Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which you prefer?
San Diego 69 57.98%
Toronto 50 42.02%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2020, 02:13 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,537,276 times

Advertisements

fair statement....people don't go to NYC for Jones Beach--they go for Manhattan....if you are a person into a beach, warmer winter, access to desert, etc then you will be a fish out of water in Toronto and prefer San Diego...if you are used to (more) big boy city urban amenities you will likely outgrow San Diego faster than and/or will prefer Toronto....some people live in or visit cities solely for urban amenities; others do so for something as simple as climate/weather. Different strokes for different strokes or there are also other choices for urban beachfront. Interesting binary choice--SD v Toronto--to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post

So to me I prefer a city like Toronto when it comes to how I like cities. But at this moment I want to be somewhere warm and by the ocean so I would live in SD. I wouldn't live in SD because I think the city is so great nor do I think it's that great of a city, rather it's just meeting my current needs. Basically I wouldn't be living in SD because of the city, I find it bland, it would be strictly for the weather and being by the ocean.

Last edited by elchevere; 11-13-2020 at 02:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2020, 02:46 PM

1,260 posts, read 943,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
fair statement....people don't go to NYC for Jones Beach--they go for Manhattan....if you are a person into a beach, warmer winter, access to desert, etc then you will be a fish out of water in Toronto and prefer San Diego...if you are used to (more) big boy city urban amenities you will likely outgrow San Diego faster than and/or will prefer Toronto....some people live in or visit cities solely for urban amenities; others do so for something as simple as climate/weather. Different strokes for different strokes or there are also other choices for urban beachfront. Interesting binary choice--SD v Toronto--to say the least.
Agreed. One can choose to live in a city that is not their favorite or preferred type of city, but do so for other important reasons. You can like Toronto more a city and prefer the type of city it is over SD, but still prefer to live in SD for various reasons that really don't have as much to do with how it is as a city.

Old 11-13-2020, 03:52 PM

747 posts, read 496,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
While I haven’t been since my college days in the 90’s, Toronto is one of North America’s great cities, top 5 for sure. With that said, the quality of life in San Diego is better than any major city on this continent, and for me that trumps everything.
This phrase needs to be highlighted, because it must be plainly stated that it’s your criteria. Quality of life is a wholly subjective sentiment, and in my honest opinion, Toronto absolutely obliterates San Diego in every single measure, quality of life included.

Many people from San Diego love to tout the weather, but I love the change of seasons in Toronto. I also love living in a city’s CBD, and for me, it’s a huge quality of life issue to encounter lots of homeless people, like San Diego has downtown. Way too many bums, way too many tweakers, way too many panhandlers. I lived in SF and it was very discouraging to have friends visit from out of town, showing them around downtown and seeing the homeless crisis front and center. San Diego is not as bad but it’s getting there.

Give me Toronto 100/100 times. It has its own issues but at least you get the benefits of a world-class city. The only reason San Diego is winning this poll is because this is in an American forum. In the real world, San Diego is okay but isn’t in Toronto’s stratosphere.

Old 11-13-2020, 04:30 PM

676 posts, read 646,949 times
I'd rather live in San Diego and yet can acknowledge Toronto is the far more "influential" and "major" city of the two. It'll offer a lot more to urbanists and certain careers, but I think the lifestyle is much more pleasant in SD.

Old 11-13-2020, 06:50 PM

955 posts, read 609,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
I don't get this. If you are choosing San Diego, then why say that Toronto wins the poll...

I think everyone is agreeing that San Diego really only outshines Toronto in 2-3 categories. That has been established. Ultimately the question is what do people prefer? Based on the poll...San Diego.

It doesn't matter if Toronto is more interesting, important, better, etc. Ultimately you chose San Diego. Clearly all those advantages of Toronto didn't matter enough for you to choose it over San Diego. So why vote for Toronto when you prefer San Diego? The OP was very clear: which one do you prefer? Not which one wins more categories or would be generally preferable to others.
Because it's a tradition for people on C-D not read the title of the poll

The theme of this thread is "which do you prefer" yet somehow people are arguing over someone else's preferences.

Old 11-14-2020, 11:17 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
Toronto in every conceivable way but one. I hate the cold too much.

San Diego's urbanity is ok and starting to get good. Its weather would encourage me to be out enjoying it.

Old 11-14-2020, 11:52 AM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
Because it's a tradition for people on C-D not read the title of the poll

The theme of this thread is "which do you prefer" yet somehow people are arguing over someone else's preferences.
Or maybe it's because of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL63 View Post
based on:

quality of life
economy
nightlife
scenery
daytime activities/events
shopping/entertainment venues
transportation
overall vibe
Based on this, Toronto by a mile, and this is what's been discussed ad nauseum in this thread.

Is this thread asking which we prefer? Or which we prefer based on these criteria?

The thread is essentially asking for two different things, and people are responding as such. Not that hard to understand.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 11-14-2020 at 12:12 PM..

Old 11-14-2020, 12:02 PM

I rarely respond based on an OP's specific criteria, and I bet most other people don't either.

One reason is simple. While I've visited most places including these, I don't know them well enough to grade them on specifics that would require residency to understand. How many people have spent at least a few months in each city?

Old 11-14-2020, 11:01 PM

955 posts, read 609,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Or maybe it's because of this?

Based on this, Toronto by a mile, and this is what's been discussed ad nauseum in this thread.

Is this thread asking which we prefer? Or which we prefer based on these criteria?

The thread is essentially asking for two different things, and people are responding as such. Not that hard to understand.
It's which do you prefer based on those criteria, which all comes down to personal preference. Frankly someone could make a perfectly valid choice in SD even for things like transportation if, for example, they prefer not having to drive in snow.

Quite different from a thread asking for more objective responses.

Old 11-15-2020, 10:53 AM

Good point. Someone's idea of great nightlife could literally be one pub in a small town, because they'll know most of the people there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City