one neighborhood, it is probably the most diverse in all of NYC and probably one of the most diverse neighborhoods in the entire world! And all the food there is so amazing, no matter what type of cuisine you are looking for, Jackson Heights probably has it and nothing there ever disappoints. The bar scene over there is also highly underrated. Jackson Heights is a very well-kept secret. I know that NYers know about it, but it doesn’t seem to get too much attention from non-Queens people. Also I bet that neighborhood is virtually unknown outside of NYC.

EDIT: and yes that always bothered me about Seinfeld how they live in Manhattan but drive everywhere! To be fair though, many shows give a very BS representation of NYC. Like Friends how all those broke people can afford such a gigantic apartment in Manhattan. Even for the 90s I feel that was so unrealistic.
Wow-that is amazing about Jackson Heights. I have always heard Queens is the most diverse county in the United States. That's awesome about learning Spanish too-and that's definitely the best way to do it. I studied Spanish for 4+ years in school but I felt I learned the most when I worked at a restaurant in the Bronx with mostly all Spanish speakers-some who didn't speak English.

Old 06-24-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Also, Seinfeld is such a BS representation of NYC, they all live in Manhattan but drive every day? I'm guessing most of the car ownership in Manhattan comes from way uptown, but maybe I'm wrong.
Haha very true. And did Kramer have a rent-controlled apartment or what lol?

Old 06-24-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I wouldn't either. Reminds me a bit of Tacony or some other neighborhoods in Northeast Philly.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0262...7i13312!8i6656

Old 06-24-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Yes! Reggaeton music is the best! It is currently my favorite music genre right now and these clubs/bars really are so much fun because of it. And yep, Roosevelt Ave is mostly where we go. Most of my friends are from Puerto Rico and most don’t speak English, so while technically US-born, they might not be what you’re asking about. US born English-speaking latinx’s do seem to hang out around there a lot too though. Honestly, US born English-speaking Latinas can be found anywhere in NYC.

I can’t speak for the Guyanese nightlife scene, but funny enough, my roommate is Guyanese and from Richmold Hill!
It’s kind of different when you compare a single neighborhood to an entire city since single neighborhoods have a much smaller land area. What is impressive though is that Queens overall does have a higher density than SF, the 2nd most dense major city, with over twice the land area of SF. And this is all while being the least urban of the main 4 boroughs.
Wow that's awesome! Yeah Reggaeton is fun, if I had a girl to go with I'd check out those places. And a cool thing about going out Jackson Heights is all late night Latin food available for when you get the drunk munchies.

Considering Latinos are about 1/4 of the city's population, I do find them to be way underrepresented in the Lower Manhattan/North Brooklyn nightlife scene.

Well it's not just Guyanese nightlife in Richmond Hill, many blacks, Latinos, and other South Asians are in that general area too.

And I know you can't compare a neighborhood to a city, but i think my point still stands (that it's not actually suburban).

Old 06-24-2018, 09:02 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Haha very true. And did Kramer have a rent-controlled apartment or what lol?
I think that he was supposed to be like the real Kenny Kramer that made some money early in life and just lived off that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City