Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which you prefer?
San Diego 69 57.98%
Toronto 50 42.02%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 11:36 PM

257 posts, read 167,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan1982 View Post
For anyone who thinks Toronto lacks charm and grit then view the phototread below.
As a Torontonian, it's the most realistic depiction of central Toronto I have seen and you will get the true sense of what the city is like (in 2019)
As for comment that Toronto is just like 5 other eastern cities, I really don't see it. We have dramatically different demographics and built form compared to any other large North American city. I don't know of any other city outside of Ontario that has the same built form as Toronto with highrise buildings all over the city often right beside a 2 floor house/townhouse all over the city.

Toronto AC/BC - SkyscraperPage Forum
San Diego is remarkably bland compared to Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2020, 08:29 AM

1,051 posts, read 796,636 times
Quote:
For anyone who thinks Toronto lacks charm and grit then view the phototread below.
As a Torontonian, it's the most realistic depiction of central Toronto I have seen and you will get the true sense of what the city is like (in 2019)
As for comment that Toronto is just like 5 other eastern cities, I really don't see it. We have dramatically different demographics and built form compared to any other large North American city. I don't know of any other city outside of Ontario that has the same built form as Toronto with highrise buildings all over the city often right beside a 2 floor house/townhouse all over the city.

Toronto AC/BC - SkyscraperPage Forum
WOW! Didn't realize Toronto was such a $hithole.....

Old 11-13-2020, 08:44 AM

955 posts, read 609,762 times
Quote:
I'm seeing grit but not seeing much charm, or anything that changes my answer to OP's question, which is "which do you like better?"

SD just has a more unique characteristic that places it above Toronto for most people (as seen in the results of this poll).

Also, is it allowed to link to that website? I thought it was banned.

Old 11-13-2020, 10:09 AM

3,195 posts, read 2,649,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprez33 View Post
WOW! Didn't realize Toronto was such a $hithole.....
It has more grit and character than San Diego with that photo-set shown. Maybe you don't like it cause you're a gated community type folk, but it is far from a "**** hole" as you describe it. You should broaden your horizons instead of being a prude.

Old 11-13-2020, 10:29 AM

1,260 posts, read 943,932 times
Toronto by a long shot. The only thing that San Diego has over Toronto is weather and scenery (well and Mexican food). But aside from that Toronto 100%. The two cities IMO aren't comparable.

With that being said at this point in my life I rather live in SD. I currently live in Chicago and want to be by the ocean and somewhere that is warm year round. However, Toronto is still the much better, interesting and important city.

IMO the only cities that Toronto is comparable to is Chicago and San Francisco. It doesn't pack the punch that NYC and LA do, but it certainly is above the tier of cities like DC, Miami, Dallas, Houston, Philly and Boston.

Old 11-13-2020, 10:48 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
While I haven’t been since my college days in the 90’s, Toronto is one of North America’s great cities, top 5 for sure. With that said, the quality of life in San Diego is better than any major city on this continent, and for me that trumps everything.

Old 11-13-2020, 12:24 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,121,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
Toronto by a long shot. The only thing that San Diego has over Toronto is weather and scenery (well and Mexican food). But aside from that Toronto 100%. The two cities IMO aren't comparable.

With that being said at this point in my life I rather live in SD. I currently live in Chicago and want to be by the ocean and somewhere that is warm year round. However, Toronto is still the much better, interesting and important city.
I don't get this. If you are choosing San Diego, then why say that Toronto wins the poll...

I think everyone is agreeing that San Diego really only outshines Toronto in 2-3 categories. That has been established. Ultimately the question is what do people prefer? Based on the poll...San Diego.

It doesn't matter if Toronto is more interesting, important, better, etc. Ultimately you chose San Diego. Clearly all those advantages of Toronto didn't matter enough for you to choose it over San Diego. So why vote for Toronto when you prefer San Diego? The OP was very clear: which one do you prefer? Not which one wins more categories or would be generally preferable to others.

Old 11-13-2020, 12:38 PM

153 posts, read 101,345 times
Weird, yet interesting comparison.

For urban extensiveness, obviously Toronto wins all day. But SD is a very unique city with amazing weather.

Old 11-13-2020, 01:05 PM

1,260 posts, read 943,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
I don't get this. If you are choosing San Diego, then why say that Toronto wins the poll...

I think everyone is agreeing that San Diego really only outshines Toronto in 2-3 categories. That has been established. Ultimately the question is what do people prefer? Based on the poll...San Diego.

It doesn't matter if Toronto is more interesting, important, better, etc. Ultimately you chose San Diego. Clearly all those advantages of Toronto didn't matter enough for you to choose it over San Diego. So why vote for Toronto when you prefer San Diego? The OP was very clear: which one do you prefer? Not which one wins more categories or would be generally preferable to others.
As a city I prefer Toronto, I think it's the better city. But like I said at this point of my life I would pick SD to live in. I currently live in Chicago and moving to Miami and I think Chicago is the superior city by far compared to Miami, but I want to be by the ocean and in a warm climate. So same applies to Toronto vs. SD. I think Toronto is the better city.

So to me I prefer a city like Toronto when it comes to how I like cities. But at this moment I want to be somewhere warm and by the ocean so I would live in SD. I wouldn't live in SD because I think the city is so great nor do I think it's that great of a city, rather it's just meeting my current needs. Basically I wouldn't be living in SD because of the city, I find it bland, it would be strictly for the weather and being by the ocean.

Old 11-13-2020, 01:25 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
Once again, everyone knows Toronto wins in more categories.

Yet there is a reason why San Diego is winning the poll 57%...I think the point of this discussion is to dive into that...

So what's your point? The criteria was part of the poll and answered as such. If people are following the criteria, then why is Toronto winning? Because they are NOT using the criteria specified. Maybe all the voters are from California. Even adding color beyond the criteria, Toronto still wins easily. It's a poll, I followed it, and I will answer as I please.

Having been to both places, Toronto by a wide margin on nearly every criteria except weather and location (even that is debatable). And I will also note that I have a very favorable view of San Diego. It's a fun, ***laid back*** city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City