Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 12:21 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,399,014 times

Advertisements

Unless it "King of Queens" and its specifically said, I'm not sure Americans outside of NY notice the borough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 12:27 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
Queens is the 3rd at best know New York Borough. The Bronx may be better know cause of the Bronx Bombers. Hell right now Staten Island has the Impractical Jokers.

Does Coming to America, Spiderman or Captain America make it clear they are in Queens or are they just in "New York"
The assertion made was that no boroughs other than Manhattan and Brooklyn have any recognizable identity outside of the Tri-State area. This thread belies this assertion.

Think about it. The thread is asking whether Philadelphia or Queens is more urban. The fact that nobody had to ask the question "Where is Queens?" or "Which Queens are we talking about? Queens, California or Queens, New Hampshire?" shows that Queens, New York already has a quite recognizable identity. Imagine asking the question "Which do you think is more urban, San Francisco or Roxborough?" Hardly anyone outside of the Delaware Valley knows where that is.

So it's a bit ironic that this poster claims Queens has no recognizable identity yet so many posters here seem to know so much about it.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:34 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The assertion made was that no boroughs other than Manhattan and Brooklyn have any recognizable identity outside of the Tri-State area. This thread belies this assertion.

Think about it. The thread is asking whether Philadelphia or Queens is more urban. The fact that nobody had to ask the question "Where is Queens?" or "Which Queens are we talking about? Queens, California or Queens, New Hampshire?" shows that Queens, New York already has a quite recognizable identity. Imagine asking the question "Which do you think is more urban, San Francisco or Roxborough?" Hardly anyone outside of the Delaware Valley knows where that is.

So it's a bit ironic that this poster claims Queens has no recognizable identity yet so many posters here seem to know so much about it.
It's more akin to asking about "South Central LA" "West Philly" or "Southside Chicago". Although still a bit different because no other city besides NYC has such well defined and functioned sections.

I wonder if more tourist visit Queens or The Bronx..

Old 06-25-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
It's more akin to asking about "South Central LA" "West Philly" or "Southside Chicago". Although still a bit different because no other city besides NYC has such well defined and functioned sections.
More than a bit different since Queens by itself would be the 4th largest city in the U.S.

Quote:
Good question. My guess would be the Bronx since tourist season in Queens is more seasonal with the beaches and the U.S. Open.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:48 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
It's gotta be the Bronx, due to the zoo. Everyone in the Tri-state area goes there at some point in their life.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
It's gotta be the Bronx, due to the zoo. Everyone in the Tri-state area goes there at some point in their life.
And the botanical gardens, the Yankees and Arthur Avenue. I don't think the latter sees a TON of tourists but I can't think of any place in Queens drawing more on a year-round basis.

Queens does have a few good museums though. Still don't think that tips the scale in its favor.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:05 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Yeah, but you're intentionally trying to change the subject. It's kinda lame.
Then quit extending this line of the thread.
Quote:
The flipside to this is that most people growing up outside of the U.S. don't learn much if anything about the American Revolution. So the special place that Independence Hall has in the minds of Americans doesn't resonate much with the rest of the world. It could be argued that Queens has more cachet than Philly does internationally since Queens is one of the world's great immigrant magnets whereas Philly struggles to get a trickle.
After working for a European company for 26 years and traveling to over 40 countries, I'm sure the American Revolution is pretty well known outside the US. In fact, I've often found people from outside the US know more about our country than many natives do.
Quote:
It could be argued that Queens has more cachet than Philly does internationally since Queens is one of the world's great immigrant magnets whereas Philly struggles to get a trickle.
In terms of which city has more cachet and tourist appal, you can, of course, make the argument you are making. Some may in fact, buy it.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:09 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:

We can be a ham and include JFK and LaGuardia visitors.

People from other countries visiting or staying with relatives in Queens are also a piece of the pie. Then there’s the US Open and events at Citi Field.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:10 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
And the botanical gardens, the Yankees and Arthur Avenue. I don't think the latter sees a TON of tourists but I can't think of any place in Queens drawing more on a year-round basis.

Queens does have a few good museums though. Still don't think that tips the scale in its favor.
But I bet tourists are more likely to lodge in Queens

Old 06-25-2018, 01:18 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Interesting that outside of Center City the census tract with the highest population density in Philly is not in University City (46,000 p/sm and 41,000 p/sm, 2010) but two tracts in Newbold and Point Breeze in South Philly with 53,000 p/sm and 48,000 p/sm. 6th-9th Streets between Snyder and Washington Aves also in South Philly is 50,000 p/sm 2010. 3rd-6th St between Snyder and Washington is 45,000 p/sm.

Fairmount/Art Museum neighborhoods reach 41,000 p/sm while Kensington/Fishtown reaches 40,000 p/sm. Hunting Park neighborhood in North Philly also reaches over 40,000 p/sm. Lawncrest/Oxford Circle in The Northeast reaches 37,000 p/sm. Cobbs Creek in West Philly is 36,000 p/sm. Olney reaches 34,000 p/sm and East Germantown 27,000.

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com
Yea, guy! Septa Regional Rail should take over the 25th street viaduct in South Philly with some stops and regional rail should run more like a S-Bahn/RER. What an exciting opportunity for Philadelphia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City